GDT: Hurricanes in Ottawa, Sunday 6pm

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Sure, let's blame it on Chabot not hustling instead of the two guys back that let it develop into a breakaway. Doesn't change that noodles made a comment about Chabot's overall play during the game, not just one play.
Noodles seems to say nice things all the time; Pounder, Johnston and Coliacovo seem to call it like it really is.

We are not at the same level as some of these teams
That's the truth. Dorion screwed up the roster and prospects while Smith screwed up the players we have by not teaching them how to play a complete game and holding them accountable.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

maybe-maybe-not-ae55fa636b.jpg

I just don't understand why Staios said that. Is he as stupid as Dorion? Time will tell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Noodles seems to say nice things all the time; Pounder, Johnston and Coliacovo seem to call it like it really is.
Chabot shouldn't have chased the puck behind the net imo, and should have been back defensively on that play, no doubt, but we had numbers back, there is no excuse for that play turning into a breakaway, Giroux was awful letting Orlov absolutely walk by him. Zub pinching after Giroux's gaff was equally inexcusable he absolutely needed to recognize he was last man back at that point. I'm sure if Chabot knew both would blow the situation so badly he'd have hustled after Orlov from the get go but he's likely thinking we're in good shape until it's too late.

Chabot was having a good game, thats all noodles was saying, having a good game doesn't mean you play every situation perfectly,

Reactions: Emrasie

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I enjoy winning

We've got a franchise legend on the bench speaking publicly about the issues facing the team.

It's been 40+ games

A guy with a letter isn't going hard. It just shouldn't be acceptable. And guaranteed the guys upstairs notice

Noodles has to fill some air time and he always accentuates the positive
Noodles is losing credibility while Pounder, Johnson and Coloiacovo gain it.

Chabot shouldn't have chased the puck behind the net imo, and should have been back defensively on that play, no doubt, but we had numbers back, there is no excuse for that play turning into a breakaway, Giroux was awful letting Orlov absolutely walk by him. Zub pinching after Giroux's gaff was equally inexcusable he absolutely needed to recognize he was last man back at that point. I'm sure if Chabot knew both would blow the situation so badly he'd have hustled after Orlov from the get go but he's likely thinking we're in good shape until it's too late.

Chabot was having a good game, thats all noodles was saying, having a good game doesn't mean you play every situation perfectly,
I agree with your take. Chabot should not have been so venturesome and then lazy. Giroux should have been more aware and showed more hustle. TWO mistakes ended up in a GA.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I agree with your take. Chabot should not have been so venturesome and then lazy. Giroux should have been more aware and showed more hustle. TWO mistakes ended up in a GA.
They’re not going to dive in front of every puck. No team blocks every shot.

Has Carolina not made it easy? They left tkatchuk in front of the net with a WIDE OPEN NET. WIDE OPEN. That wasn’t part of their game plan.

What about that last chance for brannstrom they left him all alone. The breakaway?

Other teams have defensive breakdowns as well. And usually teams trade chances and that’s life that’s the NHL.

But with our goalies games are 7-2 usually.
Not 2-7 usually; however, we definitely lose more than we win. Several reasons for that.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You're forgetting about Zub, Giroux was beat long before he decided to pinch in the NZ opening up the breakaway pass, he can't make that play, if he stays back defensively it takes away the breakaway, and gives Giroux and/or Chabot a chance to catch up since Orlov can't enter the zone before the play,

Chabot made the first mistake, but imo the least of the three.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Brannstrom and Chabot were both +1 in a 7-2 loss.

Ostapchuk Kelly Kastelic and Tkachuk were even
Zub was absolutely absymal, and Chychrun wasn't much better.

Chychrun has zero points in his last five games, and I believe only two points in his last 15. Despite the fact that we won three games in that stretch, he is also a minus three in his last five. This guy gets a metric ton of prime ice and opportunities, yet has dried right up in the second half of the season right when we needed him most.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Anyone that has ever played hockey knows that horrible sinking feeling of the goalie not being good enough. Nothing you or your team does will matter. The first muffin shot from any angle is probably going to go in. It just sucks all the joy out of the game. Guys on the other team start to feel bad for you. Lol.
And then it's awkward because everyone in the room wants to complain about how bad the goalie is but everyone is too polite to tell the truth.
This is where the Senators find themselves most nights this year. It's just a crappy feeling.

Obviously this is much more competitive, but it's not necessarily the case.

Back in the day, we had two teams from our area. The way they split is that they made our team much stronger, but with a rookie goalie. Never played hockey as a kid. The other team had a much worse roster but had a really talented goalie.

We had no problem winning tournaments and games 6-4 or whatever.

Yeah, we knew our goalie would let in like 3-5 goals on 10 shots, but we also knew we could dominate the play and get 2-3 times the shots the other team did.

Being out of town in some hotel and seeing your goalie let in 3 goals on 4 shots in the semis didn't stop us from playing balls to the wall and coming back to win that game to go the finals.

I think plenty of talented players and teams know they have to excel in certain areas to make up for their weaknesses.

I remember our goalie didn't show up one game and we had to play 6 on 5 the whole game. We won. We just made sure to limit them to about 5 shots and that we could probably score 6 or more being on a "powerplay" all game.

You just gotta adjust.

Obviously they would rather cave it in.

Reactions: Cosmix

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I cannot imagine these NHL-caliber players going out there every game having that sinking feeling that either of the goaltenders is going to sabotage their team's win....heck, my 16yr old son goes on a rant in the car about their goaltender always mucking up their game win. Imagine an NHLer feeling that game in and game out. We have a really serious problem.

At least NHL teams can go out and buy a goaltender lol can't do that in minor hockey.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Oddly Bruce said as well that they won’t buy out Korpisalo and suggested the subtraction would be Forsberg.
I doubt that Bruce would say that in a definitive manner if he had not already spoken with Staios or Andlauer. That he said it is a concern as neither of our goaltenders has played well enough to earn another contract. Both seem untradeable.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Only reasonable explanation for me is he wants to trade them and is talking them up
When did he say that? is that a recent clip or an old one revived...

I don't think he want's to throw the goalies under the bus by calling their play out, that's never going to help even if goaltending has been the issue. That said, idk how you can praise the goaltending with the results we've had, best just not to talk about it...

1710777768724.jpeg

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You ever played hockey?

We played juvy with most of the team being A and AA competitive players 1 year removed. It's not the NHL, no, but it was good hockey.

We had the stacked team, but they gave us an 18 year old goalie who never played hockey...while our team was made up of players who have played hockey 5 times a week for the past 12 years.

We didn't think it was hopeless that our goalie probably had a .700sv %. We just made sure to dominate out there and allow minimal shots and only from the perimeter.

I'm not saying our goaltending is good. It's awful. It's our weakest link. But the idea the team cant step up their game because they have weak goaltending is bonkers. It should motivate them that much more to play a solid defensive game knowing their goaltending sucks.

Having good goaltending gives you confidence to take chances offensively...but usually having bad goaltending makes you take less chances...why are we still giving up so many chances?

It's like those teams where they have a goalie playing their first NHL game. Good teams will limit the other teams chances knowing their goaltending might be weak.

We give the other team ample slot chances and all these odd man rushes.

It's fine to do that when you have confidence in your goalie to trade chances. We don't, so we shouldn't be trading chances...yet every game we use this strategy.

Why not act like you have an AHL backup in nets and try to limit the other team to under 25 perimeter shots like we see good defensive teams do.

Other teams get a lead and shut us down. Yet we can't shut other teams down with our play....when it's needed that much more because of weak goaltending. We don't know how to bear down and minimize shots or chances against. We play shinny and try to Deke the other team out breaking out at our Blueline.

Reactions: LiseL and Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
More than just a goaltender! We need a top 6 center who can maintain puck possession, setup other players for shots, etc. We need to get lucky in the draft lottery to get Celebrini or Levshunov.
not a serious comment ... I do appreciate your random NHL Draft recommendations

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The rest of the season is just a countdown to the draft and summer changes. Probably better off not getting any wins at this point.

Get a completely new coaching staff, switch out at least one of the goalies, and see what happens.

Hopefully our amateur (and pro) scouts start prioritizing hockey IQ.
We need new scouts!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I want an interview from him. Don't care if Bruce does it. I want to hear his dumb voice lie about how dumb he is. He does't deserve to just slink away into the shadows.
I don't want to hear him speak nor talk about him ever again. Glad he is gone.

not a serious comment ... I do appreciate your random NHL Draft recommendations
I have a problem. Should see a shrink. :)

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Forsberg has been better than korpisalo though. Look at their records. Both playing for the same team.
Forsberg actually has a winning record. Korpi is far from it.
A winning record is a team record; not a good assessment of the goaltenders.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just don't understand why Staios said that. Is he as stupid as Dorion? Time will tell.

What did he say? That Korpisalo could be a good goaltender? Well, it might be true but even if he doesn't believe that, he's not going to throw his player under the bus in front of the medias.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What did he say? That Korpisalo could be a good goaltender? Well, it might be true but even if he doesn't believe that, he's not going to throw his player under the bus in front of the medias.
He did not have to say what he said, which came across as not being consistent with the performance we are seeing.

He could have said that the team is not playing well and not as well as expected. He could have then indicated that changes will have to be made to improve team performance. That would be truthful without throwing a single player under the bus for poor performance, nor lying about the goaltenders' performance, which is poor statistically.

Reactions: Emrasie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad