Prospect Info: Hurricanes Prospect Discussion & Update (part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I hope so, I'm quite excited about him. I wonder tho. If he does come to Charlotte, does that spell the end for Peters?

Depends on Boucher. What Boucher does this offseason affects the grand scheme of things.

If Boucher stays, it'll most likely be

NHL:
Ward
Boucher

AHL:
Peters
Murphy

Muse in ECHL

Andersen in Frölunda

If Boucher does retire, it'll probably be

NHL:
Ward
Peters

AHL:
Murphy
Andersen/Muse

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I think one way or another, Andersen is coming over this year. Their has already been talk that the canes are trying to get him signed. I suppose they could loan him to Frolunda for next season but I don't see the point of holding off on bringing him over for the sake of Murphy or Peters.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
I agree with Cardiac. Choose between Murphy or Peters. Muse is nothing more than a career minor league journeyman who might get a call up to the NHL once or twice, if that. Andersen makes one/two of them expendable, especially if we draft another goalie this year.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
I don't disagree with the notion that Andersen should come over to North America as soon as possible.

However, I don't think the organization wants to get rid of Peters with the positive strides he has shown in the NHL over the past couple of years. Peters needs to either make the jump right around now or be cut loose.

Murphy is still young and learning how to adapt to being a professional goaltender. He's incredibly inconsistent, ranging from fantastic to just plain terrible from night to night, although he seems to play based on the confidence of the team in front of him.

Muse played fantastic for the Checkers while Peters was up here and Murphy was injured, so he might very well have a future somewhere in the AHL.

Andersen dominated the SEL and somehow didn't earn top goalie honors (which still appalls me to this day).

Although I'd hate to see it happen, the best possible scenario would be for Boucher to end up retiring (though I have no idea if that is truly his intention, I'm just going based off rumors I've heard on here). That way, we have Peters up in the NHL full-time, hopefully getting a good number of starts to keep his confidence up and relieve Ward of the workload a bit. Murphy and Andersen fight it out for the AHL starting job, similar to Murphy and Peters this year. Muse stays in Florida until we assess the Peters/Murphy situation after this upcoming season.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Anyone have any feelings on the future of Mahalak?

As much as the joke was at the time of the selection that it was the easiest possible draft pick to predict (late round goalie from Plymouth), he's a solid prospect. Not excellent by any means and he's a decent bit behind our top 3 prospect goalies, but they're also all at a minimum 3 years older then him. As long as we have Ward and Andersen he'll be at best 3rd on the depth charts, but he also was prettymuch right on par with one of the best goalies in the OHL in his teammate Wedgewood. Every reason to expect him to be at least a solid AHL level goalie at this point.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't sweat losing any of the backups. Second and definitely third string goalies aren't the hardest things to find. We can replace peters with someone else's peters if we can't get Anderson.

I was all for peters for a pretty good chunk of time, but he is just not a good enough goalie. Big and athletic, with few natural instincts for the position. Im in no rush to get anderson here but itll be nice to have him once he's around. Jr was adamant about getting the point about back up goalies. They clearly don't want ward playing this much (it was so nice to hear that), and want a guy to play 15-20 games. If boosh retires I don't think they will allow peters have that responsibility. If boosh retires we are likely gonna pick up another ufa goalie just like him. Jr wants the playoffs, and they have limited faith in peters. They aren't likely to think Anderson will step into the backup role with no experience here.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
I don't sweat losing any of the backups. Second and definitely third string goalies aren't the hardest things to find. We can replace peters with someone else's peters if we can't get Anderson.

I was all for peters for a pretty good chunk of time, but he is just not a good enough goalie. Big and athletic, with few natural instincts for the position. Im in no rush to get anderson here but itll be nice to have him once he's around. Jr was adamant about getting the point about back up goalies. They clearly don't want ward playing this much (it was so nice to hear that), and want a guy to play 15-20 games. If boosh retires I don't think they will allow peters have that responsibility. If boosh retires we are likely gonna pick up another ufa goalie just like him. Jr wants the playoffs, and they have limited faith in peters. They aren't likely to think Anderson will step into the backup role with no experience here.

Agreed. I think its

Ward
Boosh/UFA

Murphy
Andersen

next year

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Murphy with 2 assists to help Kitchener advance past Levi (goal) and the Whalers to face London next in Western Conference final.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Everyone is talking about how they are doing offensively, but can anyone inform us how Murphy and Levi did on the defensive side of the puck? Particularly Levi...

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
I'm pretty confident that Andersen stays in Frölunda for another year on loan after signing his ELC. As I understand it you have several decent goalie prospects that needs ice time? It is ideal to have one of them being the guarenteed started for a SEL team, and I am not sure he would trade that spot for the risk of a spot on the bench in the AHL. Secondly he has a contract for one more year in Sweden that he might want to honor. And considering the huge development leap he has taken this year it is not unlikely that he'd like to stay for another year to continue it, working with the same trainers in a known environment he feels at home in. After all he has only played one season in an elite league. Last but not least Denmark plays a very important qualification tournament for the Olympics in February 2013 which he would be guarenteed to be released for by a European team. The Olympics is something Denmark has never participated in and it would be the missing piece to complete the development of the national team over the past 10 years. It would be huge if we could make it.

This is pure speculation though.

Guy

Feb 14, 2008
Any issues with signing him to an ELC with the understanding he'll stay in Sweden for another year? If not, let's go that route.

Robin Hood

Aug 28, 2007
Copenhagen
Any issues with signing him to an ELC with the understanding he'll stay in Sweden for another year? If not, let's go that route.

Not at all. It's actually pretty common to sign European prospects before the two year limit and loan them back to their European team for another year of seasoning. Philip Larsen and Lars Eller (off the top of my head) went with that, also to Frölunda.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Well Kitchener and Murphy are out of the OHL playoffs. Murphy played great against the Knights, played huge minutes, like HUGE minutes, he was always out there. He looked pretty fatigued at the end especially, he was being traped up by 3 sometimes 4 Knights everytime he went to carry the puck and still managed to keep the Rangers in every game.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Well Kitchener and Murphy are out of the OHL playoffs. Murphy played great against the Knights, played huge minutes, like HUGE minutes, he was always out there. He looked pretty fatigued at the end especially, he was being traped up by 3 sometimes 4 Knights everytime he went to carry the puck and still managed to keep the Rangers in every game.

If Murphy had 3 or 4 guys on him then Faksa should've dominated. Dude might be a bust. :sarcasm:

Better go with Tervainen.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Michal Jordan just made a pretty ominous tweet about his future with the organization in a tweet as follows:

Hope that our roads will cross again in future @MichaelMurphy31.if not,you have good bud in czechoslavakia #safeTravel #smellYaLater

It could be just an end of season parting thing, but it could also mean that Jordan plans to play in Europe next season. I suppose we'll wait for the clarification.

Crisis averted: He responded to a tweet of mine saying he will be back. Also got a DM from Mike Murphy again. That guy is a jokester.

Last edited:

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
If Murphy had 3 or 4 guys on him then Faksa should've dominated. Dude might be a bust. :sarcasm:

Better go with Tervainen.

He was pretty invisible, most of his shots were from a ways out or he would miss the net. Never had a very good rush or anything. He didn't seem that bad along the boards though, especially against a 6'7 Tinordi.

Fumble

Mar 22, 2006
John Muse is on the verge of leading the Everblades into the Kelly Cup Finals...just one more win to go against the K-wings.
Justin Shugg has been playing but not dominating from a stats point of view.

Fumble

Mar 22, 2006
After waiting for a week for the Kelley Cup to begin, the Everblades dropped game #1 to Las Vegas 2-1. Game #2 tonight in Sin City before they go to Florida for games 3-5.

JustJoe2k5

Jun 5, 2006
I hope Carolina offers Muse a contract this offseason. He has put up solid numbers at every level of hockey he has played, so there certainly seems to be some potential there.

Fumble

Mar 22, 2006
I hope Carolina offers Muse a contract this offseason. He has put up solid numbers at every level of hockey he has played, so there certainly seems to be some potential there.
Agreed. But from Muse's point of view he may get a better chance (aka: more playing time) from another organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad