Speculation: Hutton/Del Zotto trade

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
hear me out, the Canucks currently have 8 d men signed to 1 way contracts.

This does not include Hughes or Juolevi.

The Canucks can not go into the season with 10 d men. Even if you consider Juolevi could start in the AHL, Hughes is already 2nd or 3rd best on the Canucks.

Either way, something has to give and I’m going to depart from the never ending Tanev rumours.

Hutton had a down year last year but scored 30 points as a rookie. He makes 2.8 million and will be an rfa. Overall low risk. He was a regular healthy scratch and it doesn’t seem logical to keep a guy the coach clearly doesn’t trust.

Canucks host the draft next year and Benning is on record saying he wants picks.

Hutton to your team for 3rd rounder.

I think NYI could be a fit, what’s your offer?

MDZ is solid and only makes 2.5 million. He played every game last year and would be a great 3rd line d man.

I want a 3rd or him as well. What’s your offer?

I really think that if Benning could acquire a couple of picks then the signing he made this offseason won’t look so bad.

And let’s not even get started on the crazy log jam the Canucks have on forward.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
there are a lot of dmen still available in UFA better than these two

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The Canucks can not go into the season with 10 d men. Even if you consider Juolevi could start in the AHL, Hughes is already 2nd or 3rd best on the Canucks.

Either way, something has to give and I’m going to depart from the never ending Tanev rumours.

Hutton had a down year last year but scored 30 points as a rookie. He makes 2.8 million and will be an rfa. Overall low risk. He was a regular healthy scratch and it doesn’t seem logical to keep a guy the coach clearly doesn’t trust.

Canucks host the draft next year and Benning is on record saying he wants picks.

MDZ is solid and only makes 2.5 million. He played every game last year and would be a great 3rd line d man.

I really think that if Benning could acquire a couple of picks then the signing he made this offseason won’t look so bad.

And let’s not even get started on the crazy log jam the Canucks have on forward.

See the thing about straight up lying about a player's stats which you have done is that they can be looked up, According to hockey DB Ben Hutton has never scored 30 points at the NHL level he has a career high of 25 points in fact he hasn't scored 30 points since 10-11

Reactions: iSophagus

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Why sell low on Hutton? Ship off Del Zotto as he's a veteran and GMs love that ****.

Agreed. I'm critical of Ben Hutton sometimes, but only b/c he's not playing to his potential. At the very least, I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd pair/depth d-man this season. Would be interested in trading Michael Del Zotto, and Derrick Pouliot though; maybe let them battle it out 'til the end of training camp, so the younger guys pushing for spots can gain confidence knowing that they're better than those two. If all goes well, I'm hoping the d-group that starts the season will be:

Alex Edler-Chris Tanev
Olli Juolevi-Quinn Hughes
Ashton Sautner-Erik Gudbranson
Ben Hutton-Alex Biega/Troy Stecher

**possibly start Juolevi in the AHL on a conditioning stint, all the while dealing MDZ, Pouliot, etc

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
As an isles fan I’d do Hutton for a 3rd.
You really feel Hutton is an upgrade on Pelech or Pulock, on a 2nd pairing?

I think that like the Davidson trade,it'd be a waste of a 3rd. Isles do not need more 5-7 defensemen

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017

U ARE FAKE NEWS....WHAT DO U MEAN SPECULATION U JUST MADE IT UP.

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
See the thing about straight up lying about a player's stats which you have done is that they can be looked up, According to hockey DB Ben Hutton has never scored 30 points at the NHL level he has a career high of 25 points in fact he hasn't scored 30 points since 10-11
You’re going to call me a straaight up liar because in 2015 he scored 25 points not 30 as a rookie?

I’m really stoked you were able to do some hard digging. You know, I really thought that if I could just sneak those 5 points by you that it might really inflate his value.

Hey everyone, thank god for leaf fan for life!!! Thank you so much, without you we would all be such liars. Thank you for holding me accountable!!

More than any hockey player, you and you alone bring so much value to this chat. And I’m just positive that you bring the same quality opinions to your everyday life.

Keep being great leafs fan!!!! Sorry couldn’t find a clown emoji.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Can’t go into a season with 10 nhl d. I’m speculating that something has to give, it’s literally the definition of speculation.
Hes most likely trolling you, Id ignore

Anyways i guess Hutton is worth a 3rd or a lil better but i think hes a late bloomer and has shown flashes of something we havent seen yet in him in a more consistent package. I wish the Canucks could hire someone to iron out his weaknesses cause i think he could be a solid #3 or 4 for his career if he can calm down and play his game the right way

Del Zotto suprised Canucks fans last year how good he was. By good i mean by our lo expectations lol. I think he could easily be a #5 on a contender who would easy breasy slide to mid pairing when a injury occurs. Wait to the deadline and probably get a 2nd for him if he plays this way again this year

Reactions: exporta

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Hes most likely trolling you, Id ignore

Anyways i guess Hutton is worth a 3rd or a lil better but i think hes a late bloomer and has shown flashes of something we havent seen yet in him in a more consistent package. I wish the Canucks could hire someone to iron out his weaknesses cause i think he could be a solid #3 or 4 for his career if he can calm down and play his game the right way

Del Zotto suprised Canucks fans last year how good he was. By good i mean by our lo expectations lol. I think he could easily be a #5 on a contender who would easy breasy slide to mid pairing when a injury occurs. Wait to the deadline and probably get a 2nd for him if he plays this way again this year
I would rather keep Hutton and deal from a position of strength when he’s playing better.

I just wonder if they have a plan, does Edler resign? If not then how do you not approach him about a trade. Can’t lose him for nothing. He was the best Canucks d last year and would give any team a huge boost.

Hughes and Juolevi deserve at least a chance.

You could waive Biega but honestly he’s a perfect 7.

Tanev needs to play to increase his value before any trade.

Pouliot just resigned and has un tapped potential.

Stetcher is young, controllable and top 4 potential.

MDZ is decent but just not sure there’s room for him. Hutton I don’t think fits either.

Not to mention Sautner who was very solid in his cup of tea with the Canucks. Where do they all play?

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Were going to trade Del Zotto and keep Hutton.

Edler-Gudbranson
Juolevi/Hughes-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Pouliot/Biega

Let Juolevi and Hughes battle it out. Juolevi can go to AHL or Hughes back to Michigan if they aren’t ready.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Hutton and Del Zotto are the kind of d-men you try and move at the trade deadline...but although both were rumored to be on the block last year but no takers obviously. That should tell you something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad