News Article: Hurricanes look to return to playoffs in 2017

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Thank you for redeeming some of my faith in the Technician which was shattered earlier today by staff columnist Jim Twiddy.

Here are the things I hate most about this article. This list is not all-inclusive.

1. Misuse of semicolons.
  2. 100% reliance on anecdotal evidence.
  3. That dude's face.
  4. Relying on the word "seem", rather than presenting anything of enough substance to allow him to speak authoritatively.
  5. High school freshman writing style.
  6. Advocating breaking traffic laws.
  7. He begins by saying a bike is a great way to get from A to B. He ends by saying it's only useful for recreation or exercise and that it's a bad idea to use it to get to work or school.

On the other hand, I did like OP's article. Well-written and to the point.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
When I went to NC State I started a comedy troupe called CIA: Comedic Improvisation Alliance. We just wanted the acronym for obvious reasons. After explaining what we do and when our upcoming show was to a reporter in an interview, I eagerly awaited the Technician the next day. Not only did they report our show time incorrectly, they also called us Christians in Action but still described us as an improv comedy troupe.

I swear the Technician exclusively seeks out the most stereotypical engineers on campus who can't write worth a damn.

That was just improv of their own that you failed to appreciate. Well played, Technician.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Awesome.

I picked up the Technician last week for the first time in awhile on Hillsborough, and then I promptly put it back down. I usually only search for my students' names in bylines as a curiosity. Does this make it to print? If so I'll watch for your column from now on.

Yes, we run home game recaps and commentaries/columns/features in print for the Canes, thanks, I hope you like them!

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Here are the things I hate most about this article. This list is not all-inclusive.

1. Misuse of semicolons.
  3. That dude's face.
  4. Relying on the word "seem", rather than presenting anything of enough substance to allow him to speak authoritatively.
  7. He begins by saying a bike is a great way to get from A to B. He ends by saying it's only useful for recreation or exercise and that it's a bad idea to use it to get to work or school.

Thank you! Yeah I'm generally not a fan of the opinion section either but we run some good stuff at sports.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Kev's right that distracted driving is the big issue, but unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon (even though it should).

I think it'll be illegal for most people to drive on most roads one day. Sooner than you might think. When the change comes, it'll come at lightning speed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I think it'll be illegal for most people to drive on most roads one day. Sooner than you might think. When the change comes, it'll come at lightning speed.

They'll need to have different signs for "drive-able" roads vs. "non drive-able" roads. Or maybe paint them different colors.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB

1. Misuse of semicolons.
  3. That dude's face.

it is an hf article

#statusquo #modusoperandi

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh

When that day comes a boat load of old farts including myself will set sail in search of the new world.

I don't even want to give up manual transmissions. Self-driving cars can go **** right off.

Then again, if it means having the option to do more productive things during my commute, I might be open to it. Still, I want to be able to drive when I want to because I find it to be a very enjoyable activity (outside of traffic at least). I guess I can live with a Googlemobile as long as I can also have a roadster.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
i would pay millions of dollars to never have to drive again and get to do more productive things during my commute

As would I, but my reasoning would be to extend my life due to what driving, especially through Morrisville, does to my blood pressure.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
oh, you mean little india?

i lived there for the past two years and just moved to cary last month. i kind of miss being 3 minutes away from delicious indian food instead of being 9 minutes away from delicious indian food.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I refer to it as Nepal. I lived there for 2.5 years (bordered it in Cary for 20), but I still have to drive through it every day for work. I'm to the point that I start to get pissed the second I see an early 2000s sienna minivan or camry with gold trim. I'm surprised I haven't killed someone while going 35mph on Church St. Great people, atrocious drivers. My old neighbor was an Indian guy that ran (or worked for) an international driving school. I subtly tried to tell him that here, we try to at least go what the speed limit sign says, and to not take "limit" literally. He looked confused.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about self-driving cars any time soon. Just like alternate energy, there will be a campaign against it so big it will blow your mind from insurance companies that know the majority of their cash comes from premium hikes after accidents and risky drivers.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I wouldn't worry too much about self-driving cars any time soon. Just like alternate energy, there will be a campaign against it so big it will blow your mind from insurance companies that know the majority of their cash comes from premium hikes after accidents and risky drivers.

But unlike alternate energy, consumers will immediately see the value and will demand the technology in a way that is not true with alternative energy. NHTSA has already ruled that a computer can be considered a driver under federal law.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure when it will come, but driver-less cars would pretty much eliminate traffic jams as well as most (if not all) accidents.

I don't think it will quite be like alternative energy though Vagrant. As Hanks stated, there weren't, and still aren't enough compelling financial benefits for a broad base of consumers to demand it. It took up to 50% rebates/incentives from the state and federal governments just to get people and companies to try and adopt it, and it still didn't make sense for most everyone. I looked seriously into geothermal and solar for my home because of the incentives and it still was a 13 year+ ROI at best.

I think driver-less cars are more akin to things like airbags (or other safety mechanisms) on cars or the Gov't forcing companies to reach a better C.A.F.E. The auto industry, and many other factions fought that for ages, but when consumers saw the benefit (saving lives in one case, saving money due to higher gas prices in the other), the technology advanced and quickly became mainstream.

If alternative energy made financial sense for consumers, you would see that being adopted on a much grander scale.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
driverless cars would eliminate the need for four way stops because they could perfectly weave through each other at speed

travel times would be reduced dramatically and fuel efficiency would go way up

pedestrians would just have to learn to deal, though

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
It would also eliminate DUIs, Highway Patrol, backup cameras, rearview and side mirrors, pedals, and driver education programs.

Finnish Jerk Train

Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
you should take the bus

you can work on ur laptop, phone, etc during your commute

instant doubling of ur productivity (commuting *and* working)

both, at the exact same time

I'm a big fan of this idea, but only when it makes sense. To get to work in Charlotte my first couple of years there, I could either drive for 10-15 minutes or take the light rail, which took about 20 minutes door to door. Even though the train option took slightly longer, I often did that so I could stretch my legs then do something else with that time.

In Raleigh, I can drive to work in 10 minutes, take a bus for an hour an a half, or walk for an hour. Biking down Falls of the Neuse is a good way to get my life cut short. There's really only one option that makes sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad