Hurricanes Lounge XXXV: Now Accepting Sponsorships for Thread Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Good point. My parents have an Apple desktop from before 2010, not sure on exact date, that still runs but it’s rather slow and clumsy. Can’t get them to get a new one.
The initial price tag is high but you do get a nicely balanced machine with a lot of features that are lacking from cheap PCs. I personally could make do with a 2007 Macbook until this summer, with Linux Mint installed on the side so that I would have a current OS with current browsers for to use such current websites that 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and browsers available to it want to know nothing of.

Obviously I didn't stream video.

Reactions: DaveG and raynman

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

So agree. Can’t imagine. It’s one thing to spill my woes here but in the workplace- no way. The occasional dinner out at an event or conference is about all I can tolerate unless it’s a few celebratory drinks with my good teammates.

"Hey, let's tear down all of this awful structure imposed on us by corporate America and really connect!"

"I demand that someone take action about the inappropriate behaviors going on in this workplace!"

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

So agree. Can’t imagine. It’s one thing to spill my woes here but in the workplace- no way. The occasional dinner out at an event or conference is about all I can tolerate unless it’s a few celebratory drinks with my good teammates.

I’ll share my feelings with my coworkers when I damn well please. And that will be half past never, thank you.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Thankfully yes. They've paid their part, but are still leaving me with a hefty chunk of change to pay off. I'll probably end up delaying the payments as much as possible and hoping that when they send that final "Hey pay this or legal stuff happens" notice, I'll have built my bank account back up a bit.
Typically They'll allow installments at whatever rate you talk to them about and won't send you to collections. (Even like $25 a month) typically interest free.

Reactions: Stickpucker

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Thankfully yes. They've paid their part, but are still leaving me with a hefty chunk of change to pay off. I'll probably end up delaying the payments as much as possible and hoping that when they send that final "Hey pay this or legal stuff happens" notice, I'll have built my bank account back up a bit.
My dad had to go to the ER after his knee surgery because it wasn't healing right (he's on blood thinners due to heart valve replacement), and he had to get an ambulance because my mom couldn't get him out of bed or into the car due to it being effectively immobilized. They already hit their out of pocket maximum obviously, so bills were covered fully for the ER visit. BUT, they got billed $1200 for the f***ing AMBULANCE... because it was OUT OF NETWORK...the ambulance...

...the ACA somehow made bad healthcare even worse bc of it's reliance on high-deductible plans and strict networks

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
Cheap insurance:

Emergency Medical Services (EMS)
$60 Subscription Program

Subscription%202020.PNG

Emergencies Happen

Everyone experiences emergencies from time to time. They're simply a part of life. Unfortunately, they're also costly. For instance, a typical emergency ambulance transport can often exceed $500, and most insurance providers, including Medicare, will not cover the full amount of an ambulance bill.
The Wake County EMS $60 Subscription

Fortunately, we offer all residents of Wake County relief from direct cost of ambulance services. For $60 per year, you and all permanent residents of your household can receive emergency 9-1-1 ambulance service anywhere in Wake County as many times as needed. Your annual subscription fee relieves you of any direct costs of 9-1-1 ambulance service not paid by your insurance. Your coverage begins two days after receipt of your payment and ends on Dec. 31.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's the 13" retina late 2013 model. Whoah, how time flies.

She got the Yosemite 10.10.5 and after that "upgrades no available".
Actually I don't get this.

A September 2015 released OS X El Capitan should work with the late 2013 model just fine. Did she just miss the upgrade when available, or what.

According to the system requirements, even the 2020 release Big Sur should work, and everything in between.

It may be she skipped El Capitan and then didn't get automatic prompts to upgrade after that as she wasn't on the newest release. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
So I finally got the medical bills for the car accident.

Mind you, I was (somehow) perfectly OK after the crash. They checked me out at the scene and basically said "Yeah, you seem OK, but you flipped your car so we recommend riding with us to the hospital to make sure there's no internal issues going on." And I agreed, because yeah, that makes sense.

So I got to the hospital, they ran X-rays, blood/urine samples, etc for about 2 hours, then told me "Yep, you're somehow OK. We're going to keep you here for another 2 hours for observation, then you can go."

So for an ambulance ride + 4 hours of hospital time to tell me the same thing I knew at the scene of the crash: $8k

...Super

Medical care is an absolute dumpster fire and should be illegal the way its run and billed. DC ( both sides) only focus on the insurance side but when there is a wink wink agreement between the hospitals and the insurance companies about charges something is just flat wrong. Perfect example, I broke my leg in 2005ish needed a plate and rods put in it. My insurance was slow to pay so I got the full broke down bill. In reading over it they charged $150.00 to USE the cordless drill to put the screws in place. Obviously my insurance company didnt pay that much but someone that was uninsured would have had to pay it. There is no way, zero that something like that can be justified.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

This would release my inner Red Foreman "i feel you all should shut the hell up or the next feeling you have will be my boot up your ass". /s... But only kinda

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Medical care is an absolute dumpster fire and should be illegal the way its run and billed. DC ( both sides) only focus on the insurance side but when there is a wink wink agreement between the hospitals and the insurance companies about charges something is just flat wrong. Perfect example, I broke my leg in 2005ish needed a plate and rods put in it. My insurance was slow to pay so I got the full broke down bill. In reading over it they charged $150.00 to USE the cordless drill to put the screws in place. Obviously my insurance company didnt pay that much but someone that was uninsured would have had to pay it. There is no way, zero that something like that can be justified.

The fact that hospitals refuse to tell you what things cost tells you all you need to know about our f***ed up healthcare system.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The fact that hospitals refuse to tell you what things cost tells you all you need to know about our f***ed up healthcare system.
I think it is a law now that they have to have all their charges for services available, but good luck deciphering the list. Or finding it on their website.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I think it is a law now that they have to have all their charges for services available, but good luck deciphering the list. Or finding it on their website.
So much this, even working in medical IT i wouldn't have the f***ing slightest on where to find it on the site for any of the hospitals i support.

Billing department? Sure that's easy to find. Oh you wanted the actual pricing anywhere on the billing page? Lol yeah fat f***ing chance bud.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So much this, even working in medical IT i wouldn't have the f***ing slightest on where to find it on the site for any of the hospitals i support.

Billing department? Sure that's easy to find. Oh you wanted the actual pricing anywhere on the billing page? Lol yeah fat f***ing chance bud.
Even if you find the list, good luck figuring out what it means or how it translates to what you need. For example, when my wife was getting chemo after her leukemia diagnosis, she would require a shot the day after release from the hospital. Copay on the shot for us was $100 dollars and I had to do the stick. Our doctor thought that was ridiculous as if he did it there would be no copay. So next treatment we went to the clinic to have him do it. We were charged a $2300 charge out of pocket for him to do the injection. But no copay….

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

The other problem I ran into when my wife had knee surgery was that the hospital would ONLY give me the costs of their services. The radiologist was separate, the anesthesiologist was separate, the surgeon was separate, etc.. etc.. There was no way I could get 1 single itemized list for everything that would be done.

A couple years later when she went in for knee replacement, I was able to cobble together most of it, but as she's about to go in for surgery, the admin hands me a form that talks about payment for the actual device itself. I was like WTF? The form said that device cost $x and if insurance rejects the submission, I was on the hook for it and I needed to sign this before proceeding and pay a deposit of $1500. I get that there is a clause that says that all the time, but I spent weeks on the phone with these folks and my insurance and suddenly there's a form and a deposit out of the blue.

I told the admin I wouldn't sign it and the Doctor finally came out and said this was just standard stuff, he's done a ton of knee replacements and there's never been an issue, etc.. etc.. so I relented. Insurance covered it and I got the deposit back, but it was frustrating as hell to find this out at the last minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad