Hurricanes' nice looking SHG

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Doughty's going to get a lot of grief for that, but it wasn't so much his fault as it was just a great play offensively. You aren't expecting that pass, no way, no how. That was some wizardry.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doughty's going to get a lot of grief for that, but it wasn't so much his fault as it was just a great play offensively. You aren't expecting that pass, no way, no how. That was some wizardry.

You have no idea :laugh:

But he should regardless, played like absolute **** all night and deserved getting posterized like that

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i will trade u ron hainsey for him

For the next 10 games? I might. Drew has been the worst he's been in his career for the last 5ish games...funny because he's been PPG for like 8.

Glad to see hard working players earn a sweet goal off a guy who is sniffing his own press clippings and believing his own hype right now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Yeah people forget that there's other players on the ice sometimes. Doughty over persues in the NZ but he recovered nicely, just got beat by a good play. It happens. Now if this were someone other defenders the title would have their name in it. Doughty gets off easy in comparison.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Derek Ryan is one of my favorite stories out of the past couple years. Similar to Joel Ward but he arguably had to work even harder than Ward to make it.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah people forget that there's other players on the ice sometimes. Doughty over persues in the NZ but he recovered nicely, just got beat by a good play. It happens. Now if this were someone other defenders the title would have their name in it. Doughty gets off easy in comparison.

For sure, but this is how he makes his living and his name, he can't afford to get beat on those any more than more offensive defensemen can afford to have their production tail off. "defensive production" is a huge part of Drew's game and though he'll get scored on once in a while on odd-man breaks rarely does he go flailing around like a dude who just got crash test dummied by a car :laugh:

Then again, he's possibly overcompensating for having Zatkoff in net, but still.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
This thread would be so much better if that was Karlsson instead of Doughty

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Derek Ryan is one of my favorite stories out of the past couple years. Similar to Joel Ward but he arguably had to work even harder than Ward to make it.

It's Joel Ward but with 4 years in Europe (including 3 years in Austria before dominating the SHL for 1 year) added to the CIS stint after juniors.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's Joel Ward but with 4 years in Europe (including 3 years in Austria before dominating the SHL for 1 year) added to the CIS stint after juniors.

You can see the pure joy written on his face after either goal tonight...immediately looks for his teammates, and so stoked to score. I threw my remote but it was at the Kings, not him

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
As stated here Doughty has not been close to himself lately. Ironic as 8 points in his last 8 games, but just goes to shows how offense means ****. Every King's fan would be the first to tell you he has been bad those games yet stat watchers probably think oh he finally is providing offense!!!

Very slick play though and not sure you can pinpoint that one on DD.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
For sure, but this is how he makes his living and his name, he can't afford to get beat on those any more than more offensive defensemen can afford to have their production tail off. "defensive production" is a huge part of Drew's game and though he'll get scored on once in a while on odd-man breaks rarely does he go flailing around like a dude who just got crash test dummied by a car :laugh:

Then again, he's possibly overcompensating for having Zatkoff in net, but still.

It was pretty much a perfect play. Smart, quick puck movement gives both goalies and d-men fits. ...If you want to see an increase in scoring this along with creativity are the keys.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was pretty much a perfect play. Smart, quick puck movement gives both goalies and d-men fits. ...If you want to see an increase in scoring this along with creativity are the keys.

you know what gives your already-****** goalie fits and makes it an impossible read? swerving back and forth taking neither shot nor pass.

I'm not saying any of this to take away from a beautiful play, I'm just venting.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
you know what gives your already-****** goalie fits and makes it an impossible read? swerving back and forth taking neither shot nor pass.

I'm not saying any of this to take away from a beautiful play, I'm just venting.

Swerving back and forth? I don't follow. Is he not supposed to pressure the puck carrier (shooter) on a 2 on 1? The Kings got caught deep and and in a line change. What could have he done? They executed it perfectly. The puck comes out of the zone to McGinn and the Doughty pressures him because he really doesn't have any option than to try to prevent a break; I highly doubt he was aware that his they were caught with his partner in a line change. Normally, his partner would have had that and it wouldn't have been a 2 on 1. So McGinn makes a quick pass to Ryan who then is on a partial break so Doughty has to go to him. Then Ryan makes a super slick behind the back pass back to McGinn springing him in with a wide open stick side shot which once again forces him to the puck carrier and finally another great pass underneath a diving Doughty (who almost gets it, almost) and then Ryan finishes it.

I still don't see what he could have done. Most 2 on 1's don't occur with two different players each having their own partial breaks. Anytime you see that, it is pretty much a guaranteed goal.

Beauty play by the Canes duo.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Swerving back and forth? I don't follow. Is he not supposed to pressure the puck carrier (shooter) on a 2 on 1? The Kings got caught deep and and in a line change. What could have he done? They executed it perfectly. The puck comes out of the zone to McGinn and the Doughty pressures him because he really doesn't have any option than to try to prevent a break; I highly doubt he was aware that his they were caught with his partner in a line change. Normally, his partner would have had that and it wouldn't have been a 2 on 1. So McGinn makes a quick pass to Ryan who then is on a partial break so Doughty has to go to him. Then Ryan makes a super slick behind the back pass back to McGinn springing him in with a wide open stick side shot which once again forces him to the puck carrier and finally another great pass underneath a diving Doughty (who almost gets it, almost) and then Ryan finishes it.

I still don't see what he could have done. Most 2 on 1's don't occur with two different players each having their own partial breaks. Anytime you see that, it is pretty much a guaranteed goal.

I agree with the boldfaced.

Re: the defense, a guy like Doughty often tries to pressure a pass into happening so he can pick it off; that part was successful. Obviously he didn't get the pass due to the perfect play, that was unsuccessful. But any d-man is taught growing up to take away the passing lane while pressuring the shooter...but your goalie will tell you just take one or the other so he can make a decision as well. Drew did neither, he tried to pinch on the puck coming into the zone, fine...and yes, he had to pressure the first pass...after the behind the back was made he could have stayed in that lane to prevent a return pass. But he does pick those off so frequently it's hard to get TOO mad on the one in 10 that goes through I suppose, but Drew screwed Zatkoff there and the Canes pulled off a fantastic play. It can be both things.

FinnWin

Nov 1, 2013

He's a great player but calling him THE Doughty is a bit much :sarcasm:

Anyway, wouldn't blame the D, it was a fantastic play by the Canes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad