Proposal: Hypothetical mid-late 2 1st round picks

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I think it's unlikely people are going to want to move down if the draft is as deep as some seem to hope.

On the contrary - if the draft is as deep as people say, teams should be more willing to move down. Since a deep draft means that there is still great talent to be had in the 20s, and not a big drop-off after the top-tier. That's what depth means.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
On the contrary - if the draft is as deep as people say, teams should be more willing to move down. Since a deep draft means that there is still great talent to be had in the 20s, and not a big drop-off after the top-tier. That's what depth means.

Exactly.

If the draft is as deep as scouts are saying it is, then they wouldn't mind trading down to still get a high quality player. It would make teams more interested in those late 1st/early-mid 2nd round picks.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I actually would be trying to package some of those picks plus Cody Hodgson and perhaps more for the following players:

- Sean Couturier
- Wayne Simmonds
- Anyone or any pick(s) else here

Add/Subtract from either side whatever needs to be done.

Philly is a team that pulls these moves off. If they do as poorly this season as they're headed towards doing, maybe they "re-tool" a little bit and a couple of first rounders in this draft would probably be helpful to them. In turn, we'd get 2 SKILLED YOUNG forwards at great cap hits to help our team immediately. If we got McDavid, and let's say Grigo/Reinhart are in our top 6 as well...this would let Sean Couturier be the shut down center on the 3rd line and sheltering our young guys. Have Wayne Simmonds in there as a grinder/skilled power forward and also protecting guys like McDavid and Reinhart, etc...

With this turn around next season, we could make a 180 degree turn around and instantly start seeing ALOT of improvement w/ this team

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Totally true, and yet, you can argue, that unless this person you're trading up for is a clear tier of prospect, higher (which I assume most teams wouldn't trade down from) why is it worth giving up the extra prospects?

Trading down is what smart teams do to continue to gather and build prospect depth, I know some people are on a "we have too many prospects" kick, but until they actually show what they can do in either the NHL or at least AHL, I'm not convinced we should package up picks in good drafts unless it's for somebody who's NHL proven (which is hard to find/do as well).

I suppose it comes down to how much people trust Murray's drafting/talent evaluation, but it's interesting to see this type of thread when some already didn't seem thrilled about the Fasching trade for example.

Eram

Jul 21, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Totally true, and yet, you can argue, that unless this person you're trading up for is a clear tier of prospect, higher (which I assume most teams wouldn't trade down from) why is it worth giving up the extra prospects?

Trading down is what smart teams do to continue to gather and build prospect depth, I know some people are on a "we have too many prospects" kick, but until they actually show what they can do in either the NHL or at least AHL, I'm not convinced we should package up picks in good drafts unless it's for somebody who's NHL proven (which is hard to find/do as well).

I suppose it comes down to how much people trust Murray's drafting/talent evaluation, but it's interesting to see this type of thread when some already didn't seem thrilled about the Fasching trade for example.

Dependes on each team's board really. If all of their "Tier 2" players are gone by Pick 11, and they have a dozen guys in "Tier 3", then it makes sense to move down.

rowf

Jan 25, 2014
Kelowna, BC, Canada
With the NHL stating 2 expansion teams upcoming, take Isles/Blues 1st and move backup the draft.

No sense having an overflowing cupboard for Vegas and Seattle team to pilfer

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Well, the NHL hasn't stated anything, and nobody knows when/if these expansion teams come into existence (though I would assume before the current CBA ends so the NHLPA can't try to get in on some of the take).

I don't think any expansion draft has let them take prospects, it's usually players with x amount of nhl experience. Each expansion has been a somewhat unique setup/rules from what I remember.

Random excuses for not continuing to build prospects is silly. You can never have enough, they can never be too good, any "excess" can be moved for future/developed talent.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I actually would be trying to package some of those picks plus Cody Hodgson and perhaps more for the following players:

- Sean Couturier
- Wayne Simmonds

Philly is a team that pulls these moves off. If they do as poorly this season as they're headed towards doing, maybe they "re-tool" a little bit and a couple of first rounders in this draft would probably be helpful to them. In turn, we'd get 2 SKILLED YOUNG forwards at great cap hits to help our team immediately. If we got McDavid, and let's say Grigo/Reinhart are in our top 6 as well...this would let Sean Couturier be the shut down center on the 3rd line and sheltering our young guys. Have Wayne Simmonds in there as a grinder/skilled power forward and also protecting guys like McDavid and Reinhart, etc...

With this turn around next season, we could make a 180 degree turn around and instantly start seeing ALOT of improvement w/ this team

I don't see the Flyers moving Couts or Simmonds.

Especially not for Hodgson and a pick or picks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
For reference, in 2012 we traded #21 + #42 for #14. Maybe #20 NYI and #25 STL could move it up to #12?

You could do #21+ #31 for a pick #12-14

The teams to target would be teams without a 2nd000you could see Dallas, Philadelphia, or Toronto in this area.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND

- Sean Couturier
- Wayne Simmonds

As much as I'd love to get one of them, specifically Couturier, I don't think Philly would be able to move either one of them without Buffalo giving up a core piece. I don't think Hodgson, NYI 1st, STL 1st, and BUF 2nd would be enough to even get one of them, but that could be a pretty enticing package.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $8,851.00