Pre-Game Talk: Hurricanes @ Flyers; Team Cam or Dan?

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Might as well until the GDT is up.

Canes are 3-3-0 obvs, and the Flyers are 2-6-0 and frankly just terrible.

Luke DeCock calls tonight the start of the "six most important games" of the season for the Canes... and Jay Harrison blew my ****ing mind way too early on a Saturday.

Quote Harry:

“The fact of the matter is it’s six games, on the road, in a row,†Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison said. “But it’s six single-game segments: one forty-eighth of your season, one twenty-fourth of your road schedule. That’s how you play it. That’s how you have to play it. You take your global perspectives afterward, retrospectively. Going into the road trip, it’s not productive and it’s not effective to do that.â€

The Flyers won 3 of 4 from us last year when they were less bad, but roll into this game on a 3 game skid.

Canes are "hot" right now, EStaal is "hot" right now, and we're healthy.

Simmonds might be out for the Flyers with "a head injury and a little bit of whiplash," according to Paul Holmgren. No Scott Hartnell and no Meszaros either.

Also: Who's going to start in net for the Canes? HF's Team Cam or Team Dan? Or will Muller split the difference and start Cam Ward in Dan's Reebok gear and "Old Man and the Sea" mask?

Now excuse me while I go take my global perspectives retrospectively at the Farmers Market Restaurant for an entirely unhealthy breakfast.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This road trip is going to define us. Have to win this game especially with Philadelphia struggling.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Seriously though, this is probably the biggest stretch of the season. If the Canes can keep play at .500 or above for this trip I like our chances going forward.

@Flyers (2-6-0, 15th east)
@Leafs (4-3-0, 7th east)
@Sens (5-2-1, 4th east)
@Flyers again
@Isles (4-2-1, 5th east)
@Devils (3-0-3, 3rd east)

tough sledding, but take 3 of those 6 and possibly even steal another one (or at least get a loser point somewhere) and we're solid. Winning 3 of our last 4, back to back vs a previously undefeated Buffalo and at home vs Ottawa, I think things are starting to gel a bit. Easily could have had that Boston game that was the lone L there too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Flyer fans seem to believe Lavi is done if Canes win tonight.

As much as I like Lavi, wouldn't be a surprise. He's the kind of guy that loses a room in about 3 years in any given job, much like Torts or Mike Keenan. All 3 very successful coaches (well minus Keenan's last few years), but all typically had a very short shelf life.

OntarioFisherman*

Ward starting: 3-5 loss
Ellis starting: 3-1 win

AhoLottaLove

Jun 30, 2010
No telling. Kirk did say he'd ask Ellis how he felt today after his performance last night so if Ellis said he's good to go they'll probably roll the dice with the hot hand.

Then it's official: we have a battle for the starting job.

If you play your "backup" for both games of a double-header then he's not a backup anymore.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I believe Peters was coming off a shutout last year and Muller didn't play him the next game, correct?

I do believe you're correct, this is a battle for the starting job.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I believe Peters was coming off a shutout last year and Muller didn't play him the next game, correct?

I do believe you're correct, this is a battle for the starting job.

There's also a world of difference between a guy that's 25 and hasn't proven anything in the NHL before, and a guy that's 32 and has proven to be a capable goalie before. Kirk already had said this year that Ellis would probably get between 15 and 20 games this year due to the schedule, the guy is an NHL goalie. Peters, regardless of if he posted a shutout or not in any game, is the definition of a tweener.

If Ellis gets the start on Monday as well, THEN we have the #1 goalie battle. Until then this is just riding the hot hand.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If Ellis gets the start on Monday as well, THEN we have the #1 goalie battle. Until then this is just riding the hot hand.

Whatever it is at that point, I would be willing to bet that we will see a fine - if not spectacular - performance in Ward's first start afterward.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
There's also a world of difference between a guy that's 25 and hasn't proven anything in the NHL before, and a guy that's 32 and has proven to be a capable goalie before. Kirk already had said this year that Ellis would probably get between 15 and 20 games this year due to the schedule, the guy is an NHL goalie. Peters, regardless of if he posted a shutout or not in any game, is the definition of a tweener.

you are correct sir! and i'm watching the pens game and this boychuk kid is playing well, all over the ice creating some scoring chances threw a couple of hits-i see big things for this kid! too bad he could'nt cut it with the canes!

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
appears to me he has been given the green light to be creative and show his skills or he may be realizing this is his last best chance and he is laying it all out there--wither way he has looked pretty dang good

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
MSmithCanes:

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes
Dan Ellis leads the NHL in goals-against average (0.75) and save percentage (.977).

It could be he's simply trolling this board with his small sample size, at the same time hoping to generate as many "hot hand" references as he can in our local media.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I think you ride Ellis til he plays an average or below average game. In this shortened season, wins are at a premium. Other posters have said "well you're not going far in the playoffs with Ellis, it has to be Ward." I can't disagree with this enough.

There are plenty of perceived "average" goaltenders that have gone deep in the playoffs, and even won the Cup.

snakepliskin

Jan 27, 2005
Wilmington NC
MSmithCanes:

It could be he's simply trolling this board with his small sample size, at the same time hoping to generate as many "hot hand" references as he can in our local media.

i say trade ellis for the best d-man available while he is semi-hot-his value will never be higher!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad