Injury Report: Hyman knee-on-knee (Update May 10: Back at practice)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Get real

Hyman is a hell of a player who would help us during the playoffs but this team is still capable of winning without him

We still have the big 4 up front and the best defensive core we've had in decades
Not likely .. we will have Zach, Wayner and Foligno to get us through round 1 .. none of our core has shown any ability in past to fight through tougher reduced space hockey which is playoff hockey .. those 3 guys will have to carry this team in playoffs and I think they will .. you need a few skill guys to score no doubt but that's pretty much all they bring to table .. rest of guys have to be warriors .. and we need a quality tender which is a worrisome issue again

Reactions: Cobra777

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I bet Hyman does give a crap about a possibly career-earning contract that will set him up for life.

Not that it matters but he’s already independently wealthy through his family...that’s why I value him so much...he doesn’t need to go through the crap he does yet he does it because he wants to be a leaf and cares

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
What is all this talk of leafs being the sabres without hyman? People acting like we just lost matthews LOL

Hyman is a good support player and very useful but he is no where near our MVP. People need to calm down with this hyman hype.

Reactions: LFCTML

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
What does make me kinda optimistic about this not being worst case scenario is that those types of injuries (torn ligaments) tend to happen when your leg is planted, since every bit of that force is going to the knee. Hyman's leg isn't firmly planted into the ice and leaves the ice fairly without much resistance, with not that much hyperextension to the knee, looking at it again.

It's the awkward collisions when your leg is planted or those awkward collisions along the boards (like what happened to Robertson earlier this year, or what happened to Johnsson last year or Hyman the year before)... hell, sometimes even complete non-contact situations of just landing the wrong way after hopping. That's where the really nasty ones happen. Knee on knee hits can definitely result in torn up knees, but with the way Hyman's leg wasn't firmly planted to the ice as contact was made, I think he might've gotten away with just a really nasty bruise.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
He probably gets 2 games. This team has shown it's true colours for 45 games. They are not going to suddenly change, even after Foligno gets into the lineup.
Simmonds done nothing in retaliation either. Remember all the big talk from him when he signed? What was the line, i can play the game and punch some faces or something like that ha. All talk.

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
Not likely .. we will have Zach, Wayner and Foligno to get us through round 1 .. none of our core has shown any ability in past to fight through tougher reduced space hockey which is playoff hockey .. those 3 guys will have to carry this team in playoffs and I think they will .. you need a few skill guys to score no doubt but that's pretty much all they bring to table .. rest of guys have to be warriors .. and we need a quality tender which is a worrisome issue again

Matthews has stepped and been our best player for 3/4 playoff series he's been so far, so I don't buy that

Marner and Nylander on the other hand.... Marner has had 1.5 good series and Nylander has had a pretty bad playoff record so far.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Not to sound dramatic but I'm of the opinion we can't lose Hyman and win come playoff time.

This team needs Zach Hyman to go on a deep run.

He is as significant a loss as any of the big 4 'come playoff time' yes I said it and I stand by that all that skill gets nullified real quick in the playoffs and it becomes more about winning battles all over the ice.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Weak goaltending like we witnessed last night and from Freddy this year is their achilles heel.

ITs a problem alright but Andersen and Campbell have shown they can play well over short periods

That happens the goaltending becomes a strength rather than a weakness

Reactions: ToneDog

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews has stepped and been our best player for 3/4 playoff series he's been so far, so I don't buy that

Marner and Nylander on the other hand.... Marner has had 1.5 good series and Nylander has had a pretty bad playoff record so far.
Matty is best bet of all 3 but he clearly is not a Dougie or a Teeder to carry team on his back and win at all costs .. he is progressing and I think he might get there ... Mitch and Willy never will ... they are ok if they score but that's it .. too small and not strong enough when things get heavy and tight

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Matthews was all world last playoffs and Marner has taken his game to another level and we've insulated the skill guys better so we are better equiped for the playoffs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Matthews was all world last playoffs and Marner has taken his game to another level and we've insulated the skill guys better so we are better equiped for the playoffs
To me all world is carry team like Dougie did ... win or go home .. that is why they call him KILLER

Reactions: LeafsRus

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Not to sound dramatic but I'm of the opinion we can't lose Hyman and win come playoff time.

This team needs Zach Hyman to go on a deep run.

He is as significant a loss as any of the big 4 'come playoff time' yes I said it and I stand by that all that skill gets nullified real quick in the playoffs and it becomes more about winning battles all over the ice.

Not this team's forte is it?

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Matthews is the best of Marner and Nylander, specifically in the playoffs the past few series. But I find Matthews will play down to a struggling Marner level as opposed to dragging Marner up to play a stronger mature NHL playoff game. Marner’s cute game does not translate against defensive checking systems.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Really glad Foligno is coming in otherwise this team would be screwed in the toughness department.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad