Post-Game Talk: #Hutchisclutch! Jets win 3-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Hutch proved it last year after the ASB. He'll never be more than an average backup. He can't be a starter. He can't play against the top competition. Oh, just in case ... :sarcasm:

Sorry Mort, not directed directly at you, just a jumping board for a mini rant...

Almost 2 pages of goalie talk, which would be great if it was an actual analysis of the game they just played, but instead we just dredge up the past or proclaim what should happen in the future. Which is great for those who love the endless debate. Our goalies are either world beaters or sieves in the never ending debate. When in fact all goalies will have games where they look brilliant and games where they struggle. I've learned my lesson to just say only if a goalie played well or not for that particular game. IMO any pronouncements on the future or what the rotation should by past next game is fraught with biases of how your favorite should be used.

I've made a promise to myself until we have a goalie that has proven himself over several years and has become a true #1, I will do my best to like them equally. I will be happy with whichever goalie plays well and trust Maurice to play them as he sees fit. And I won't have a favorite or a whipping boy.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
That's fine, but once you have a good sample size you generally know what you've got in a goalie. We'll see if Pav continues to surprise but chances are he won't. A goalie with a .920 sv % but a 25-50-7 record is probably playing behind a terrible team. The question that needs to be asked is "given a good team and a good sample size, would you rather have a goalie with a career .920 sv % or a career .915?" The answer should really be obvious...

I felt like several others in this thread - didn't feel like the Jets were dominated last night at all. The last few minutes were a mess and the first 7 or 8 were iffy but ftmp I thought we were pretty composed under pressure and did some good work in the O zone much of the game. The guy on the 1290 pg show with Ralphie basically felt the Jets were bad but saved by Hutch. I didn't really feel that way - although Hutch definitely had a big part in the win. Crawford has had an even bigger part in the Hawks recent wins I'd say... :D

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I only saw the third, and it wasn't great. I wouldn't really say Hutch stole the game, since we found the back of the net 3 times. But usually if you get 46 shots on goal, you are going to get 3 or 4 goals, so Hutch certainly deserves a lot of credit for the win. But even in the third, the Jets had chances to get one or two more.

A 3 - 2 - 1 homestand is not as good as you would want. But considering that we beat the Wild and the Black Hawks, it has to be considered a success.

The next 8 games are going to be interesting. There is a stretch where we play four road games in a row against Minne, Dallas, Nashville, St Louis. Ouch! I think by US thanksgiving we will know if we are a playoff contender or pretender. The way we have been playing so far, we look like contenders.

Last edited:

DarthMonty

F*** CANCER
Aug 21, 2011
Optimismville
Sorry Mort, not directed directly at you, just a jumping board for a mini rant...

Almost 2 pages of goalie talk, which would be great if it was an actual analysis of the game they just played, but instead we just dredge up the past or proclaim what should happen in the future. Which is great for those who love the endless debate. Our goalies are either world beaters or sieves in the never ending debate. When in fact all goalies will have games where they look brilliant and games where they struggle. I've learned my lesson to just say only if a goalie played well or not for that particular game. IMO any pronouncements on the future or what the rotation should by past next game is fraught with biases of how your favorite should be used.

I've made a promise to myself until we have a goalie that has proven himself over several years and has become a true #1, I will do my best to like them equally. I will be happy with whichever goalie plays well and trust Maurice to play them as he sees fit. And I won't have a favorite or a whipping boy.

A wise sentiment that keeps you sane and even-keeled after a huge win or a brutal loss. I thought both 'tenders played well in their most recent starts, and I think that Maurice should continue with the 55/45 split.

I would call last night's game Thorburn's best since the team relocated, and Stuart, Lowry, Copp, Petan, Burmi and Staff all had really solid effective games. Having a 4th line that can contain the play to the N-zone and O-zone and a third line that can shut-down the other team's scoring line is a huge step forward from where the Jets have been for the previous 4 seasons.

That was enjoyable to watch, and it was a well deserved win. Chicago may be good, as is the rest of the Central, but the Jets have certainly earned a part in the playoff discussion. That was the type of game good teams manage to win, and a game the Jets wouldn't have had a chance in through their first 3 seasons.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I only saw the third, and it wasn't great. I wouldn't really say Hutch stole the game, since we found the back of the net 3 times. But usually if you get 46 shots on goal, you are going to get 3 or 4 goals, so Hutch certainly deserves a lot of credit for the win. But even in the third, the Jets had chances to get one or two more.

A 3 - 2 - 1 homestand is not as good as you would want. But considering that we beat the Wild and the Black Hawks, it has to be considered a success.

The next 8 games are going to be interesting. There is a stretch where we play four road games in a row against Minne, Dallas, Nashville, St Louis. Ouch! I think by US thanksgiving we will know if we are a playoff contender or pretender. The way we have been playing so far, we look like contenders.

Somebody crank out the stat involving U.S. Thanksgiving for this fine individual. What is it? Something like 90% of the teams in playoff position by that date make the second season?

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I just realized what the main difference is between Hutch and Pavs. Both seem to play really steady so far this season, but in the last 5 minutes I'm now convinced Hutch gets better and Pavs gets worse.

Saw a stat yesterday that Pavs has allowed a gwg/gtg with < 5 minutes to go in 3rd in 20% of his starts! Thats why Hutch's record is 27-11-5, he elevates his game late in the 3rd.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
I just realized what the main difference is between Hutch and Pavs. Both seem to play really steady so far this season, but in the last 5 minutes I'm now convinced Hutch gets better and Pavs gets worse.

Saw a stat yesterday that Pavs has allowed a gwg/gtg with < 5 minutes to go in 3rd in 20% of his starts! Thats why Hutch's record is 27-11-5, he elevates his game late in the 3rd.

Also, has anyone else noticed how annoying all these HF ads are on mobile?

I think thats quite a good point you're making there. This could easily be the reason why Hutch seems to get us more wins but not necesserily better goaltending overall compared to Pavs. His goaltending seems to fit better to our team because he swallows up attacks more efficiently than Pavelec. He calms people down and with his minimal body language, he may won't be able to do that highlight reel save when things get chaotic but does a great job not letting that even happen. Especially during those sometimes crazy 5-6 last minutes in the 3rd.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Current combined record of the Jets opponents so far: 53-33-11 (0.603)

Here's another way to look at our first 10 games. SAC% (Jets are 13th 50.1%)

LA 1st 57.4
STL 2nd 54.9
CHI 8th 51.8
TB 11th 50.8
BOS 14th 50.0
NYR 15th 50.0
MIN 16th 50.0
NJ 20th 48.8
NYI 24th 47.8
CGY 28th 46.2

7 of our 10 games have been against teams 50% or better in SAC% but our worst game was probably the one against the Islanders who dominated us possession wise.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Curious distribution of time for the forward lines:
LLW - 19-20 mins
PSE - 12-13
BLS - 18-19
PCT - 7-8

Since there was few penalties to screw around with times, but ahead in a close game so basically playing a bit more defensively than usual.

Still would have expected those times to be a lot closer to even (18-20 mins for lines 1 & 3 seem a bit much)

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Good game by the Jets and great game by Hutch. I still want to see the 4th line out there more. They deserve more time.

I just looked at the Hawks board and, man, it's crazy how down on their team they all are. They're the ****ing Blackhawks!

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Good point by Westwood this morning on the BS - it sure is nice to have had stable lines for 10 games straight for once. I mean other than peluso for a couple games the lines have stayed basically the same and they are working pretty well.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
LLW - 19-20 mins
PSE - 12-13
BLS - 18-19
PCT - 7-8

Since there was few penalties to screw around with times, but ahead in a close game so basically playing a bit more defensively than usual.

Still would have expected those times to be a lot closer to even (18-20 mins for lines 1 & 3 seem a bit much)

I would love to see Petan get Burmi's ice time. Move Burmi down to the fourth line and Petan up to the third.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
You would rather have a goalie with a higher sv% than wins?

Have you followed the discussion around Zach ('just wins") Fucale. Not a great goalie but has played for so many great teams that his win-loss record is highly suspect.

Give me a goalie like Helle (great save %; poor win-loss because he's playing for a crappy team) over Fucale any day -- or for that matter Comrie who is also much better than Fucale

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Current combined record of the Jets opponents so far: 53-33-11 (0.603)

They were mentioning on the Big show today that 7 of our first 10 opponents are currently playoff teams and that doesn't include Chicago so yea we have had a pretty tough schedule.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
LLW - 19-20 mins
PSE - 12-13
BLS - 18-19
PCT - 7-8

PSE didn't see the ice with the goalie pulled (last 3 min) that probably took 1-1.5 min TOI away from them. Also Chicago started limiting the Kero line ice time which is who PSE were matching with.

Typical game would see them around 15 min TOI so far this year.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
Hat tip to the Jets.. Big and skilled with a controlled edge. Your kids Ehlers, Trouba, Scheifele, Burmeistrov, Myers, & Hutchinson...are starting to blossom. I think a lot was learned in losing in the 1st round last spring. Whoever gets you guys (without major injury issues) in round 1 is in for an extremely difficult and punishing time.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Will we be in a playoff spot Nov 1? We should be within 4 points though

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/ho...oughts-playoff-chase-begins-early-in-nhl.html

In last week's 30 Thoughts, there was one statistic a few people asked about, that just three of 32 NHL teams at least four points out of a playoff spot on Nov. 1 recovered to make the playoffs from 2005-06 to 2011-12 (Sources say no hockey was played by that date in 2012-13).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad