Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Info and Discussion - Part VII - Cliff Pu and other shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Diagnose problem. Solve problem.

I like Velluci. A lot. I like his approach to analyzing a problem and doing what's necessary to address it. I'm sure Rod has the same mindset, but Velluci seems like a better analytical mind. In a perfect world we could have Velluci as an assistant, or more of a 1b to compliment Rod's work ethic approach.

With Tulsky on analytics, Rod at the helm, and Velluci complimenting we could have a power house leadership staff.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I'm loving what Velluci is doing with the guys in Charlotte for the most part. I've seen some bad games where the whole team seemed to be a bit lost, but I'm starting to think it's because he's having the players focus on a different part of their game to become better players individually (and as a whole)...this obviously leads to some bad plays/games, but then when things finally click they become unbeatable monsters.

I'm not 100% certain he would necessarily make a good NHL coach, he seems to be doing great with teaching and developing young players, but that doesn't always translate to being a good NHL coach. He's exactly who you want coaching your young guns...either as AHL head or NHL assistant. Obviously it depends on his aspirations (if he wants to be an NHL head coach someone will eventually snag him). If he's happy as an AHL head coach, he's worth overpaying to keep him here IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Maybe Vellucci doesn't want to be an NHL head coach? IIRC, he stepped down from the coaching job in the OHL at one time so he could spend more time on the Executive duties, but later returned to coaching. He might be a guy that likes the executive and player development side of things better. Sure a whole lot less stress than an NHL HC gig.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Necas has been a slow project, and while he's obviously improving I wouldn't assume he's there yet. I would assume we'll give him every chance in the world. He's down there because he struggled with defensive awareness and learning how to slow himself down. They moved him back to center out of necessity when Mckegg got recalled. I would bet it would still be easier for him to break in up here as a wing (where'd he'd still be needed/wanted), and with Staal around I don't know that Rod would trust the kid as the third center over Wallmark.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Necas has been a slow project, and while he's obviously improving I wouldn't assume he's there yet. I would assume we'll give him every chance in the world. He's down there because he struggled with defensive awareness and learning how to slow himself down. They moved him back to center out of necessity when Mckegg got recalled. I would bet it would still be easier for him to break in up here as a wing (where'd he'd still be needed/wanted), and with Staal around I don't know that Rod would trust the kid as the third center over Wallmark.

I just want another right shot in the lineup - I don’t care if he’s center or wing. The PP could use one.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I just want another right shot in the lineup - I don’t care if he’s center or wing. The PP could use one.

As much as I usually poo poo the idea of needing more of X handed forward, having only 1 is a huge challenge. The 2nd PP is so laughably predictable (and untalented) anc a lot of it is that there is absolutely no threat of a cross ice one-timer with Slavin and Hamilton on their natural sides and all lefties up front.

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Maybe Vellucci doesn't want to be an NHL head coach? IIRC, he stepped down from the coaching job in the OHL at one time so he could spend more time on the Executive duties, but later returned to coaching. He might be a guy that likes the executive and player development side of things better. Sure a whole lot less stress than an NHL HC gig.

Vellucci left the Whalers after the 2013–14 season and took a job as an assistant general manager and director of player development with the Carolina Hurricanes of the National Hockey League. After three seasons, he became the head coach of the Hurricanes' American Hockey League affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers in 2017. (from wikipedia)

With Dundon being so atypical I think the earlier suggestion of Vellucci having dual coaching and management roles in Raleigh may be possible. But if money matters I doubt Dundon will be close to offering even rookie NHL coach numbers.

Depends on what the man wants. His ties to Karmanos are what brought him here. I don't think any of us know what's keeping him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille