News Article: Hurricanes regretting the Aho signing now?

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Was thinking about this since the Pandemic started and now this article came out.

Montreal Canadiens: Do The Carolina Hurricanes Regret Matching Sebastian Aho Offer Sheet?

I'm pretty sure Dundon wasn't very enthused about having to shell out close to 10 million to Aho.

What I didn't know however was that Dudley wasn't resigned and their play by play guy due to money issues.

Carolina being bottom 5 in attendance every season doesn't help either.

Bergevin did the offer sheet that way with the high signing bonuses as a calculated gamble.

What do you guys think?
Who's laughing now? Or whatever?

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-7-5_19-26-43.png

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I don’t think they regret it at all. He was having quite the season, 6th overall in goals, was going to top 40 and 20th overall in points.

Also from the article:

It took them six days to actually match the offer. If it was such an easy decision, why did it take six days to say, “yeah, we’ll match that” when it took the Canadiens minutes to draw up a long-term deal with some enormous perks?

The reason they took so long to match is they could. They had up to a week to match and could tie the Habs hands in waiting.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I wouldn't venture into any scenario that has to do with Dundon and his ability to find financing. Of course, it rocked his financial structure but he proved he could handle it.

As for regrets, I don't know -- it's such an odd time. Every NHL team is bleeding right now and it's still an attendance-driven league. And since there is no attendance to be had for quite some time, Carolina is actually on a level playing field now.

The only regret we should have is having a putz owner like Geoff who fashions himself as a hockey executive. Delusion 101.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Imagine if they didn't match, got our 1st round pick, and won Lafreniere with our pick...

Who knows how it would have played out if they didn’t match. The Habs would be a better team, maybe around 79 points instead of 71 and Carolina would have been worse. Montreal wouldn’t be playing Pittsburgh in the play in series and would have a much better match up. That 1st round pick could have been around #20.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not that I disagree, but if it were truly a low ball offer, why the hell did Aho sign?

Because it was vastly superior to any offer he was getting from Carolina?

Habs fans have been embarrassing themselves about the anniversary of the Aho sheet. Montreal needed to go up a tier of compensation and more money to make it even a valid attempt.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Tom Dundon is a joke and his act last summer was a complete front for the media. Bergevin (obviously) must have known more about Dundon’s finances than the average HF poster. I say it was worth a shot.

Dundon has a lot of money. The Canes don't really make money. He was banking on Dundon being cheap and he wasn't.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Unfortunately, whether Dundon regrets it or not, whether he's hurting financially or not, the OS wasn't good enough to force them to not match.

If it was a better offer sheet, even if they chose to match it and regret it today, it would have been worth it. Because Habs took a real shot at it.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Not that I disagree, but if it were truly a low ball offer, why the hell did Aho sign?
It wasn’t a low-ball offer in the context of Aho’s value, more so in the context of how much it would’ve taken for Carolina match. This factors in picks compensation and AAV.

However, as more time passes, it becomes abundantly clear that Bergevin knew something about Tom Dundon finances.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Unfortunately, whether Dundon regrets it or not, whether he's hurting financially or not, the OS wasn't good enough to force them to not match.

If it was a better offer sheet, even if they chose to match it and regret it today, it would have been worth it. Because Habs took a real shot at it.

I'd never defend Bergevin over anything, but this is the cheapskates putz's doing imo.

Habs have an internal player cap called Carey Price

Reactions: cphabs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Because it was vastly superior to any offer he was getting from Carolina?

Habs fans have been embarrassing themselves about the anniversary of the Aho sheet. Montreal needed to go up a tier of compensation and more money to make it even a valid attempt.

Reports were that Aho had been negotiating with Dundon for months and was nowhere close. He couldn't have passed up the Habs offer, it was by far the best he got.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Redux91

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
In comparison Mitch Marner got a 6 year $10.893 million contract.

Marner put up a stat line of 59gp 16g 51a 67p

vs

Aho’s stat line of 68gp 38g 28a 66 p

No way is Marner worth $2.4 million more per season.

Aho has a good contract and good cap hit.

Bergevin went too low if he actually wanted to land him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad