Post-Game Talk: #Hutchisclutch! Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
This is true. Hutch played lights out no question, but I never really felt the Jets were on their heals and getting outplayed badly all game. A little at the end of the 2nd, but play seemed quite even other than then.

Actually I thought the first 7 minutes of the game they were getting dominated. After that, the teams were more evenly matched.

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Will we be in a playoff spot Nov 1? We should be within 4 points though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

In last week's 30 Thoughts, there was one statistic a few people asked about, that just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 (Sources say no hockey was played by that date in 2012-13).

With our division, it's going to be tough. Looks like we'll need 100pts just for a wild card spot.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
With our division, it's going to be tough. Looks like we'll need 100pts just for a wild card spot.

It's not gonna happen. People said exactly the same thing last year The central will start playing each other soon. Laat night was the Hawks first division game of the year.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Love Hutch. Did not understand the hate or excessive criticism of him around here in the offseason. Glad he's performing well :)
http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474636&season=20142015&view=gamelog

• Jan 29 .871 Loss
  • Jan 31 .844 Loss
  • Feb 2 .826 Loss
  • Feb 6 .909 Overtime Loss
  • Feb 10 .967 Win
  • Feb 14 .862 Win :amazed:
  • Feb 16 .818 Win :amazed:
  • Feb 21 .879 Overtime Loss
  • Feb 24 .929 Win
  • Feb 26 .966 Overtime Loss
  • Mar 1 .900 Win :amazed:
  • Mar 4 .824 Loss

Hopefully both Pavelec and Hutchinson have had their flaws fixed by the coaching staff.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Will we be in a playoff spot Nov 1? We should be within 4 points though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

In last week's 30 Thoughts, there was one statistic a few people asked about, that just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 (Sources say no hockey was played by that date in 2012-13).

The only way for us to not be in a playoff spot Nov 1:
- CHI beats MIN
- b2b losses vs CBJ and MTL
In that case, we'd be out by 1 point.

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
Really enjoyable game. Hutch was fantastic, and I thought the whole team played well overall. It's quite nice to see both goalies off to a good start this season.

LowEnd88

Feb 10, 2012
Winnipeg
I don't know about that, but I think Petan could get more than zero goals (not counting empty netters). I think I saw a butterfly land on one of the wrist shots that Burmi took yesterday.

Do you not think Burmi looked great yesterday? Was given tough matchups, and had some quality scoring chances i thought... What were you hoping to see from him?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Do you not think Burmi looked great yesterday? Was given tough matchups, and had some quality scoring chances i thought... What were you hoping to see from him?

Burmie has been fine. Unfortunately he doesn't posses a terrific shot so he's not going to score much from distance which is where the bulk of his chances were from.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
I don't know about that, but I think Petan could get more than zero goals (not counting empty netters). I think I saw a butterfly land on one of the wrist shots that Burmi took yesterday.

possibly, but I can't imagine it wouldn't even out with as many against. Granted I haven't seen enough from Petan, but I can't imagine he'll be as defensively responsible. And I don't see Maurice making that tradeoff.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Sorry Mort, not directed directly at you, just a jumping board for a mini rant...

Almost 2 pages of goalie talk, which would be great if it was an actual analysis of the game they just played, but instead we just dredge up the past or proclaim what should happen in the future. Which is great for those who love the endless debate. Our goalies are either world beaters or sieves in the never ending debate. When in fact all goalies will have games where they look brilliant and games where they struggle. I've learned my lesson to just say only if a goalie played well or not for that particular game. IMO any pronouncements on the future or what the rotation should by past next game is fraught with biases of how your favorite should be used.

I've made a promise to myself until we have a goalie that has proven himself over several years and has become a true #1, I will do my best to like them equally. I will be happy with whichever goalie plays well and trust Maurice to play them as he sees fit. And I won't have a favorite or a whipping boy.

Not a bad way to go .... to a point. If either goalie goes into a protracted nose dive that will change but right now both are playing well. Included in playing well will be some bad games, even stretches of several bad games.

Last year should have been instructive. Both started well, faded badly, then rebounded. There is no easy way to know which one to play next. Streaks start and end unpredictably, both hot and cold. Lets hope that Maurice can do it intuitively. It is like trying to get rich predicting the stock market swings.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Even playing well last year over his last 12 games when he was a .949 or whatever, Pavs let in 3 goals to lose or tie games with < 5 minutes to go (2 if you don't count that St. Louis game where he stood on his head in relief of Hutch until the last 90 seconds). The guy is a choker.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Seems to me a goalie with 50 wins is a better goalie than one with 25 or whatever it was.....maybe the one with the better % has a team that lets in more but less quality shots.

Bad goalies get wins and good goalies get loses depending on the team in front of them. Helle is 1 - 5 or something similar with a high SV%. He is not a bad AHL goalie but he is playing behind a very weak team, so far at least.

W/L and GAA are team stats pure and simple. The goalie is 1/6th of that team at any given time so has a part in those stats but only 1 part.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
Seems to me a goalie with 50 wins is a better goalie than one with 25 or whatever it was.....maybe the one with the better % has a team that lets in more but less quality shots.

there are quite a few issues with this statement, but the most obvious one is, what if goalie with 50 wins has an offense that scores 5+ goals a game, and goalie with 25 wins has one that scores 1 per game?

There is no conceivable scenario, realistically, in my mind, that over the course of a year that wins would be a better determination of goalie quality than save %.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

We got 2nd wild card with 99 last year. Somebody could miss with 100 this year. Not likely but I think it is possible.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad