GDT: Hurricanes vs Hawks 4/14/24 5pm Nbc sports Chicago (Final home game)

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Everytime people act like that, I think back to this poll.

Where adding up votes. 3/4ths of this boards voters wanted to miss the chance to get Bedard...

It's not that I want the team to be bad. It's about long term focus.

And by all signs, Davidson seems to still be following that 3-5 year rebuild plan and not doing some sudden shift in direction, some like you seem to want. I want the team to stick to building up slowly, the Avs, Tampa, or Hawks of old had that more slow build up. Some seem to want quick rushes to a point where you aren't adding enough potential elite talent. Like wanting to be like Toronto/Edmonton/Buffalo...(even Buffalo tried being good as soon as Eichel/Reinhart were there together. They add Kane,Oreilly,Okposo, etc.) If you say don't bring back these bad players.. just to bring back equivalent talent. Sure, so what? It just won't be GOOD players coming with any cap attached

To me, the way to rebuild is not want those bad rush jobs. You mention Celebrini, now that the Hawks are locked to 2nd last, it's better long term possibility to not get Celebrini. That means they can't win the lottery the next 3 years. Maybe they are 5th/6th worse and win it next year or after. Those are better future goals, but that part is unlikely with a what, 5% chance, not worth going on about.
Forgot that thread can’t believe a majority of this board would have preferred Slafkovsky over any of the top 3 in 2023 (people should have known we would be even worse the next year)

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Forgot that thread can’t believe a majority of this board would have preferred Slafkovsky over any of the top 3 in 2023 (people should have known we would be even worse the next year)
Nah this is all hindsight. At best, you have 25% chance to win the lottery. AT BEST. You take your lottery wins when you can get them, and hope that you pick the right guy.

It worked out in an enormously lucky fashion. Winning in 2022 was still the correct vote.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Nah this is all hindsight. At best, you have 25% chance to win the lottery. AT BEST. You take your lottery wins when you can get them, and hope that you pick the right guy.

It worked out in an enormously lucky fashion. Winning in 2022 was still the correct vote.
Not really especially with Bowman fired and KD already announcing he is going to rebuild. Odds were very likely we were going to finish bottom 3 the next season and sell a lot of talent which we very much did. The 2022 team was a MAF hot streak away from being bottom 3 in the league already and with a clear decline in net from Fleury to Mrazec, guys like Hagel being moved, this team was never going to better than the 2022 team.

Depends on how you view the prospects but the entire top 4 of 2023 was seen as better than the top of the 2022 draft especially with Shane Wright falling off a lot when he was seen as a MacKinnon caliber star going into his draft year. Bedard, Michkov, Fantilli, Carlson, would go #1 in 2022 without question.

It would be like hoping you win the 14 draft to get Ekblad while trading away a incredibly high chance for McDavid/Eichel the following year
Edit: Auto correct didn’t like Fleury

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not really especially with Bowman fired and KD already announcing he is going to rebuild. Odds were very likely we were going to finish bottom 3 the next season which we very much did. The 2022 team was a forty hot streak away from being bottom 3 in the league already and with no goalie, incompetent coaching this team was never going to better than the 2022 team.

Depends on how you view the prospects but the entire top 4 of 2023 was seen as better than the best of the 2022 draft especially with Shane Wright falling off a lot when he was seen as a MacKinnon caliber star going into his draft year

It would be like hoping you win the 14 draft to get Ekblad while trading away a incredibly high chance for McDavid/Eichel the following year
You could finish dead last two years in a row two separate lotteries, you would have a 37.5% chance to win one. So you definitely take your win in 2022 and then hope you are better in 2023 and give away a lesser pick. Look at Detroit for example, they never won a lottery and they sucked for years.

I just think there is too much hindsight going on here.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
About the extent of the logic here.

IMG_0067.jpeg

Last edited:

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
You could finish dead last two years in a row two separate lotteries, you would have a 37.5% chance to win one. So you definitely take your win in 2022 and then hope you are better in 2023 and give away a lesser pick. Look at Detroit for example, they never won a lottery and they sucked for years.

This still misses the long term picture and roster construction. It also, was never about lottery odds. Michkov/Fantelli were known as legit high end talents worthy even if you miss out on Bedard. (Before Leo Carlsson was in that convo)

It's not hindsight when there's people saying do this at the time. When people were voting no, I voted no, and then some people were happy with Davidson trading Hagel and the moves leading to this push to rebuild hard. There's some not happy, I get that. But it's not hindsight when people actively hoped for the GM to do things they have done.

The 2022-23 season would of been rutterless, another want to be good because they have no 1st rounder, but probably are bottom 10 again. The complaints of this team seem to me would be way worse than this season.

I don't get defending that position still. If we had Michkov or Fantelli instead of Bedard right now, we would still be in a better future spot.

If you had Wright, Slavosvky, or Cooley, kept Dach/Cat. They'd be a better team but I'd feel dim about their actual potential future. That's headed for a Wild territory in my view. I totally choose the other options.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County

And I would still take Fantilli/Carlson or Michkov over Slafkovsky any day of the week. The entire top 4 of the 23 class was viewed as being better than all of 2022 for a reason with Bedard and Michkov being tabbed as generational by many. While Fantilli was seen as a #1 in 2022 as well. It never made sense to hope we win in 2022 especially when it was clear as day we would be bad and likely picking even with no lottery within the top 3

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its really easy to say in 2024, what you would want to happen in 2022. I obviously wouldn't change a thing on how it played out. No one would. Nothing was guaranteed in 2023. Thats the entire point of me calling it hindsight.
I think 2nd overall this year is probably worth about 6-7th overall next year in terms of prospect value, but with how lucky hockey can be you always take the now and then see what happens next year.
I literally said this in the poll, on the first page. So I was obviously aware of the prospect difference, in 2022 vs 2023.
No chance will the 7th overall pick in 2023 be as good as Slafkovsky or Jiricek
I did like this one lol.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
The biggest WTF moment was Bowman being allowed to trade for Seth Jones when he was already a dead man walking.

How ownership allowed him to make any major trades is beyond me. Hell, they could have fired him for hockey reasons at the conclusion of the 2020-21 season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Its really easy to say in 2024, what you would want to happen in 2022. I obviously wouldn't change a thing on how it played out. No one would. Nothing was guaranteed in 2023. Thats the entire point of me calling it hindsight.

I literally said this in the poll, on the first page. So I was obviously aware of the prospect difference, in 2022 vs 2023.

I did like this one lol.
I still prefer the upside of Slaf and Jiricek to Michkov

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I still prefer the upside of Slaf and Jiricek to Michkov
I might even agree with you, but there was indeed a chance

The biggest WTF moment was Bowman being allowed to trade for Seth Jones when he was already a dead man walking.

How ownership allowed him to make any major trades is beyond me. Hell, they could have fired him for hockey reasons at the conclusion of the 2020-21 season.
Well honestly he wasn't even a dead man walking 'hockey wise' which is sort of insane. Post Nashville 4-0? Brother lost his marbles hockey wise. He only got fired because of the SA.

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Well honestly he wasn't even a dead man walking 'hockey wise' which is sort of insane. Post Nashville 4-0? Brother lost his marbles hockey wise. He only got fired because of the SA.

The SA was already known about and I guess the only reason why he was able to keep his job is that Rocky truly was kept in the dark on it and he didn't know exactly what went down until the report came out.

As soon as Beach filed suit in May 2021 Bowman was fired. It was just a matter of when.

Honestly they should have hired J&B immediately and they should have dealt with that before the start of the league new year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

For all we know, a dying man that signs the paychecks made a request to see one more competitive spurt before he kicked it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad