Confirmed with Link: Husso to DET for a 2022 3rd (Signed 3x $4.75m)

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Blues fan just swinging by to say that I was a big fan of Husso and hope he plays well for the Red Wings. His rookie season was a little rocky but he was decent and then this year, it was a night and day difference from his 1st season, as he carried the Blues for a several months as our #1 goalie while Binnington struggled and put up some really good stats during that time. He's really agile for a goalie his size, not the best puck handler but he's adequate. Was hoping we could re-sign him.

He's only been in the nhl for two season's and absolutely has the potential to be one of the better goalies in the league. Great job by Stevie Y to snag him, rooting for you guys this coming season.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I would've loved to see Olkinuora getting some NHL games and I thought that Detroit would give him that chance. Is it possible that Yzerman could be thinking about trading Nedeljkovic away when the free agent frenzy starts? Husso as a starter and Olkinuora as his back up would be a strong duo already.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would've loved to see Olkinuora getting some NHL games and I thought that Detroit would give him that chance. Is it possible that Yzerman could be thinking about trading Nedeljkovic away when the free agent frenzy starts? Husso as a starter and Olkinuora as his back up would be a strong duo already.

No it wouldn't. Olkinuora has no NHL experience and the last thing Husso or Ned who are unproven in the NHL needs is an inexperienced backup forcing them to play more than they should. Ned and Ville will be the duo, as that makes the most sense.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

He might get a cup of coffee if one of those guys is hurt but I don't see him playing more than 10 games.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
No it wouldn't. Olkinuora has no NHL experience and the last thing Husso or Ned who are unproven in the NHL needs is an inexperienced backup forcing them to play more than they should. Ned and Ville will be the duo, as that makes the most sense.

Olkinuora has been a star goalie in KHL and for Finland in international matches. I don't think that those accomplishments mean nothing. Or well they might mean nothing in the NHL, but in my opinion they shouldn't mean nothing. Let's put it that way :).

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Olkinuora has been a star goalie in KHL and for Finland in international matches. I don't think that those accomplishments mean nothing. Or well they might mean nothing in the NHL, but in my opinion they shouldn't mean nothing. Let's put it that way :).

To me, anything outside the NHL means little as most times it doesn't translate. Tournaments in particular are short term things where most teams don't have full chemistry from lack of time to gel. Doesn't mean he can't be good, but planning him as the backup is a bad idea in my opinion.

We saw this year what an unreliable backup can do to a team as Greiss was awful and that forced Ned to play a lot more than he was ready for.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
The Finnish Walls. The Wall is Finnished.

Reactions: Mestaruus

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Yzerman has a habit of getting goalies with no track record.
Paying $4.75M for Husso is riskier than what we saw with Ned.
I like that he's 6'3, vs the 6.0 Nedeljkovic.

I think Ned's days are numbered in the D.
That's almost the case, but this Husso might easily falter and Nedeljkovic might grab the chance. I don't see either of them as a good one.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Never really been huge fan of Husso when he was junior. Never sold on his overall game. Slightly bad work ethic was the insight I was getting when he was in Finland. If this continued even to AHL it can be problematic. He would have over half a dozen of adult years been goalie with bad work ethic. Blues was really patient with him giving him chances and contracts. And for half a season he did well. And now they let him go. Considering all this seems iffy deal. But I´m always ready to be proven rong. And its only for three years.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
We are still there at 58M range, after doing some expected extensions like Zadina and filling the roster full 23-men.

3M short of the cap floor.
Is that including Fabbri starting on IR?

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Stevie may want to deal with Chicago as well sounds like a fire sale.

Chicago is putting it all out there to land Bedard. Rough couple years for that gongshow organization. Buffalo for sure has the assets to snag Kane if he wants to go home.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Chicago is putting it all out there to land Bedard. Rough couple years for that gongshow organization. Buffalo for sure has the assets to snag Kane if he wants to go home.
Wouldn't make any sense for Buffalo. Kane will get traded at the deadline, and the Wings could wind up being the middleman that retains salary.

If they sell both Kane and Toews at the deadline then they'll lose every game. I think they sell Kane but ask Towes to stick around through the rebuild.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I liked this move. Could've drafted a more unproven goalie in the third round, instead they spent a third rounder on a young established goalie ready for a bigger role. Now we have two goalies like that and all they gotta do is get them more support.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wouldn't make any sense for Buffalo. Kane will get traded at the deadline, and the Wings could wind up being the middleman that retains salary.

If they sell both Kane and Toews at the deadline then they'll lose every game. I think they sell Kane but ask Towes to stick around through the rebuild.

Those guys have full NMC's and have stated multiple times they're not interested in playing somewhere else. Maybe the recent firesale does get them to change their minds but it remains to be seen.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Those guys have full NMC's and have stated multiple times they're not interested in playing somewhere else. Maybe the recent firesale does get them to change their minds but it remains to be seen.

I don't think Toews is going anywhere, Kane might change his mind. Keep in mind they both have expiring contracts so they can always go back and sign with Chicago after the season.

All depends on if they want to play in the playoffs this season. Maybe it doesn't matter to them since they've already won, who knows...

but my point was Toews/Kane aren't going anywhere this offseason, so we agree on that.

Reactions: Hinterland

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Chicago caught lightning in a bottle to build their 3 time championship winner. That rebuild truly started by stealing Duncan Keith in what, the 2nd round? Even if Chicago gets Bedard, which I hope to whatever higher power there is they don't, I don't think that organization is smart enough to put together a true winner again.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Toews isn’t going to stick around for the rebuild. If he’s not traded, he’ll either retire or move on before he re-signs with Chicago. He and Kane won’t come out and say it, but they’re done with the Hawks.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I’ve heard that Blackhawks management has given Kane and Toews the choice to stick around or be traded. If they decide they want out, they’ll be traded.

Reactions: jaster

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad