GDT: Hurricanes in Ottawa, Sunday 6pm

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He did not have to say what he said, which came across as not being consistent with the performance we are seeing.

He could have said that the team is not playing well and not as well as expected. He could have then indicated that changes will have to be made to improve team performance. That would be truthful without throwing a single player under the bus for poor performance, nor lying about the goaltenders' performance, which is poor statistically.

He's not lying or anything, he's just not saying anything through medias as it's never a good idea.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
When I see my goalie struggling I am more vigilant defensively.

Maybe you just give up.

In that you would have something in common with this team.
When I was kid and played, nothing at all serious let's get that out of the way before people yell at me, our goalie was nicknamed Bacon because he flopped around like frying bacon. Half way through 1 season he lost it on the whole team. "Fack you guys! I hate that facking name! If 1 of ya new how to skate maybe I wouldn't be all over the place. Useless assholes!" That was just the begining. Everybody got some. That team was dreadful. Good times. Lol

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's not lying or anything, he's just not saying anything through medias as it's never a good idea.
He said in the video clip "We have good goaltending". The statistics say otherwise, so his statement is false.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Maybe you just give up.

Bobby Ryan was asked how players feel playing in front of the kind of goaltending we've been getting,

"It's so frustrating, everything has a chance to go in, the other teams must be salivating before the game, which one are we getting"

A bad goal in a game is one thing, bad goals in every game though, that's another matter.

IF teams could just be more vigilant defensively, they would do it all the time. They can't, at least not consistently, that's just not how humans work, and with our goaltending, you'd have to do it all the time.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He said in the video clip "We have good goaltending". The statistics say otherwise, so his statement is false.

But that's the point, he can't say "we have shitty goaltending and we think that we could be really close to be a playoffs team if we had average goaltending"

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
But that's the point, he can't say "we have shitty goaltending and we think that we could be really close to be a playoffs team if we had average goaltending"

I agree that he should not say that we have poor goaltending and blame our position in the standings on the goaltenders. I suggested a more general response if someone was asking about goaltending.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

Maybe you just give up.

Pft. What nonsense.
You say something like that and it really does make me question if you ever played.
Everyone starts with pure optimism, “I’ll play more defensively, we’ll all tighten up” then the goals just keep coming, costing you so many games, so much emotional energy - at some point you all just know. This guy f***ing sucks and no matter what we do it’s not going to fix the hole in his glove or his inability to challenge shooters etc.

Then do that for 82 f***ing games at the highest level where other teams also know it and can’t wait to take your goalie to the woodshed.
They get 2 inches taller every night with every different team rolling in while you have the same f***ing guy getting eaten alive.

They are good teammates so will never say it out loud but every single f***ing guy in that room knows what’s up.
It’s maybe the most demoralizing thing that can happen to a hockey team.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
He should have said.

"In the summer I knew I was going to be POHO. The final details of the sale where dragging out. Honest to God how many times does the same "t" need to be crossed, the same "i" dotted? What a screw job. In the summer I watched the "board", bunch of dickheads, approve this insane contract for a pilon. I coundn't stop it. It was such a helpless feeling, knowing that soon I would be able to stop this kind of madness, but soon was too far away. On top of it all this BooBoo guy keeps texting me, asking if we can be bffs. So ya. We got good goalers."

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

Maybe you just give up.

I think we all try hard to cover for them, but it's different.

You're doing it because their play is affecting you mentally and it's from knowing that any shot is capable of going in.

Of course you try harder to prevent goals, but it's out of fear of being scored on, not some duty to make the guy look better.

And all that affects ability to generate offense, which can compound the problem.

It's a novel concept you've laid out, but not really realistic as presented imo.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

Maybe you just give up.

Might have to re-brand you. Call you Agent Fib.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Pft. What nonsense.
You say something like that and it really does make me question if you ever played.
Everyone starts with pure optimism, “I’ll play more defensively, we’ll all tighten up” then the goals just keep coming, costing you so many games, so much emotional energy - at some point you all just know. This guy f***ing sucks and no matter what we do it’s not going to fix the hole in his glove or his inability to challenge shooters etc.

Then do that for 82 f***ing games at the highest level where other teams also know it and can’t wait to take your goalie to the woodshed.
They get 2 inches taller every night with every different team rolling in while you have the same f***ing guy getting eaten alive.

They are good teammates so will never say it out loud but every single f***ing guy in that room knows what’s up.
It’s maybe the most demoralizing thing that can happen to a hockey team.

Obviously it is demoralising.

But part of the issue is that the team doesn't try harder. They are not that good defensively and they give up. Is it not demoralizing for a goalie to play in front of that?

Team destroyed the goalies confidence and the goalies destroyed the teams confidence. And now we're stuck in an endless loop.

But bad goalies is the easy scapegoat for a team that still doesn't know how to play defensively and is mentally soft.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

But part of the issue is that the team doesn't try harder. They are not that good defensively and they give up. Is it not demoralizing for a goalie to play in front of that?

Team destroyed the goalies confidence and the goalies destroyed the teams confidence. And now we're stuck in an endless loop.

But bad goalies is the easy scapegoat for a team that still doesn't know how to play defensively and is mentally soft.

Nope. Disagree.
This is almost entirely goalies.
Not saying the F and D don’t have issues but that’s what they are right now, an average team still growing being regularly submarined by historically bad goaltending.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think you have this exactly backwards. The goalies have destroyed the teams confidence,

This team isn't uniquely bad defensively. You can look at all the stats, you can watch the games, it's pretty clear that defensively this team is what you'd expect of a bubble team. It's not even the worst defensive group the Sens have had in recent memory, not under DJ, Not the worse than the bad years under MacLean, Not even when they stopped listening to Boucher.

Watch teams like Chicago, SJ, Anaheim Columbus and Mtl, those teams are bleeding high quality chances at a crazy rate yet all get substantially better goaltending than us. .

Reactions: Wondercarrot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Goaltending has been horrendus this yr, maybe the worse ever.

Check this clip out at 36:36

Reactions: Cosmix

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
I cannot imagine these NHL-caliber players going out there every game having that sinking feeling that either of the goaltenders is going to sabotage their team's win....heck, my 16yr old son goes on a rant in the car about their goaltender always mucking up their game win. Imagine an NHLer feeling that game in and game out. We have a really serious problem.
What a terrible attitude

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When I was kid and played, nothing at all serious let's get that out of the way before people yell at me, our goalie was nicknamed Bacon because he flopped around like frying bacon. Half way through 1 season he lost it on the whole team. "Fack you guys! I hate that facking name! If 1 of ya new how to skate maybe I wouldn't be all over the place. Useless assholes!" That was just the begining. Everybody got some. That team was dreadful. Good times. Lol

We had a goalie that thought they were Bobby Orr, and would routinely take the puck (or go for the puck) and skate right up to center ice a few times per game. Annoying as hell, but we all did everything we could to cover for him anyways. Bad goalies definitely have an effect on a team, but that's life, and you've got to work through it.

All that said, how does a goalie coach manage to make Korpisalo "look bigger"? Dude is the smallest over 6-foot goalie in nets I've ever seen.

Reactions: Loach

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
We had a goalie that thought they were Bobby Orr, and would routinely take the puck (or go for the puck) and skate right up to center ice a few times per game. Annoying as hell, but we all did everything we could to cover for him anyways. Bad goalies definitely have an effect on a team, but that's life, and you've got to work through it.

All that said, how does a goalie coach manage to make Korpisalo "look bigger"? Dude is the smallest over 6-foot goalie in nets I've ever seen.

I remember there was a time when goalies like Gump Worsley, when there was a minute left and they were pulling the goalie, the goalie would skate the puck leading the rush up to centre ice and then pass it and get off. Seems weird now, but it seemed it was a thing for a while.

Hopefully getting bigger in the net is a coachable thing.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I remember there was a time when goalies like Gump Worsley, when there was a minute left and they were pulling the goalie, the goalie would skate the puck leading the rush up to centre ice and then pass it and get off. Seems weird now, but it seemed it was a thing for a while.

Hopefully getting bigger in the net is a coachable thing.

Playing "bigger" for a goalie basically comes down to playing style and confidence. Korpisalo moves a lot in his net which makes him prone to being out of position and not sealing his net properly so by default he looks smaller. His best asset is his athleticism so he won't necessarily look big in net. He moves too much. It's like comparing Jonathan Quick to Carey Price. Price was calm and collected in net, taking away the angles from shooters. Quick on the other hand was slip and sliding from one side to the other, making huge saves but not necessarily looking big in net. This is true for the majority of goalies if you compare butterfly to hybrid. When mastered, butterfly goalies look a lot more confident in net and make things look easy.

When things go well for Korpisalo he's making huge saves and letting in a softy here and there. That's kind of been his thing, even Matt Murray was similar in that regard. When he's not confident he doesn't necessarily have that strong foundation to lean on so he can look from outstanding to horrendous from one game to another. Some goalies also play deep in their nets when they lose confidence, they lose that confidence to challenge shooters aggressively. He's also dropping on his knees too early which is a sign of low confidence.

Korpisalo needs to string strong games together and he'll look much better than right now. He won't start looking bigger besides the confidence aspect IMO. He relies a lot on his instincts.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Playing "bigger" for a goalie basically comes down to playing style and confidence. Korpisalo moves a lot in his net which makes him prone to being out of position and not sealing his net properly so by default he looks smaller. His best asset is his athleticism so he won't necessarily look big in net. He moves too much. It's like comparing Jonathan Quick to Carey Price. Price was calm and collected in net, taking away the angles from shooters. Quick on the other hand was slip and sliding from one side to the other, making huge saves but not necessarily looking big in net. This is true for the majority of goalies if you compare butterfly to hybrid. When mastered, butterfly goalies look a lot more confident in net and make things look easy.

When things go well for Korpisalo he's making huge saves and letting in a softy here and there. That's kind of been his thing, even Matt Murray was similar in that regard. When he's not confident he doesn't necessarily have that strong foundation to lean on so he can look from outstanding to horrendous from one game to another. Some goalies also play deep in their nets when they lose confidence, they lose that confidence to challenge shooters aggressively. He's also dropping on his knees too early which is a sign of low confidence.

Korpisalo needs to string strong games together and he'll look much better than right now. He won't start looking bigger besides the confidence aspect IMO. He relies a lot on his instincts.

Playing "bigger" means covering more of the net that the opponent with the puck can view from his location. That can be substantially achieved by playing farther out from the goal line and blue paint crease area. When doing that the D and F must come back and take a man, not stand in the slot and watch the puck carrier. If the D and F do not take a man, then the G has to play farther back nearer to the goal line due to the scoring threat from an opponent on one side or the other of the net.

Our goaltenders also have a problem with their technique. They seem to have weaknesses covering the net area and leave openings where the puck gets by them. Our goaltending coaches should be addressing those weaknesses, plus the "playing bigger" strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad