Hypothetical new MSG design question

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Has anyone ever been to the old Boston Garden? That's the type of seating I would like.
I was there. The problem (from a financial perspective) is that there were no suites and cramped seating. Of course, this allowed all commoner seats to be closer to the rink. Those days are gone. I sat two rows from the top and felt like I could reach out and touch the players.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I went to the old Maple Leaf Gardens...
Didn't the Maple Leaf Garden have really weird seating? Weren't the seats behind the goals stacked right on top of each other, but the seats on either sides of the benches and penalty box really far away similar to MSG, but lower to the ice? It was built that way as it had to fit into a footprint of a city block?

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
If a new MSG were to be built, would you want the seating bowl to be the same with the same ceiling as well, but just larger concourses, more bathrooms, better ingress/egress or would you prefer to have a new seating bowl design and an exposed rafters altogether? MSG has a unique seating bowl, in that it's not a very tall arena, so you're not high up if you're in the upper section, but you are further back from the ice. Compared to newer arenas where you're very high up, but closer to the ice. For example the Bell Centre is massive and sitting in the upper deck you are super high up and steep, but not as far back as MSG.
I prefer further back and a less steep view. I hate it when everything is so vertical.

Reactions: mas0764

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Didn't the Maple Leaf Garden have really weird seating? Weren't the seats behind the goals stacked right on top of each other, but the seats on either sides of the benches and penalty box really far away similar to MSG, but lower to the ice? It was built that way as it had to fit into a footprint of a city block?
1713126689934.png

It was almost Barclaysesque in the way those seats sat at each end, and the corners were squared off.

Reactions: JRinNYC

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
View attachment 851773
It was almost Barclaysesque in the way those seats sat at each end, and the corners were squared off.
Surprised people didn't fall to their deaths on the ends. On a side note, I'm bummed out that I never got to go to the old arenas, like Boston Garden, Montreal Forum, Maple Leaf Gardens, Chicago Stadium, MSG III (way before I was even born) and Olympia Stadium (was about 4 or so when they closed).

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Oooh, I'm going to like this thread. I have OPINIONS about what a new arena should have.

The "new generation" of arenas starting with Anaheim, Boston, etc. are starting to age out, and they all suffered from a degree of sameness and blandness that robbed fans of any kind of unique character from city to city.

We need a few must-haves to modernize:
- Steeper seating bowl like you mentioned they have in Montreal. There's still too much "DOWN IN FRONT!" needed at the Garden
- Front seats right up against the glass all the way around the rink
- Dressing room access directly from both benches
- Longer distance between glass panel seams
- Better ice by any means necessary
- No obstructed views. The bridge is an interesting gimmick, but obstructing the view of the scoreboard for thousands of people is not the way to go about it
- For the love of f***, emergency exits that are up to code

Nice-to-haves:
- Overall seating capacity for hockey over 20,000
- More leg room and consistent seat pitch across the entire arena
- Cup holder at every seat
- Luxury boxes that are similar in number but don't feel like they separate bowls as much
- Actual customizable horn
- More bathrooms
- More/wider/higher concourses
- More views of the street from concourses
- Similar unique roof but with a lot more head room to allow for steeper bowl and a bigger scorebaord
- LED informational signage the whole circumference of the arena
- Intuitive section and seat numbering
- Some ability to walk the circumference of the arena while inside it (MSG used to have this on 6 and 7 - newer arenas tend to have it all the way in the back, or at least partially, like at UBS arena)

One thing I would like to add here, is the barriers between rows like they have at the arena in Toronto in the upper bowl. Not only is it safer for people walking through rows, it allows the person in the seat to "lean forward" and in my experience you're much more engaged in the game if you have the option to lean in, rather than sit back.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
One thing I would like to add here, is the barriers between rows like they have at the arena in Toronto in the upper bowl. Not only is it safer for people walking through rows, it allows the person in the seat to "lean forward" and in my experience you're much more engaged in the game if you have the option to lean in, rather than sit back.
They have those railings in Vancouver as well, but there are signs all over not to lean on the rails as it blocks the view from the person sitting behind you. When I was there back in Oct to see the Rangers, an usher went up to some kids sitting a few rows in front of me and told them to sit back and not lean on the rails. I didn't see any signs about leaning on the rails up in Montreal.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They have those railings in Vancouver as well, but there are signs all over not to lean on the rails as it blocks the view from the person sitting behind you. When I was there back in Oct to see the Rangers, an usher went up to some kids sitting a few rows in front of me and told them to sit back and not lean on the rails. I didn't see any signs about leaning on the rails up in Montreal.

Yeah, in Toronto the seats are structured differently. Toronto, from my own memories, has steeper stands which allow for fans to lean into the game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I went to the old Maple Leaf Gardens and Montreal Forum that were similar. Those arenas were teeny tiny by today's standards, but the fans were RIGHT ON TOP of the play, and players could hear them for sure.

They also smelled like a mix of cigarettes, mustard, and piss.
They all just smell like popcorn now.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I'm reporting you to the moderators.
LOL
It was so good, it was when the Canucks were in town in 2011 and they had those little Pizza Hut Pan Pizzas. Idk why they got rid of em :(

Another upgrade though idk if people would be fond of it since MSG is so iconic and kinda old school looking, I love LED stanchions. They add so much to the pre game presentation and seeing those flashing red when your team scores (like the Canucks have) just creates such a cool atmosphere and makes the goals feel bigger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
LOL
It was so good, it was when the Canucks were in town in 2011 and they had those little Pizza Hut Pan Pizzas. Idk why they got rid of em :(

Another upgrade though idk if people would be fond of it since MSG is so iconic and kinda old school looking, I love LED stanchions. They add so much to the pre game presentation and seeing those flashing red when your team scores (like the Canucks have) just creates such a cool atmosphere and makes the goals feel bigger
I would be cool with that.

I mean, they added the giant lights to the outside of MSG and that's been a huge hit.

bdf70c_eb0b3d5c0f53465db8102b66cfe195a5~mv2.jpg

The arena looks breath-taking when the team is in town. The pictures don't do it justice.

128639.jpg

Looks good for the Knicks too.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I would be cool with that.

I mean, they added the giant lights to the outside of MSG and that's been a huge hit.

View attachment 852116

The arena looks breath-taking when the team is in town. The pictures don't do it justice.

View attachment 852117

Looks good for the Knicks too.
It looks like Barclay Goodrow is late for the game in the first picture. Gotta make that turn a little quicker

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I think the LED stanchions would look cool at MSG. I was also thinking the other day it would be cool if they put LEDs up in the ceiling where the suspension cables are routed to hold up the roof. They could program it to turn red during a goal and chase itself mimicking one large goal light.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
I think the LED stanchions would look cool at MSG. I was also thinking the other day it would be cool if they put LEDs up in the ceiling where the suspension cables are routed to hold up the roof. They could program it to turn red during a goal and chase itself mimicking one large goal light.
Lighting technology has advanced insanely fast in the last decade. We will see more and more things like this make their way into sports venues, I'm sure. You already get a little hint of it in San Jose.

1713221137963.png

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
View attachment 851773
There used to be a portrait of Queen Elizabeth at one end. Harold Ballard had it removed, and he stacked additional steep seats at one end of the building.

LOL

Because I retired. (I actually put them in originally)

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
There used to be a portrait of Queen Elizabeth at one end. Harold Ballard had it removed, and he stacked additional steep seats at one end of the building.

Because I retired. (I actually put them in originally)
I remember the portrait of the Queen in Winnipeg, not Toronto. But it could have easily been both.

JRinNYC

Section 227
Sponsor
May 11, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Lighting technology has advanced insanely fast in the last decade. We will see more and more things like this make their way into sports venues, I'm sure. You already get a little hint of it in San Jose.

View attachment 852294
Those LEDs are attached to the seats correct? I know MSG hands out the LED bracelet come playoffs. I think I have a bag full of them waiting to e-cycle them. Such a waste since you really can’t do anything with them.

Another cool thing I wish MSG did would do is print your name and team logo on a sticker if you’re a season ticket holder for the Rangers and Knicks and place it on your seat.

Megustaelhockey

Apr 29, 2011
Those LEDs are attached to the seats correct? I know MSG hands out the LED bracelet come playoffs. I think I have a bag full of them waiting to e-cycle them. Such a waste since you really can’t do anything with them.

Another cool thing I wish MSG did would do is print your name and team logo on a sticker if you’re a season ticket holder for the Rangers and Knicks and place it on your seat.
I'm too private of a person for that. I'd want mine to say W. Gretzky.

• Haha
Reactions: JRinNYC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad