Prospect Info: Hurricanes select C Jack Drury #42 OA

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Any update on him? He seems to be struggling (stats-wise at least) since he got cut. Is it maybe bad luck or he's a bit disappointed he got sent down and it's wearing him down? Cause he usually put up points everywhere he go.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Any update on him? He seems to be struggling (stats-wise at least) since he got cut. Is it maybe bad luck or he's a bit disappointed he got sent down and it's wearing him down? Cause he usually put up points everywhere he go.
I don't have much insight as I haven't watched Chicago this year at all but from box score watching, etc. the Wolves seem like they have a ton of issues, and ones which are wearing off on some of the better players on the team. Again, I haven't watched so I don't really know, but I think some guys may be playing well but playing for a bad team can make their stats look much worse than they normally would be.

Reactions: De Montreal

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Unfortunately the Wolves as a whole are kind of not very good and we should feel not very good.

I think he'll get his call-up soon-ish. Maybe.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Bumping this one up for discussion. The wolves suck, but Drury hasn't looked great and he is what, 22 now? Is he ever going to amount to anything? Kind of sad that this kid can't bump Stastny, as bad as he is.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Bumping this one up for discussion. The wolves suck, but Drury hasn't looked great and he is what, 22 now? Is he ever going to amount to anything? Kind of sad that this kid can't bump Stastny, as bad as he is.
I think Drury could be better than Stastny now. Unfortunately for him, most GMs and coaches like to “reach for a veteran” to fill some of the bottom six and leadership roles in the room.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I think Drury could be better than Stastny now. Unfortunately for him, most GMs and coaches like to “reach for a veteran” to fill some of the bottom six and leadership roles in the room.
But at 22, is he ever going to amount to anything? Is it time to deal him since we already have an overpaid 3c?

Reactions: MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
But at 22, is he ever going to amount to anything? Is it time to deal him since we already have an overpaid 3c?
I’m inclined to agree with you here that we should move him while he still has value. Keeping KK and re-signing Jordo only leaves a 2C spot open for him, and he is no more ready for that role than KK. He should be moved in a deal for a 2C.

Drury and Flyer’s 2nd for Bennett would be great in my opinion.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
He had a pretty dominant season last year in the AHL. This year doesn't look as good and his stock is lower, but I don't think you can count him out. Unfortunately, with players like this, this year depreciates their league-wide value, so if we did want to trade him for a Timo Meier, his year isn't helping him, and he represents way more upside to us if he just stays in our system.

The good news is in his NHL callup, he didn't score much, but he looked quite capable defensively.

Reactions: DaveG

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I tend to think Drury is a full time Cane next year. I don’t think they trade him unless he’s part of a package for a better player with term.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
When he was drafted I figured he'd be a full-time NHL player by now.

What's his future here if he's not part of a TDL package? Does he make the roster full-time next year?

Reactions: Borsig

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I agree he’s full time player next year, but I thought that this year.
The Stastny signing and his lack of a standout camp pretty much doomed him this year. I think once they let Stastny walk, he’s the de facto 4th line C.

However, Rees or Ponomarev might have something to say about that. I don’t think they trade him, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he were traded. There’s only so many spots to go around next year and some he along with Rees, Ponomarev, maybe even Suzuki will be starting to get overripe next season I’d say.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
The Stastny signing and his lack of a standout camp pretty much doomed him this year. I think once they let Stastny walk, he’s the de facto 4th line C.

However, Rees or Ponomarev might have something to say about that. I don’t think they trade him, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he were traded. There’s only so many spots to go around next year and some he along with Rees, Ponomarev, maybe even Suzuki will be starting to get overripe next season I’d say.
Rees I think makes it as a pesky forechecking winger. Pono could be more of a center.

We have to use some of these chips. Drury is a good one to give if it’s a player with term. If he’s used as a rental it’s a waste imo.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
In addition to the other reasons, Drury can play in Chicago, Stastny would be exposed to waivers (or sit in the press box). Might need him for depth considering potential injuries.

Reactions: Tryamw

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Drury showed little enough in his games this year that I have no issues including him in a deadline deal. Also fine holding onto him and seeing what he can do next year but as others have said, there isn’t really an ideal spot for him on this roster. JK and Staal are both ideally 3Cs (1 can be an elite 4C when we re-sign Staal) but Drury ain’t the answer at 2C…

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad