Prospect Info: Hurricanes select G Jacob Kucharski #197

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Watching a lot of USHL games, I can say he played for a truly dreadful team with Des Moines - he was getting shelled every game, so his stats aren't the whole story on him.

As stated he does have great size and you can see real athletic ability. Bad news is, he'll be back with same Des Moines program next year - good news is he'll be at a good college program in 2019 at Providence College. He should get a lot more help there.

Last edited:

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Hey, Hurricane fans. I'm Jacob's uncle. Just got back early this a.m. from an awesome weekend at the draft in Dallas. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending, along with Jacob and his parents (my sister and brother-in-law) and my other sister and one of her daughters. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Anyhow, I can tell you this about my nephew: he is very dedicated to his craft and is extremely competitive. He's constantly trying to improve his game. He's a very polite and personable kid. He's not a showboat, and he has always been well-liked by his teammates. He's also very bright and has always done well in school. He's been to countless goaltending clinics and has played against top competition. Being from Erie, Pennsylvania, he even practiced with the Erie Otters for a while at the ripe old age of 14 while Devin Williams was at camp with, I believe the Leafs; the same Erie Otters that had Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat, to name a few. He even led his high school team to the state championship as a freshman.

Okay, so he didn't have a super season in 2017-2018, but as someone mentioned above, his Des Moines team was pretty lousy. And while he IS returning to Des Moines next season, let me add that they will have a new coach and I believe a new GM also, so hopefully he will be surrounded by a better team.

He was rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick heading into the season, so I think you guys did pretty good to get him in the 7th round. We found out shortly after the draft that Vegas, who didn't have a 7th round pick, traded for Pittsburgh's pick at number 22 in the seventh round with the intention of drafting Jacob in that spot, but the 'Canes beat them to it. And don't forget that some of the other top-rated goalies were also drafted very late. You guys got yourselves a goalie to keep a close watch on.

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
Hey, Hurricane fans. I'm Jacob's uncle. Just got back early this a.m. from an awesome weekend at the draft in Dallas. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending, along with Jacob and his parents (my sister and brother-in-law) and my other sister and one of her daughters. It was the experience of a lifetime.

Anyhow, I can tell you this about my nephew: he is very dedicated to his craft and is extremely competitive. He's constantly trying to improve his game. He's a very polite and personable kid. He's not a showboat, and he has always been well-liked by his teammates. He's also very bright and has always done well in school. He's been to countless goaltending clinics and has played against top competition. Being from Erie, Pennsylvania, he even practiced with the Erie Otters for a while at the ripe old age of 14 while Devin Williams was at camp with, I believe the Leafs; the same Erie Otters that had Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome and Alex DeBrincat, to name a few. He even led his high school team to the state championship as a freshman.

Okay, so he didn't have a super season in 2017-2018, but as someone mentioned above, his Des Moines team was pretty lousy. And while he IS returning to Des Moines next season, let me add that they will have a new coach and I believe a new GM also, so hopefully he will be surrounded by a better team.

He was rated as a 2nd-3rd round pick heading into the season, so I think you guys did pretty good to get him in the 7th round. We found out shortly after the draft that Vegas, who didn't have a 7th round pick, traded for Pittsburgh's pick at number 22 in the seventh round with the intention of drafting Jacob in that spot, but the 'Canes beat them to it. And don't forget that some of the other top-rated goalies were also drafted very late. You guys got yourselves a goalie to keep a close watch on.
super cool. thanks for stopping by. congratulations to your nephew! welcome to the Canes family.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Mark Seidel likes the pick but I don’t understand it. Says he’s got great athletic ability. He’s huge, for sure. Stats are atrocious from the past two seasons split between the nahl and ushl. Heading to providence next year.

He's going back to Des Moines for one more season before going to Providence.

super cool. thanks for stopping by. congratulations to your nephew! welcome to the Canes family.

Thank you!!! I am looking forward to interacting with you guys while Jacob continues his career!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Most of our prospects’ family members don’t bother identifying themselves, they just homer all over them and get mad when we criticize - refreshing to see you do that!

Didn’t know he was previously rated as 2nd-3rd rounder. Sounds like his “bad” season did him in - if Des Moines was as bad as we say it may be a diamond in the rough.

The Canes pick a goalie late every year and are hoping one sticks. I’m a fan of that strategy, because it’s so tough to know what you’ve got in an 18-year-old at that position. Hopefully your nephew is able to rise to the top of our group of prospects.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
cool to get this kind of perspective, appreciate the posts

Thanks, glad you guys are so receptive!!!

Most of our prospects’ family members don’t bother identifying themselves, they just homer all over them and get mad when we criticize - refreshing to see you do that!

Didn’t know he was previously rated as 2nd-3rd rounder. Sounds like his “bad” season did him in - if Des Moines was as bad as we say it may be a diamond in the rough.

The Canes pick a goalie late every year and are hoping one sticks. I’m a fan of that strategy, because it’s so tough to know what you’ve got in an 18-year-old at that position. Hopefully your nephew is able to rise to the top of our group of prospects.

Thank you, I'll be keeping the board updated on Jake's progress as often as I can!!!

Thanks Mike!

Congrats to Jacob and here is to hoping he continues to develops and makes it to Raleigh.

Thank you!!! He'll actually be in Raliegh tomorrow for their developmental camp lol.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Hi Mike. I will say Jake couldn't have been selected by a team with more opportunity for a goalie than our motley crew. While we have several G prospects in the pipeline, none of them are regarded as can't miss. The path to the NHL is truly in his hands with the Canes as there really is no one here to block him as of now.
I wish Jake all the luck in the world.

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
Hi Mike. I will say Jake couldn't have been selected by a team with more opportunity for a goalie than our motley crew. While we have several G prospects in the pipeline, none of them are regarded as can't miss. The path to the NHL is truly in his hands with the Canes as there really is no one here to block him as of now.
I wish Jake all the luck in the world.

I don't know a whole lot about the Canes' goaltending prospects. Haven't really had a chance to look into them yet. Hopefully Jacob will rise to the top though.

I have a feeling that he'll have a really good season in 2018-2019, mainly because I think he'll be a little more relaxed having already been drafted. Plus, I have a good feeling about the managerial and coaching changes that have been made in Des Moines since the end of last season.

Thanks for the well-wishes!!!

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
I don't know a whole lot about the Canes' goaltending prospects. Haven't really had a chance to look into them yet. Hopefully Jacob will rise to the top though.

I have a feeling that he'll have a really good season in 2018-2019, mainly because I think he'll be a little more relaxed having already been drafted. Plus, I have a good feeling about the managerial and coaching changes that have been made in Des Moines since the end of last season.

NeedsASpellACheck is our top goalie prospect right now.

Booth is probably 2nd, then who knows after that.

I feel bad for him in training camp, Svechnikov is going to be hard to tend against. Lol.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

So, here's a bit of a rundown of our goalie prospects:
Alex Nedeljkovic (2014) - 22, 6'0/198. Plays a reflex-heavy hybrid style similar to Tim Thomas or Jaro Halak. Had an up and down junior career that saw him as OHL goalie of the year then regress a bit behind an increasingly bad Plymouth/Flynt team. Was traded to Niagara and did well enough there though not significant progression statistically. Had an outstanding WJC for the US in his final year of eligibility. Was thrown to the wolves in the AHL as a rookie and had a rough year in 16-17 but bounced back a good bit this past year, was vital in carrying the team to the AHL playoffs with his play the back half of last season and was excellent in Charlotte's run to the division finals in the AHL playoffs. Likely to start in the AHL this coming year though if Dundon and the rest of the Canes braintrust are serious then he'll have a good shot at taking Scott Darling's spot with the Canes in training camp.
Callum Booth (2015) - 21, 6'4/192, more of your standard positioning based butterfly goalie. Showed expected progression the 3 seasons since being drafted out of Quebec. Was traded in his overage year from Quebec to St John and was dominant for them in the playoffs. Platooned in Florida (ECHL) this past season and looked good in the process, got a few starts in Charlotte and continued to look good there. Expected to start the season splitting time in the AHL
Jeremy Helvig (2016) - 21, 6'4/193, plays more of a butterfly style then Ned but still is more reflex oriented stylistically then Booth. Played the past 3 seasons in the OHL, took over as Kingston's starter in 16-17 and had 2 really solid seasons in that role, taking a step forward this past season from the one before though Kingston fell short in the playoffs. Expected to start the season in the ECHL.
Jack LaFontaine (2016) - 20, 6'2/205, the read I got on him in prospects camp is that he's probably the most reliant of our guys on size and positioning to make the save. NCAA guy going back to the BCHL next season before going back to Michigan who he played for the past 2 years. Had a really rough season last year after a decent freshman season, he had been dominant in the NAHL before this so may just be a matter of getting back in a situation where he can get his game back.
Eetu Makiniemi (2017) - 19, 6'3/176, can't say I got the best read on his playing style last prospect camp. Playing for Jokerit's U-20s, had a solid season in the U-20 league last year though the question remains as to where he'll play next year and how he'll develop. Been hard to get reports on this guy since he's at the U-20 level in Finland.

Last edited:

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania

I feel bad for him in training camp, Svechnikov is going to be hard to tend against. Lol.

Like I said, he played against McDavid when he was 14, so I don't think he'll be intimidated by anyone.

So, here's a bit of a rundown of our goalie prospects:
Alex Nedeljkovic (2014) - 22, 6'0/198. Plays a reflex-heavy hybrid style similar to Tim Thomas or Jaro Halak. Had an up and down junior career that saw him as OHL goalie of the year then regress a bit behind an increasingly bad Plymouth/Flynt team. Was traded to Niagara and did well enough there though not significant progression statistically. Was thrown to the wolves in the AHL as a rookie and had a rough year in 16-17 but bounced back a good bit this past year, was vital in carrying the team to the AHL playoffs with his play the back half of last season and was excellent in Charlotte's run to the division finals in the AHL playoffs. Likely to start in the AHL this coming year though if Dundon and the rest of the Canes braintrust is serious then he'll have a good shot at taking Scott Darling's spot with the Canes in training camp.
Callum Booth (2015) - 21, 6'4/192, more of your standard positioning based butterfly goalie. Showed expected progression the 3 seasons since being drafted out of Quebec. Was traded in his overage year from Quebec to St John and was dominant for them in the playoffs. Platooned in Florida (ECHL) this past season and looked good in the process, got a few starts in Charlotte and continued to look good there. Expected to start the season splitting time in the AHL
Jeremy Helvig (2016) - 21, 6'4/193, plays more of a butterfly style then Ned but still is more reflex oriented stylistically then Booth. Played the past 3 seasons in the OHL, took over as Kingston's starter in 16-17 and had 2 really solid seasons in that role, taking a step forward this past season from the one before though Kingston fell short in the playoffs. Expected to start the season in the ECHL.
Jack LaFontaine (2016) - 20, 6'2/205, the read I got on him in prospects camp is that he's probably the most reliant of our guys on size and positioning to make the save. NCAA guy going back to the BCHL next season before going back to Michigan who he played for the past 2 years. Had a really rough season last year after a decent freshman season, he had been dominant in the NAHL before this so may just be a matter of getting back in a situation where he can get his game back.
Eetu Makiniemi (2017) - 19, 6'3/176, can't say I got the best read on his playing style last prospect camp. Playing for Jokerit's U-20s, had a solid season in the U-20 league last year though the question remains as to where he'll play next year and how he'll develop. Been hard to get reports on this guy since he's at the U-20 level in Finland.

Thanks. Nice report!!!

Svechnikov is an elite prospect, by the way. Didn't mean to seem arrogant about Jacob having already played against McDavid.

I'm sure that Jacob will have some good stories to tell about the goings on between the two of them during camp. He's looking forward to it.

Jacob asked me to look up who the Canes drafted last year (like he couldn't have done that himself, especially since he had his phone in his hand lol). He just wanted to know the names of the kids that he would be playing with, nothing more. I told him about Necas and Loustarinen. Knowing Jacob, he'll probably end up being best buds with those guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad