Speculation: Hutton/Del Zotto trade

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
We’re not in a position to trade a young player like Hutton for a 3rd. Let’s at least see what he, and everyone else, does at camp first

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
We’re not in a position to trade a young player like Hutton for a 3rd. Let’s at least see what he, and everyone else, does at camp first
Yepp absolutly..speed is part of the game now..he can rush the puck.where Guddy is like a bag of cement.I would not be moving him right now..lets get these guys to camp and battle it out.
Im sure there will be some trades comming at forward tho..

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Hutton isn't worth a 3rd right now sadly. He's not young enough

Id guess he's worth around a 5rh, perhaps a 4th if a team is desperate.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Were going to trade Del Zotto and keep Hutton.

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi/Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Let Juolevi and Hughes battle it out. Juolevi can go to AHL or Hughes back to Michigan if they aren’t ready.
Juolevi has back surgery in the offseason. So he didn’t get a chance to improve during the summer. He’ll just be getting back into shape by the time camp opens. Likely he starts in the ahl and come up after injuries hit which it always does.

Hughes , I just want him to play wherever is going to make him a better Dman down the road. If that’s back at Michigan, Utica or Vancouver. Don’t really care. What’s best for him.

I am surprised we are not hearing elders name. Given the disaster of the hamhuis situation I am shocked that there is nothing on edler. Exactly the same scenario now as it was 3 years ago.

Both are going to be ufa 15 years after their draft year so when they are 33. Both hold ntc going into their final season. So, is he going to get extended? Neither guy wanted or wants to leave. Hamhuis only gave the Canucks 2 teams when they finally asked him to waive when the tdl approached. I doubt edler gives more than 3 teams if he does waive.

If edler has already been asked to waive and he said no, someone is going to have to take the PR hit for that, due to the hamhuis situation. Can either lay it on edler for not waiving or have the team take the brunt of it when they don’t move him and let him walk.

Fans mostly accepted that the twins didn’t waive but it was 2 of them and $10.5 million t move with retention. And likely teams weren’t going t spend their cap space on 2 scorers. Most would want 1 of them and use the remaining cap space t get a defensive forward or Dman.

Edler is way easier to move from a hockey POV. Just a matter of whether he is willing to go. iMO, if he gets dealt it should be by August. Slows him to settle in with his young family and he can negotiate an extension to stay where he gets traded.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Man, Vancouver is overstocked at every position. How many of their players are exempt from waivers? Because they could be losing some depth before the season starts if they're not selling off some of these guys.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
hear me out, the Canucks currently have 8 d men signed to 1 way contracts.

This does not include Hughes or Juolevi.

The Canucks can not go into the season with 10 d men. Even if you consider Juolevi could start in the AHL, Hughes is already 2nd or 3rd best on the Canucks.

Either way, something has to give and I’m going to depart from the never ending Tanev rumours.

Hutton had a down year last year but scored 30 points as a rookie. He makes 2.8 million and will be an rfa. Overall low risk. He was a regular healthy scratch and it doesn’t seem logical to keep a guy the coach clearly doesn’t trust.

Canucks host the draft next year and Benning is on record saying he wants picks.

Hutton to your team for 3rd rounder.

I think NYI could be a fit, what’s your offer?

MDZ is solid and only makes 2.5 million. He played every game last year and would be a great 3rd line d man.

I want a 3rd or him as well. What’s your offer?

I really think that if Benning could acquire a couple of picks then the signing he made this offseason won’t look so bad.

And let’s not even get started on the crazy log jam the Canucks have on forward.

Hutton for a third?

Maybe a 5th

Superlative Soup

Treasured and Marveled
Apr 8, 2013
Saskatchewan
Man, Vancouver is overstocked at every position. How many of their players are exempt from waivers? Because they could be losing some depth before the season starts if they're not selling off some of these guys.
Depth is too kind, I'd say the Canucks have too many warm bodies.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Depth is too kind, I'd say the Canucks have too many warm bodies.

I hear you.

But some positions it's enviable. Goaltending, for example, with Markstrom/Nilsson/Demko. All 3 are NHL calibre. If Nilsson gets sent to the AHL, then he's a good guy to have as a #3.

Edit: I'm getting off topic. A 3rd would be fair from a team needing a lefty blueliner. Hutton or MDZ will have some teams sniffing around.

Feb 24, 2017
You’re going to call me a straaight up liar because in 2015 he scored 25 points not 30 as a rookie?

I’m really stoked you were able to do some hard digging. You know, I really thought that if I could just sneak those 5 points by you that it might really inflate his value.

Hey everyone, thank god for leaf fan for life!!! Thank you so much, without you we would all be such liars. Thank you for holding me accountable!!

More than any hockey player, you and you alone bring so much value to this chat. And I’m just positive that you bring the same quality opinions to your everyday life.

Keep being great leafs fan!!!! Sorry couldn’t find a clown emoji.
:joker: Close enough

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Del Zotto@15% retained for McCarron and 4th round pick 2020? He would be a better option than Alzner or Schlemko for the #4 spot.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
i would not move either player for anything short of a 2nd round pick.

Del Zotto was -16 by Jan 4th last year. i thought he was pretty good the 1st month also but extremely unlucky.

from then:

41 games 5g 5a +8 24 of those games he was over 20min and led the team in hits.Thats a pretty good accomplishment for being on a really bad team.
He's 28 and highly serviceable. The party days have curtailed and he has both grown his overall game and become a good leader. still not a defensive stalwart but the conversations about it being bad are highly exaggerated

Ben Hutton is not currently worth a 2nd but the smart play to do is see if he can come into camp in way better shape and focus on being a steady reliable defender instead of an offensive player. That ship has sailed as he just doesn't move the epuck quick enough and his shot is below average and we just drafted Quinn Hughes. The presence of Pouliot and Del Zotto last year deeply affected Huttons confidence and rope from Green once things went poorly. He was ok out of the gate and very good in November. He should have enough experience now to make some traction if he focuses on what he needs to do to have success. Has nice size and skates well but for some reason he lost a gear last season...rumors and reports was conditioning issues.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Hutton and Del Zotto are the kind of d-men you try and move at the trade deadline...but although both were rumored to be on the block last year but no takers obviously. That should tell you something.
Neither were on the block. We literally went through 12 diff D last year due to injuries. This TDL I think we see at least 3 D moved.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Neither were on the block. We literally went through 12 diff D last year due to injuries. This TDL I think we see at least 3 D moved.

10 actually

Tanev Edler Hutton Stecher MDZ Gudbranson Pouliot Biega.

Holm only played 1 game and Sautner played 5 games. Both played there first game towards the end of the season.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He’s NHL ready that’s the problem.
So there isn't 1 player who will play in the NCAA this year who is NHL ready?

It's not a problem. It's just impatience of fans of a bad team who want to see a bright shiny toy in the lineup. There's nothing wrong with an 18 year old kid playing somewhere else other than the NHL. In no way will it hurt his game to play another year at Michigan.

It's not a problem.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Let Hughes have another year to devleop. Problem solved.
I suppose if you're writing off the season before it begins, than sending Hughes back to Michigan 'solves the problem'. The real 'problem' though is that Hughes is already better than both Hutton and Del Zotto, and really won't benefit all that much playing just 40 games in college. Playing sheltered minutes in VanCity and then gradually increasing his ice-time as the season evolves, would do far more for his development.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I suppose if you're writing off the season before it begins, than sending Hughes back to Michigan 'solves the problem'. The real 'problem' though is that Hughes is already better than both Hutton and Del Zotto,
Hard to say that definitively when he hasn't played a second of hockey in a professional league. I love the kid and he has a great future, but he has not proven he's better than any NHL players yet.

and really won't benefit all that much playing just 40 games in college

This just isn't true at all. He has things he can work on in college. If he'd lead the NCAA in pts or pts per game for a D, sure and if he dominated defensively, ok.

He had a very good freshman year. He's a really really good prospect but let him dominate in one league, get more physically mature, and prove that he's ready before you start trading players away to reserve a spot for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad