News Article: Hurricanes look to return to playoffs in 2017

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
Thanks guys. Yeah I rarely agree with the opinion section either lol, but at sports we tend to do some cool stuff. Thanks for pointing out the number thing, I could have sworn I originally had 37,000,000 so copy edit might have accidentally changed it. It's been a lot of fun getting to do the Canes stuff, we even got game credentials this year.

EDIT: Just read that staff column, holy **** that is bad, sidewalks are intended for pedestrians lol. Also, my jaw literally dropped when I read this gem "If you ride on the sidewalk, then if there is an accident, you are risking hitting people instead of cars." I would imagine people aren't too pleased this ran lol.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thanks guys. Yeah I rarely agree with the opinion section either lol, but at sports we tend to do some cool stuff. Thanks for pointing out the number thing, I could have sworn I originally had 37,000 so copy edit might have accidentally changed it. It's been a lot of fun getting to do the Canes stuff, we even got game credentials this year.l.

? U did have 37,000, but u should have had 37,000,000

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Thanks guys. Yeah I rarely agree with the opinion section either lol, but at sports we tend to do some cool stuff. Thanks for pointing out the number thing, I could have sworn I originally had 37,000 so copy edit might have accidentally changed it. It's been a lot of fun getting to do the Canes stuff, we even got game credentials this year.

EDIT: Just read that staff column, holy **** that is bad, sidewalks are intended for pedestrians lol. Also, my jaw literally dropped when I read this gem "If you ride on the sidewalk, then if there is an accident, you are risking hitting people instead of cars." I would imagine people aren't too pleased this ran lol.

I liked your piece, and I've been in the newspaper business for 17-18 years. It's a little "surface" but I'm guessing that's because you're writing to a non-specific audience. It's clean and well-constructed.

I get stuff from interns every day going to renowned journalism schools like Ball State and WKU and their copy is crap. What I just read is better than 90% of the submissions I get. Seriously. Keep it up.

Caniac125330

Jul 13, 2011
North Carolina
I liked your piece, and I've been in the newspaper business for 17-18 years. It's a little "surface" but I'm guessing that's because you're writing to a non-specific audience. It's clean and well-constructed.

I get stuff from interns every day going to renowned journalism schools like Ball State and WKU and their copy is crap. What I just read is better than 90% of the submissions I get. Seriously. Keep it up.

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it! Yeah you have to assume your audience here doesn't know a ton about hockey. Some do, but you want to draw in the casual fans. I'm hoping to do a more in depth piece on FA and trade targets closer to the draft.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Nice article, I hope you continue giving them free press :)

Thank you for redeeming some of my faith in the Technician which was shattered earlier today by staff columnist Jim Twiddy.

I mean... how... why does... :facepalm: It's not just the content of the article that is terrible, but also for reasons such as "...but if you are riding your bike for those reasons then there is no reason to ride in the street. Riding your bike for other reasons..." It felt like reading an article by Miss South Carolina.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
I ride a bike for recreation and exercise and stay off roads for the reasons he listed...mountain bike and off-road trails for me.

In my morning commute I often see a lady riding her bike...typically on a stretch of road that has two lanes going in each direction...speed limit is 45 but traffic flows much faster...there are twists and turns...distracted drivers looking down at phones....and there is a sidewalk that is, by-and-large, completely empty. She chooses to ride in the road.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I ride a bike for recreation and exercise and stay off roads for the reasons he listed...mountain bike and off-road trails for me.

In my morning commute I often see a lady riding her bike...typically on a stretch of road that has two lanes going in each direction...speed limit is 45 but traffic flows much faster...there are twists and turns...distracted drivers looking down at phones....and there is a sidewalk that is, by-and-large, completely empty. She chooses to ride in the road.

My guess is because we were taught(old guy alert) not to ride on the sidewalks as it was dangerous to pedestrians and bikes were in the same category as motor vehicles as far as the law is concerned. However, my understanding is the legality of riding on the sidewalk is controlled by local ordinances.

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
Sidewalk riding is usually illegal (and if not should be) and often considerably more dangerous due to potential conflicts at speed at driveways and intersections with turning vehicles, but that's a discussion for another thread (which I'm happy to have :)).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Sidewalk riding is usually illegal (and if not should be) and often considerably more dangerous due to potential conflicts at speed at driveways and intersections with turning vehicles, but that's a discussion for another thread (which I'm happy to have :)).

I was in Tokyo last week, most every person on a bike seemed to be on the sidewalk. Had to dodge them often while walking on the sidewalk. Not sure if that is common or was just in the area I was in.

VAcaniac

SHOOT THE PUCK
Feb 16, 2007
Los Angeles

Yes. People don't understand that drivers aren't looking for someone biking 10-15 mph down the sidewalk. I'm a cyclist myself but those people deserve to be hit. They're idiots.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
How about this? Put down your phone, put down your coffee, put down your breakfast burrito and drive your damn car. Pay attention to what's going on around you, slow down when you sense danger, respect other humans, whether you agree with their decision on where to bike, run or walk or not. Distracted driving is the issue. If you're paying attention to where you're going, you don't hit things. What this kid is arguing for is the right to text and drive and not have to worry about hitting anything when he gets a little loose in the turns.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Kev's right that distracted driving is the big issue, but unfortunately, I don't see that changing any time soon (even though it should). Next time you are at a stoplight, count how many people are coming by on the phone, texting, eating, or whatever. It's not a small %. I respect cyclists, but don't think I'd ever ride a bike on major roads around the triangle where-as I used to do it up north all the time. Too many bad drivers, too many distracted drivers, too much congestion and absolutely no room on many/most roads on the shoulder.

My buddy rides motorcycles and used to do it frequently. He commented that over the past 10 years, he is growing more and more fearful on his bike due to distracted drivers, and goes on fewer and fewer rides now days as it's less enjoyable unless he's on back roads with less traffic.

Not saying people should "live scared", but it's a problem.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
When I went to NC State I started a comedy troupe called CIA: Comedic Improvisation Alliance. We just wanted the acronym for obvious reasons. After explaining what we do and when our upcoming show was to a reporter in an interview, I eagerly awaited the Technician the next day. Not only did they report our show time incorrectly, they also called us Christians in Action but still described us as an improv comedy troupe.

I swear the Technician exclusively seeks out the most stereotypical engineers on campus who can't write worth a damn.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
When I went to NC State I started a comedy troupe called CIA: Comedic Improvisation Alliance. We just wanted the acronym for obvious reasons. After explaining what we do and when our upcoming show was to a reporter in an interview, I eagerly awaited the Technician the next day. Not only did they report our show time incorrectly, they also called us Christians in Action but still described us as an improv comedy troupe.

I swear the Technician exclusively seeks out the most stereotypical engineers on campus who can't write worth a damn.

That's actually pretty funny. :laugh:

Hockeywatching

May 9, 2015

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad