Hurricanes' nice looking SHG

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Derek Ryan is one of my favorite stories out of the past couple years. Similar to Joel Ward but he arguably had to work even harder than Ward to make it.

Yes, people who land in EBEL (Austrian league) rarely make their way to NHL, it's the other way around usually. He was exceptionally good in his 3rd year there, followed up by a great year in SHL, pretty much the perfect reversed story.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
For people talking about the Derek Ryan success story, I wouldn't give him too much praise just yet. He deserves a lot of praise surely for tonight's game. However, prior to that I have seen very little out of Derek Ryan. The Canes badly need a 3C, ESPECIALLY with Jordan Staal out. Ryan has been the de facto 3C on a team that has very little depth, but aside from tonight he's looked mostly like an AHL/NHL tweener. It you take out tonight's 2 goal game, he has 1G 4A in 13 games. I also haven't been impressed with Ryan's defense 5-on-5 (weirdly enough I like his play on the PK though). Time will tell if Ryan sticks, but it sure would fill a huge need on the Canes if he did.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I was actually impressed by doughty on that play. His skating is so good, he manages to pressure both players and lay down to take away the pass. If the Canes players are any slower doughty stops them.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah

Maybe not "less than amicable" but it definitely shows that he looked over this game in terms of preparing for it and it came back to bite him.

As a Kings fan I only know Skinner, Staal, and Ward from the top of my head. I missed yesterday's game, but looking at the roster it seems like a bunch of new kids were dressed. And judging from Sutters post game quotes, the whole team underestimated the Canes.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
As a Kings fan I only know Skinner, Staal, and Ward from the top of my head. I missed yesterday's game, but looking at the roster it seems like a bunch of new kids were dressed. And judging from Sutters post game quotes, the whole team underestimated the Canes.

Nobody new, McGinn and Ryan came up a few weeks ago. Otherwise it's pretty much the same roster it has been all season, minus Staal and Lindholm who are hurt.

I think it's probably easy to look at Carolina's record and say "oh they suck" but they really don't. They have gotten flustered and blown a few big leads, but they can play with anybody.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Nobody new, McGinn and Ryan came up a few weeks ago. Otherwise it's pretty much the same roster it has been all season, minus Staal and Lindholm who are hurt.

I think it's probably easy to look at Carolina's record and say "oh they suck" but they really don't. They have gotten flustered and blown a few big leads, but they can play with anybody.

Leads in 22 out of 27 games this season. 11 wins.

I mean, it's not a bad team, and people underestimate them at their own risk. But not sure why the **** they're not well in to the playoff picture right now other then an absolute inability to close out games which has led to every single OT loss they have so far.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No it wouldn't, because the point of the thread isn't to embarrass the defender. It was a nice looking goal, that's all.

Lets be honest, if it were a more oft criticized for his poor defense dman, somebody else might have beaten you to posting the video with a completely different tagline.

That said, that was a pretty play.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Lets be honest, if it were a more oft criticized for his poor defense dman, somebody else might have beaten you to posting the video with a completely different tagline.

That said, that was a pretty play.

Let's be honest, one of those guys has no less than five threads currently running talking about how he's the best d-man of the generation and it's not even close, while this one doesn't show up in anything but 'overrated' threads.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Let's be honest, one of those guys has no less than five threads currently running talking about how he's the best d-man of the generation and it's not even close, while this one doesn't show up in anything but 'overrated' threads.

To be honest, Karlsson (I assume that's who we're talking about) is far more divisive. People seem to love him or hate him. Doughty, while he does have his irrational haters, doesn't get the same levels of extremes.

Part of that is a few posters really trying to talk up Karlsson every chance they get resulting in some kick back (though perhaps they'd claim they talk him up so much in response to all the 'haters').

In the end, it's refreshing to see people focusing on what the offense did well, but do you really thing that would have happened if it were Subban, Josi, Karlsson or Burns? Doughty is getting off very easy here, and perhaps he's earned that with his past play.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

And as a Canes fan, I could only name Kopitar and Quick off the top of my head. As a player though, especially as one of the team's leaders, you should know better than to overlook any team, especially a hungry young team looking to make their mark and bring playoff hockey back to Raleigh.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
^ I'm gonna sound like an old fart, but that sort of thing (the video title) is a pretty typical reflection of the internet age.

I'm old enough to have been an adult before the internet really came to be commonplace for most people, and I can tell you for sure I've seen a definite shift in commentary, whether you're talking about sports, music, a new movie, books, whatever, there's an aura of negativity. It's as though people feel like by criticizing or trashing something or someone they think they can elevate themselves, make themselves look smarter or more discerning, or whatever.

There was a time when that would've just been a great play and that was the end of it.

And every time I see a topic on this board about who's the worst at whatever, or what's the worst team to do this, I just kinda cringe inside, when our societal dialogue is overly focused on trying to find the bad in everything that's not normal or healthy and it only sets people off from each other.

old guy rant off

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
^ I'm gonna sound like an old fart, but that sort of thing (the video title) is a pretty typical reflection of the internet age.

I'm old enough to have been an adult before the internet really came to be commonplace for most people, and I can tell you for sure I've seen a definite shift in commentary, whether you're talking about sports, music, a new movie, books, whatever, there's an aura of negativity. It's as though people feel like by criticizing or trashing something or someone they think they can elevate themselves, make themselves look smarter or more discerning, or whatever.

There was a time when that would've just been a great play and that was the end of it.

And every time I see a topic on this board about who's the worst at whatever, or what's the worst team to do this, I just kinda cringe inside, when our societal dialogue is overly focused on trying to find the bad in everything that's not normal or healthy and it only sets people off from each other.

old guy rant off

Well, this isn't extremely hypocritical at all.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

old guy rant off

Spectacular post. I agree.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad