Confirmed with Link: Husso to DET for a 2022 3rd (Signed 3x $4.75m)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Toews isn’t going to stick around for the rebuild. If he’s not traded, he’ll either retire or move on before he re-signs with Chicago. He and Kane won’t come out and say it, but they’re done with the Hawks.
Retire maybe, but I don't see any team taking the risk with his health issues and underperformance last season. Unless he has a huge comeback, it makes more sense for him to sign a series of one year deals with the Hawks. You know, the usual "veteran presence" during a rebuild, it should be teh captain if anyone.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Didn't want Georgiev at all but kind of disappointed to see his deal with more experience versus Ville who has a 1/3 of the games played. Largely similar stats. Husso had more interest maybe but they have performed about the same over their brief careers. I know we don't need the cap space, but I just like to see similar money for similar players.

Wouldn't make any sense for Buffalo. Kane will get traded at the deadline, and the Wings could wind up being the middleman that retains salary.

If they sell both Kane and Toews at the deadline then they'll lose every game. I think they sell Kane but ask Towes to stick around through the rebuild.

Yeah, they will need the floor afterall and he is a good chunk by himself, plus no one will want him with his current level and money.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Those guys have full NMC's and have stated multiple times they're not interested in playing somewhere else. Maybe the recent firesale does get them to change their minds but it remains to be seen.

One of the rumours out there is they moved Debrincat who Kane is said to love playing with, in hopes that Kane will want to go elsewhere.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I was already happy with this signing, but seeing what Georgiev got the same term for just over $1M less despite being a much worse goalie makes this even better.

Is he much worse? Their career stats aren't that far apart and Husso has played a lot less games. Husso has a .912 in 57 GP and Geo has a .908 through 129 GP. Husso could easily drop into .908 area with more games. I hope Husso is awesome for us, but to me they are about the same, as Geo also had a good start to his career. If Geo had maintained his play he would have required more via trade to get, and Husso needs to prove he is this years level goalie first. Reason I didn't want Geo is he is said to be a bad teammate, and not just because of the fight, but just in general Rangers players were said to not like his body language as teammate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is he much worse? Their career stats aren't that far apart and Husso has played a lot less games. Husso has a .912 in 57 GP and Geo has a .908 through 129 GP. Husso could easily drop into .908 area with more games. I hope Husso is awesome for us, but to me they are about the same, as Geo also had a good start to his career. If Geo had maintained his play he would have required more via trade to get, and Husso needs to prove he is this years level goalie first. Reason I didn't want Geo is he is said to be a bad teammate, and not just because of the fight, but just in general Rangers players were said to not like his body language as teammate.
Georgiev was RFA, Husso UFA. That explains the $1M difference.

It's always hard to judge backups with limited playing time. They could wind up getting better or just blow up, lol. Look at Driedger for example, the crappy Kraken D really exposed him.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Georgiev was RFA, Husso UFA. That explains the $1M difference.

It's always hard to judge backups with limited playing time. They could wind up getting better or just blow up, lol. Look at Driedger for example, the crappy Kraken D really exposed him.

Yeah, I get the RFA thing, just a little annoying to me when they are basically the same goalie right now. Husso had the much better season, but Geo started good too.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, I get the RFA thing, just a little annoying to me when they are basically the same goalie right now. Husso had the much better season, but Geo started good too.
We should be more concerned about picking up UFA LHD than whatever Geo is doing.

Stevie needs to pick up one good LHD and one decent (NHL level unlike Oesterle) LHD in free agency, otherwise the whole goalie conversation is moot. Staal has been a trooper, but I'd like to see an upgrade.

Reactions: NickH8

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
We should be more concerned about picking up UFA LHD than whatever Geo is doing.

Stevie needs to pick up one good LHD and one decent (NHL level unlike Oesterle) LHD in free agency, otherwise the whole goalie conversation is moot. Staal has been a trooper, but I'd like to see an upgrade.
Yzerman signed 3.

This move shows Yzerman does not think highly of Nedeljkovic

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Yzerman signed 3.

No clue how you put this on ned, regardless of how yzerman may or may not feel about ned he clearly signed LD because we were giving up 11 goals last season by playing dekeyser, leddy, oesterle, etc. That’s just not an NHL caliber left side. Now it is.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Wouldn't make any sense for Buffalo.

I think it makes a hell of a lot of sense for Buffalo to sign him as a UFA after this season. Let someone else bleed their prospect pool dry to bring Kane in for a playoff run, but absolutely bring him in next year. Buffalo is approaching that tipping point where they need to step heavy on the gas while they can.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think it makes a hell of a lot of sense for Buffalo to sign him as a UFA after this season. Let someone else bleed their prospect pool dry to bring Kane in for a playoff run, but absolutely bring him in next year. Buffalo is approaching that tipping point where they need to step heavy on the gas while they can.
someone mentioned us being the 3rd team to absorb cap for Kane to team X. I don't wanna help CHI tank for Bedard/Michkov for some paltry 2nd+b-level bs prospect.
A '23 1st for $5m/AAV/salary, ok, but I'd be nervous CHI gets the prize.

Mixed feelings on Kane as UFA, 34yo in Nov. Talent is undeniable, vet/Cup experience, sure. Bidding war, most def. = no thanks. Plus he's always struck me as kind of an arse. See Franzen/Kane clip behind net. Kane mouths off to Johan, who skates upto him, Kane skates backwards, Franzen grabs Kane's mouthpiece out & chucks it on ice. :laugh:

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What is the honest thoughts here on how Lalonde is going to use Husso and Ned? I feel like Ned still deserves the chance to be the initial starter, as other than that dreadful February/March run, he was pretty solid for his first run as starter. As a team we were also dreadful in front of him during that terrible stretch.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
What is the honest thoughts here on how Lalonde is going to use Husso and Ned? I feel like Ned still deserves the chance to be the initial starter, as other than that dreadful February/March run, he was pretty solid for his first run as starter. As a team we were also dreadful in front of him during that terrible stretch.
go with the hot hand. no "set in concrete plan", that's how you mess things up.

~50/50% split, til 1 clearly outshines the other,then closer to 60/40%. I could see 45-37, keeping both rested, yet hungry, not complacent. Competition.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
go with the hot hand. no "set in concrete plan", that's how you mess things up.

~50/50% split, til 1 clearly outshines the other,then closer to 60/40%. I could see 45-37, keeping both rested, yet hungry, not complacent. Competition.

I agree with the hot hand thing, I was more talking at the start, as their won't be a hot hand so to speak. I hope Ned gets the nod at the start personally.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I’ve heard that Blackhawks management has given Kane and Toews the choice to stick around or be traded. If they decide they want out, they’ll be traded.

Think they pretty much want to see the next season, which teams are clear contenders. Don't have to decide that at summer.

During the season you know, which teams are strong and have enough cap.

Last edited:

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Think they pretty much want to see the next season, which teams are clear contenders. Don't have to decide that at summer.

During the season you know, which teams are strong and have enough gap.
Toews only gets moved if CHI retains 50%. $5.25m is ~ what he's worth, if that, imo. They may not even find a taker . Kane would be smart to ask for a trade prior to/shortly after the season begins, as it could take a while to swing a deal. Agree that decision by player doesn't need to be made asap though. Let UFA/preseason help dictate.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
We were talking about a trade. As a UFA? Maybe.

But then again it's Buffalo, so they're always gonna be a shit show. I heard the city itself isn't very pleasant from a couple that grew up there and relocated to Washington state.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yzerman signed 3.

Nah. He had the chance to lock up a Vezina contender from this past season for a cheap price and all it does is create competition for Ned. I think Yzerman is hoping the competition pushes both guys (who, at 26 and 27, are in the prime age range for goaltenders to break out) so that he ends up with 2 starters and 1 fat trade chip by the time Cossa is ready.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad