Hurricanes Name Don Waddell as GM and Rod Brind’Amour as Head Coach

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I wish him well, but I'm afraid that this has " bring in a former fan favorite player to coach" written all over it. His role with the hurricanes for a while ( like 5 or six years) has been assistant coach, correct ? Has he ever had a head coaching gig ?

My guess is that the compete level goes up for physical fear of the head coach.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not even sure why he'd want the gig. Didn't he just see all the bad that apparently Ron went through as an ex-Cane? Does he want his name ruined as well?

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thing is, none of us know what capabilities he has as a head coach, because he's never been one. Heck, none of us even know how good of an assistant coach he was, since we don't see the in's and out's of whats going on and the Canes haven't been a talented team no matter who coaches.

I think he's dedicated, intense, knows his x's and o's and will have the respect of the players, but the lack of any head coaching experience makes it a complete unknown.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Thing is, none of us know what capabilities he has as a head coach, because he's never been one. Heck, none of us even know how good of an assistant coach he was, since we don't see the in's and out's of whats going on and the Canes haven't been a talented team no matter who coaches.

I think he's dedicated, intense, knows his x's and o's and will have the respect of the players, but the lack of any head coaching experience makes it a complete unknown.

I guess my concern is the following ( well two concerns). One is that the GM spot is still open, is it not ? The second is, would he have been on anyone else's short list for a HC position, other than the Canes ? My guess is no. This seems like a lazy choice ( and being a fan of a team that is also uber lazy about who they pick to coach) it trades on his legacy with the team which could be sacrificed if things go south. it also makes him a superbly easy scapegoat.

There is no question he is intense, like mike keenan intense ( based on his time as a player, perhaps he's softened but he would need a LOT of softening). How well that plays on a young team in transition in most if not all levels of management/ownership is the real unknown.

Reactions: Tryamw

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I guess my concern is the following ( well two concerns). One is that the GM spot is still open, is it not ? The second is, would he have been on anyone else's short list for a HC position, other than the Canes ? My guess is no. This seems like a lazy choice ( and being a fan of a team that is also uber lazy about who they pick to coach) it trades on his legacy with the team which could be sacrificed if things go south. it also makes him a superbly easy scapegoat.

There is no question he is intense, like mike keenan intense ( based on his time as a player, perhaps he's softened but he would need a LOT of softening). How well that plays on a young team in transition in most if not all levels of management/ownership is the real unknown.

I seem to recall he either got interviews or there was interest from either Pittsburgh before they hired Sullivan or Philly before they hired Hakstol but I don't know how far he got in either process, if at all.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hell with it. If we are going to have an owner that wants to be unconventional and stir shit up, then stir away and see what happens.

Best Case: Rod turns out to be a pretty good coach.
Worst Case: Rod is a horrible coach and we are in line for a top 5 pick again next year.
Probable Case: Coaching is a bit over-rated and the Canes will continue to be a bubble team until they add more talent and fix the goaltending.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Brindy was never a dumb hockey player. People got bent out of shape about the quality of the Special Teams the past couple years, but he was being asked to make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I think its telling that he was able to stick around despite the cleansing of the old regime here in Raleigh. Clearly, Waddell, Dudley, and Dundon have a ton of faith in him.

Also expecting Waddell to have the interim tag removed in the near future. Just makes sense at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Odd to have a coaching hire before the GM is in place.

Probably says something about the quality of GM they plan to hire after Waddell's interim bit is over.

Tough luck Canes fans. I'm seeing a lot of you guys defend the new owner. Hopefully it all works out for you guys. As a fanbase you guys are my favorite "non-traditional market" crowd after my Stars.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Hell with it. If we are going to have an owner that wants to be unconventional and stir **** up, then stir away and see what happens.

Best Case: Rod turns out to be a pretty good coach.
Worst Case: Rod is a horrible coach and we are in line for a top 5 pick again next year.
Probable Case: Coaching is a bit over-rated and the Canes will continue to be a bubble team until they add more talent and fix the goaltending.

yeah you might fire rod in the middle of the game and force him to take a cab home from the rink. I think the days of " throw stuff against the wall and see what sticks" as a viable organizational strategy are pretty much done.

then again my team thought that a winger could somehow magically fill a hole at 1C. So good luck with that.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad