News Article: Hurricanes regretting the Aho signing now?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Didn't hurt us so not pointless. Just a a very low probability. Maybe it opens up others to try it too this off season cause we have not seen offer sheets signed in years. You just don't like Bergevin so that's why you think it was stupid.
Hurting us would have made it detrimental. We got jack from it, gained nothing, lost nothing, thats pretty much the definition of pointless.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
He's not paid like a generational talent either. A generational center in 2020 is easily 10+ millions. Yes you have guys for under that but they were signed couple of years ago. Crosby was signed 7 years ago on a 12 years contract. Today he would be minimum 12 millions and that would be team friendly. 8.4 millions for a guy like Aho who delivers in playoffs since the beginning of his career is a very fair contract.
What?? Can you reread what i wrote and reread the posts above?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Rangers got no D. They will be fun to watch though. Similar position to the Leafs but not in cap hell like them. I'll be annoyed if the Rangers can fix their D through UFA. Not sure why NYC is an attractive place... I'd hate to live there to be honest... even if it's part time during a season.

Maybe it's because their fans don't attack the players like we do when they are down? :sarcasm:

They certainly are trying.

They they were able to win the Kevin Shattenkirk sweepstakes in 2017 for the top UFA that season (as per sportsnet). Only to buy him in 2019.

NHL's top 15 UFAs of 2017: Latest rumours, reports - Sportsnet.ca

They then traded for Trouba (who wanted to go to NY) and gave him the 6th highest cap hit for a defenceman at $8 million. Is he worth that?

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Didn't hurt us so not pointless. Just a a very low probability. Maybe it opens up others to try it too this off season cause we have not seen offer sheets signed in years. You just don't like Bergevin so that's why you think it was stupid.

I guess the Hockey News don't like Bergevin and that's why they think it was stupid ...Or maybe, it was just pointlessly stupid.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom and LaP

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
That's what Timmins is paid for.

Sure, and Timmins has his hits and misses too.

Just like the Canes missed on Fleury at 7th overall the year prior to Aho.

Unless you're one of those posters that post 365 days a year in the Entry draft threads and are very opinionated on prospects before the draft comes around, I don't think you've earned the right to complain about draft picks, much less 5 years after the fact.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
The offer was certainly an inconvenience to the Hurricanes. But Bergevin is still a moron for ever thinking that number would get him the player. It was a complete farce.

Reactions: BLONG7

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
I would’ve been ok with that
The league has such parity, that I would find it hard to believe the Habs would be in the same position with Aho as they were without. Add let's say 20G, 50 points to the team that they didn't get since he isn't on the team (let's say that 30 or so points are even given the regular output of the team), that's almost a 1G a game difference for the team. Would they have finished out of the playoffs? Impossible to know, but likely not the same team.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Sure, and Timmins has his hits and misses too.

Just like the Canes missed on Fleury at 7th overall the year prior to Aho.

Unless you're one of those posters that post 365 days a year in the Entry draft threads and are very opinionated on prospects before the draft comes around, I don't think you've earned the right to complain about draft picks, much less 5 years after the fact.

fans don't have the right to complain about wasted top picks and missed franchise players? Quite the take you have there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad