Proposal: Hypothetical mid-late 2 1st round picks

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Just a hypothetical question for you all who know more than me about trade values. Let's say we get the #1 overall and 2 picks in #20-#28 range. Obviously we get the prized possession in Connor McDavid. But what can we acquire in a trade for our 2 picks later in the first in this draft class as far as current NHL players/prospects further along in their development?

I'm thinking along the lines if maybe TM can get a good deal for his 2 first rounders (feel free to add to it if need be) to get NHL ready prospects who are a year or 2 into their development, or NHL roster players currently, that maybe he'd pull the trigger for more immediate help? I know some of you are completely against maybe trading our 2 late first rounders (hypothetical first rounders), but WHO could we get IF Murray were to make a trade?

Buffalo:
1st rounder (NYI)
1st rounder (St. Louis)

for

??

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Just a hypothetical question for you all who know more than me about trade values. Let's say we get the #1 overall and 2 picks in #20-#28 range. Obviously we get the prized possession in Connor McDavid. But what can we acquire in a trade for our 2 picks later in the first in this draft class as far as current NHL players/prospects further along in their development?

I'm thinking along the lines if maybe TM can get a good deal for his 2 first rounders (feel free to add to it if need be) to get NHL ready prospects who are a year or 2 into their development, or NHL roster players currently, that maybe he'd pull the trigger for more immediate help? I know some of you are completely against maybe trading our 2 late first rounders (hypothetical first rounders), but WHO could we get IF Murray were to make a trade?

Buffalo:
1st rounder (NYI)
1st rounder (St. Louis)

for

??

Don't forget we would also have pick #31 in that scenario.

So we would have THREE picks within that range to play with.

I'd be cool with trading two of those three, or maybe even all three if the return was great.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Oh wow I forgot we also had #31, okay so definitely add that...and this is in a DEEP draft class that's been touted about so that's definitely a plus.

You can add whoever you want

I would definitely add Hodgson in there, perhaps others as well. You can feel free to add whomeever you'd like to any trade proposal, that way I can see what the value would be for this deal IF it were to happen (I kinda hope we get help next season and not further down the road).

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
If it is deep as expected, trade off more players for pucks and either package the pucks to move up to a grab a guy or make the picks.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
This. Whatever gets us back into the top 10 or 5 if possible.

I think the OP was looking more for a current player (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been said many times, the Sabres need young established players much more than they need another pick. Obviously higher picks mean better players but at some point some of those picks/young players will be 'sweetener' for a top of the line trade. Most people agree, we've got an overwhelming cupboard of guaranteed bottom six'ers. Packaging a few for the first liners of our Cup team is the next step.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
I think the OP was looking more for a current player (correct me if I'm wrong). It's been said many times, the Sabres need young established players much more than they need another pick. Obviously higher picks mean better players but at some point some of those picks/young players will be 'sweetener' for a top of the line trade. Most people agree, we've got an overwhelming cupboard of guaranteed bottom six'ers. Packaging a few for the first liners of our Cup team is the next step.

Correct!

Sorry I should of been more specific guys. But I'm interested in hearing what established NHL players or ready for the NHL top prospects we could get with the package deal being the foundation.

We have plenty of picks, and plenty of HIGH-end prospects that are ready to bust into the NHL by next season for sure. On top of that, if TM doesn't believe in 5 year rebuilds, then maybe he packages some of this stuff for a big trade...that's along the lines of what I'm thinking.

I would of started off with a trade proposal but I honestly don't know the value like some of you guys do.

1st round (NYI)
1st round (St. Louis)
Pick #31

You can also add in, for example: Cody Hodgson (even though he's a young guy), or Marcus Foligno, etc...or ANY roster player/prospect.

Let's hear about who we can get that can make an immediate impact in 2015-2016 that's currently in the NHL.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I prefer keeping this year's picks and trading for established guys after next year. That has been my plan all along and I'm sticking to it. Sorry to be a party pooper.

Would have. Sorry. I know you're trying to gauge value but I want to wait.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I prefer keeping this year's picks and trading for established guys after next year. That has been my plan all along and I'm sticking to it. Sorry to be a party pooper.

This is most likely what is going to happen. And it wouldn't bother me either.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The only guys that you can realistically target with packages like that are guys that teams with cap issues deem expendable or talented players that have worn out their welcome where they are and also are deemed expendable.

The Evander Kane stuff has died down, but that is the type of guy that you might be able to target with a package like that.

The really interesting thing is the talk that the cap may not grow for 2015-16.

If that is the case, the Sabres start calling teams like Chicago that are going to have cap issues and see what they can do.

Philly is really only in trouble over the summer until Pronger goes back on LTIR and gives them around $5M more to use.

Last edited:

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I'd package Cody Hodgson, whichever 1st is the lowest, and one of our 2nds for a legit top line winger. Might have to add a bit to get someone elite, but we have the assets to do so. No reason why we shouldn't unless we're being robbed blind. That's if we can get our hands on McSavior.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Maybe, but we know that Tim Murray is not averse to dealing some of our stockpile of picks rather than using them all.

We know that he tried to move some or all three of our 2nd rounders this past summer to try to get back into the 1st round.

If we wind up having three picks in the 20-31 range, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Murray again tries to deal some/all of them, either to move up or to get a player or prospect.

DeadGhost

Ugistered Reger
Feb 15, 2010
Any "Russian Factor" guys in this draft? With 3 picks in that range I'd take a flyer on a high risk/high reward guy with one of them.

ZeroPT*

What position of player would we target with that? If be willing to package CoHo and a 1st for an upgrade at center.

ZeroPT*

Any "Russian Factor" guys in this draft? With 3 picks in that range I'd take a flyer on a high risk/high reward guy with one of them.

Kotostolev and provorov are two CHL Russians that might slide a la scherbak.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I'd package Cody Hodgson, whichever 1st is the lowest, and one of our 2nds for a legit top line winger. Might have to add a bit to get someone elite, but we have the assets to do so. No reason why we shouldn't unless we're being robbed blind. That's if we can get our hands on McSavior.

That would never buy a top line winger. A low 1 and a 2 have relatively little value.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Yeah, putting Hodgson in a package isn't exactly adding value right now. I wouldn't mind trading for a both picks for a very good defenseman, or trading up in the draft, but it's too early to think about.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

What position of player would we target with that? If be willing to package CoHo and a 1st for an upgrade at center.

That would never buy a top line winger. A low 1 and a 2 have relatively little value.

Yeah, putting Hodgson in a package isn't exactly adding value right now. I wouldn't mind trading for a both picks for a very good defenseman, or trading up in the draft, but it's too early to think about.

Unless something changes between now and the end of the season or you have a GM out there that has loved CoHo for a long time and thinks that he can get back to his CHL POTY level on their club, I don't see CoHo + a mid to late 1st really having a ton of value.

Add in that his contract isn't a value at this point and I don't see anyone really giving up much of anything for CoHo.

The only CoHo deal I could foresee is a change of scenery deal where CoHo moves for a similar player that isn't playing up to his contract but that Murray feels might blossom with a change in scenery.

Who that might be is anyone's guess....

:dunno:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
For reference, in 2012 we traded #21 + #42 for #14. Maybe #20 NYI and #25 STL could move it up to #12?

I think that is something that could happen.

Murray tried to turn a volume of picks into a quality pick last year and never got it done. I could see him trying that again if that is the area that those two picks land.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
I think it's unlikely people are going to want to move down if the draft is as deep as some seem to hope.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Teams are going to resist trading a low #1 for the same reasons BUF would want it. The best target would be a rebuilding team with very low prospect depth. WSH, CAR, TOR cross my mind, but they also need high end talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00