News Article: Hurricanes regretting the Aho signing now?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He was an excellent RFA target , there's no question there in my book. If you're going to take a risk you do it for a young player with his type of game breaking abilities.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What is this thread -- an invitation for Canes fans to tell us what we already know? Maybe there is way to transfer this thread to their forum.

Good for Aho, good for them.

Time to move on.

Or to keep discussing it in the Out of Town thread. Has no relevance from a Habs stand point.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Koivu11

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Unless you were strongly advocating for Aho at the time of the draft, I don't see the value in that type of argument. It’s an incredibly easy thing to do to judge these things in hindsight.
Was he not the best centre available at our pick during a time when we desperately needed help at centre?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
What is Sara Civ's opinion on this subject?

Up to this date, she’s still the only person I ever blocked on Twitter. She just got that attention seeker vibe and I don’t know, her whole personality looks like a big pile of shit

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
to each his own, but i feel like your post will age realy bad, Lafreniere is an elite skilled foward who plays like a power foward.
Per Darren Dreger on TSN690 yesterday scouting community ranks Lafreniere as not being generational or a franchise W

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Was thinking about this since the Pandemic started and now this article came out.

Montreal Canadiens: Do The Carolina Hurricanes Regret Matching Sebastian Aho Offer Sheet?

I'm pretty sure Dundon wasn't very enthused about having to shell out close to 10 million to Aho.

What I didn't know however was that Dudley wasn't resigned and their play by play guy due to money issues.

Carolina being bottom 5 in attendance every season doesn't help either.

Bergevin did the offer sheet that way with the high signing bonuses as a calculated gamble.

What do you guys think?
Who's laughing now? Or whatever?
Their owner is apparently rich but very cheap.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Per Darren Dreger on TSN690 yesterday scouting community ranks Lafreniere as not being generational or a franchise W

he's definitely not a generational talent, i said elite skilled foward who play with grit, these are HELLA effective. You have to be crazy to think he doesn't have franchise potential... not a sure thing but pretty high odds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Their owner is apparently rich but very cheap.

So he's annoyed with the Habs and Aho for signing it. He had no choice but to match that contact. Imagine if he didn't and it was because of money and not hockey decisions? Fans would be pretty pissed off with their new owner and might not go to the games. That would be a disaster for his investment on buying the Canes.

Nice try by Molson and Bergevin but I'm sure even they knew it had a small chance.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Unless you were strongly advocating for Aho at the time of the draft, I don't see the value in that type of argument. It’s an incredibly easy thing to do to judge these things in hindsight.

That's what Timmins is paid for.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So he's annoyed with the Habs and Aho for signing it. He had no choice but to match that contact. Imagine if he didn't and it was because of money and not hockey decisions? Fans would be pretty pissed off with their new owner and might not go to the games. That would be a disaster for his investment on buying the Canes.

Nice try by Molson and Bergevin but I'm sure even they knew it had a small chance.
It was a stupid pointless try, not a nice one.

Reactions: LaP

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Still don't think they regret it at all. Some guys really drink the pro-management media kool-aid on this. It really was not a bad deal MB offered. Not team friendly but for a OS it was extremely weak and easily matchable without any remorse.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
he's definitely not a generational talent, i said elite skilled foward who play with grit, these are HELLA effective. You have to be crazy to think he doesn't have franchise potential... not a sure thing but pretty high odds.

He's not paid like a generational talent either. A generational center in 2020 is easily 10+ millions. Yes you have guys for under that but they were signed couple of years ago. Crosby was signed 7 years ago on a 12 years contract. Today he would be minimum 12 millions and that would be team friendly. 8.4 millions for a guy like Aho who delivers in playoffs since the beginning of his career is a very fair contract.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

If not then what about Caufield and the other u20 kids? Cause AL was a head above anyone at the u20 this year. He stood out. I don't think he is generational but not franchise you are stretching it a lot here. The guy is not drafted yet and he already stand out among u20 kids. BTW can we get a link with real scouts saying it.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It was a stupid pointless try, not a nice one.

Didn't hurt us so not pointless. Just a a very low probability. Maybe it opens up others to try it too this off season cause we have not seen offer sheets signed in years. You just don't like Bergevin so that's why you think it was stupid.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
AL is franchise.

Imagine Lafrenière-Zibanejad-Kakko/Panarin.

f*** the Rangers and f*** that bush league.

Rangers got no D. They will be fun to watch though. Similar position to the Leafs but not in cap hell like them. I'll be annoyed if the Rangers can fix their D through UFA. Not sure why NYC is an attractive place... I'd hate to live there to be honest... even if it's part time during a season.

Maybe it's because their fans don't attack the players like we do when they are down? :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad