Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes offer sheet for Kotkaniemi (1 year, 6.1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
It'll be interesting to see if Bergevin matches. I think Bergevin will keep his emotions in check and keep it about business. The thing I'm wondering is if Carolina made a mistake here or not. I think we will find out fairly soon.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He makes 6 million and has a bad year teams aren’t going to be lining up to sign him. Taking a 3 mil per 3 year deal nets you 9 instead of six and gives you time to develop your career.
He’s sacrificing potential long term earnings for a quick payday. If he’s confident in his skills good for him but it can backfire for his career if he bombs.
He’s not sacrificing Jack.

If they didn’t come forward with this, then we’d be able to bridge him at low dollars and push his UFA years back. We can’t do that anymore.

Plus, if we f*** around with his ice time like before, he can just leave. He’s in total control of his destiny now.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So after KK fails to live up to 6.1M contract, he becomes RFA at that point and Carolina can renegotiate his contract long term at a more reasonable amount no?

This seems like the play from Carolina's side, they can afford the overpay for 1 Year knowing he isn't worth it. Then can renegotiate to a sane amount and still get their 2C locked up.

Yeah, assuming he does well.

If he doesn't, you need to tender him a qualifying offer at 6.1+ a raise I believe, or not qualify him and hope you can get a deal worked out before he's ufa

BergevinBurner

Sep 27, 2019
So after KK fails to live up to 6.1M contract, he becomes RFA at that point and Carolina can renegotiate his contract long term at a more reasonable amount no?

This seems like the play from Carolina's side, they can afford the overpay for 1 Year knowing he isn't worth it. Then can renegotiate to a sane amount and still get their 2C locked up.
As far as I'm aware Carolina would have to offer him at least 6.1 million again next year, and if they don't then KK goes to UFA.

K2MyEverest

Nov 27, 2010
Montreal
If the picks could be used to get a more qualified center, the Hurricanes would currently have said center.

Not necessarly. What the Canes needs isn't necessarly what the Habs needs. Look at their center lines. Aho - Staal - Trocheck. Necas can play center too. They don't need KK that much which is why that move was a bonehead one only to avenge the Aho offersheet two years ago. The pettiness of it displayed on twitter and social media just confirmed it. It's a move made by a gm and a team just to get back at the Habs but you do this with a Suzuki or Caufield. You don't do this with KK who's kinda of a question mark player. The draft being in MTL, MTL needed that 1st round pick to have something to show for the fans next year. Now they have two. Use the extra one and make something out of it. Meanwhile let KK go to Carolina at 6.1M and let them handle that situation next year and this year since they will be 2M over the cap because of it. I just feel like people here look at our roster without KK and think: shit now we suck down the middle and there's nothing we can do to correct it. It's false. Now you have more assets to maybe get a player that will be more reliable than KK and more of a sure thing than him. If you get a 6M player, you might be able to get a player that is worth that 6M, not someone relying on potential of what he should become.

You need that cap space for Caufield and Suzuki a lot more than for KK, if you spend, make it for something worth your money

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
The Habs management are pretty silent right now and I'm surprised.
Last time the Canes got out on the spot and say they would match and laughed at Bergevin.

Bergevin is probably going nuts right now.

What a shitty situation.

The Aho offer sheet was insultingly low imo. Very easy to laugh at. 8.5M per year for a 22 years old, ppg C? Sign me up! + it was an attempt to insult the ability of the owner to pay lol

i'm not surprised that the Habs are quiet. What are you gonna laugh at? Them overpaying Kotka, insulting him in the process? Or laugh about how easy it is to match the offer... but then everyone knows its an overpayment for KK...

Reactions: EXPOS123

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
He would’ve got a bridge deal around 2-3 million a year for at least 2 years, that’s already “set for life” if you aren’t an idiot.

He put his own team in a really bad spot.
Are you talking about KK or MB?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
WTF people defending JK.

I can understand signing for 6.1. That’s not the problem.

The problem is he decided to play along with the $20 signing bonus and make a joke of the team that drafted him 3rd overall and that is STILL his team unless they don’t match.

I can understand the business stuff but the loss of respect is a big red flag.

Let's say someone offered you 3x the salary, and needed you to take that signing bonus or they wouldn't give you the contract. What would you do?

Reactions: zeeto

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

ya, unless another team signs him at 6 million if Carolina doesn’t. It’s a win for KK, a low risk win for the hurricanes and a big loss for us. Any way you spin it the habs are with their pants down.

Ajhccwrs

Jun 17, 2017
There is no way in gods green earth do you let him walk, I've said this several times this will be the LeClair situation all over again. Why on earth would u want a late 25+ first round pick. for a potential 1/2 line C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad