OT: Hurricanes Lounge XLIII: As Fun As Waterboarding

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I haven’t been on scene truly. It was in the building. Seeing it firsthand must be otherworldly in a bad way.
I was training a guy that day. He quit the next day.

I got really drunk a couple days later with my normal partner who was also on the call, the trainee was third riding. We couldn’t even talk about it until we weren’t making sense. Normally the big ones I handled fine, or think/thought I did. Not so much that one. Some just kick you in the tenders.

Last edited:

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Does everything have to be a conspiracy?
Well, if they don't want people to believe in conspiracies, then they shouldn't oh, IDK name a NASA mission to shoot 3 rockets at the solar eclipse some people are already freaked out about after a freaking ancient Egyptian serpent deity.

Oh, and you know, just pick 8 April as the date for CERN to fire back up the LHC after a 3 year hiatus...

But like I've said before- they WANT us to think everything is a conspiracy. That way they can do things like Epstein the Boeing whistleblower right in the middle of all the aircraft mishaps and nobody notices or thinks its out of the ordinary.

Reactions: DaveG

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well, if they don't want people to believe in conspiracies, then they shouldn't oh, IDK name a NASA mission to shoot 3 rockets at the solar eclipse some people are already freaked out about after a freaking ancient Egyptian serpent deity.

Oh, and you know, just pick 8 April as the date for CERN to fire back up the LHC after a 3 year hiatus...

But like I've said before- they WANT us to think everything is a conspiracy. That way they can do things like Epstein the Boeing whistleblower right in the middle of all the aircraft mishaps and nobody notices or thinks its out of the ordinary.

Um. How many sixes you guys think there are in the logo?

240px-CERN_logo.svg.png

Reactions: Stickpucker

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

Why shouldn't they fire it up on that date? There is no eclipse in Europe...it is just a day.

If we want people to to not believe in conspiracies, the simple solution is to f***ing educate them.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Um. How many sixes you guys think there are in the logo?

240px-CERN_logo.svg.png
I'm more interested in why a huge statue of Shiva, goddess of destruction is out front, and why they'd had occult rituals infront of it.

Cue the apologists: "Why SHOULDN'T they have a statue of Shiva? It's perfectly NORMAL. The ritual was a HOAX! It was just a bunch of silly young scientists KIDDING around"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Why shouldn't they fire it up on that date? There is no eclipse in Europe...it is just a day.

If we want people to to not believe in conspiracies, the simple solution is to f***ing educate them.

I know if I was doing something nefarious, one of the first things I'd do is set up clues to hint at my nefarious deeds.

Because that's what all conspiracy theories boil down to. "Oh, there's something being covered up, but also they left clues for us to figure out!" Uh...why?

@Negan4Coach brings up Epstein and the Boeing whistleblower. Was there even a hint of espionage in either of those cases? Or was it literally "Yeah, they were killed for what they knew, and everyone knows it, but no one can really do much about it"?

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So tired of this shit. No, it's not a conspiracy. We just live in a chaotic world where things happen all the time for stupid, human reasons.

You know the kind of thing that could make a ship lose power? Water mixed into the fuel. Somebody forgets to make sure a fuel tank is fully dry after washing it out for maintenance, and there's water at the bottom being fed into the engine first, so just outside of port after the stuff in the fuel lines is burnt you're dumping water into a giant diesel engine and completely dousing it. Ship loses power and presto bango, no more bridge.

Isn't that infinitely more reasonable a scenario than some global illuminati bullcrap? Some guy finished his work on tank number 11 and thought he had done all 12 because he's been scraping fuel residue out of identical tanks for 5 days on end.

Conspiracy theorists want the illusion of control. They want there to be somebody, somewhere, pulling the levers because they can't live with the idea that sometimes shit just happens. The idea that somebody can pull the levers is the idea that if things get really, really bad, somebody can save us. Same impulse that leads to a lot of religious belief.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
So tired of this shit. No, it's not a conspiracy. We just live in a chaotic world where things happen all the time for stupid, human reasons.

You know the kind of thing that could make a ship lose power? Water mixed into the fuel. Somebody forgets to make sure a fuel tank is fully dry after washing it out for maintenance, and there's water at the bottom being fed into the engine first, so just outside of port after the stuff in the fuel lines is burnt you're dumping water into a giant diesel engine and completely dousing it. Ship loses power and presto bango, no more bridge.

Isn't that infinitely more reasonable a scenario than some global illuminati bullcrap? Some guy finished his work on tank number 11 and thought he had done all 12 because he's been scraping fuel residue out of identical tanks for 5 days on end.

Conspiracy theorists want the illusion of control. They want there to be somebody, somewhere, pulling the levers because they can't live with the idea that sometimes shit just happens. The idea that somebody can pull the levers is the idea that if things get really, really bad, somebody can save us. Same impulse that leads to a lot of religious belief.

Yep. And to add to the illogic of most of these conspiracy theorists, most of them come from the mindset of how bad government is at doing everything and that we need to make it smaller and have more private organizations doing these things because the government can't get out of it's own way.....

...EXCEPT they are masters of keeping thousands of people to keep a damn secret about the "fake" moon landings, or the alien babies, or the inside job for bringing down the towers, or whatever other thing. Can't trust the government to administer healthcare because they are incompetent, but sure, they kept all the thousands of people on the moon program quiet about the film set where it really happened.

Lunacy.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I'm considering taking my wife out for her birthday weekend, which is in roughly a month. We're looking to drive or fly somewhere and bring our 6 month old baby. He's been a trooper on small trips. Any advice on cool cities to visit? We've done DC recently and had a blast, but that was pre-baby. I've enjoyed my time in Chicago and Boston and Tampa in the past. I'd appreciate any advice. Looking to go somewhere in the US east of Kansas City I'd say.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm considering taking my wife out for her birthday weekend, which is in roughly a month. We're looking to drive or fly somewhere and bring our 6 month old baby. He's been a trooper on small trips. Any advice on cool cities to visit? We've done DC recently and had a blast, but that was pre-baby. I've enjoyed my time in Chicago and Boston and Tampa in the past. I'd appreciate any advice. Looking to go somewhere in the US east of Kansas City I'd say.

I'd recommend New Orleans. I went with the church youth on a mission trip there the summer after Covid. It's neat, awesome food, cool history, live music a plenty (especially if you like Jazz). We didn't go to the WW2 museum but I hear it's a must.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Depends on what you’re into but Huntsville Alabama is nice. Biggish but small too. Good food. Good outdoor scene and if you like space and rockets, the museum is cool. They have a wristband where you can walk the 6 breweries that are a 1/2 mile a part while drinking.

I don’t like country music but Nashville is one.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'd say try Savannah....it's a bit of a mixture of New Orleans and Charleston. Very fun scene - great food, good music, and plenty of history as well.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'll second the Nashville mention, and you don't even have to be into the country music scene to really dig that city. So many cool bars and places to eat throughout Broadway that you'll have to pre-plan which ones to hit.

Reactions: hockeynjune

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'll second the Nashville mention, and you don't even have to be into the country music scene to really dig that city. So many cool bars and places to eat throughout Broadway that you'll have to pre-plan which ones to hit.
Probably not ideal for bringing their 6 month old baby though.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Ditto , kids just relocated to Nashville. Wife was there for a week and loved it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad