GDT: Hurricanes @ Flames - Seriously, What the ****

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
It seems pretty much every player on the team is lacking in confidence with the puck right now, not hugely surprising given the struggles but I don't think it's an intentional decision. I think players who skate in and have a chance off the rush aren't confident in their abilities to pull it off and make the safe play by just establishing the zone and maintaining the possession. Svech has been king of confidence on those types of players throughout his career but it's painfully obvious that he doesn't have it right now -- of course he's coming off a significant injury and needs time to really get back up to speed and feel confident in his knee holding up, but that is a big factor in our recent struggles I'd say. Other guys are just snake-bitten and it seems like it's all at the same time which is just bad luck/timing.
Yep, the last several games I keep seeing guys coming down the wings with a step or half step on the d-man and they just pull up instead of putting their shoulder down and driving the net to try and make a play or maybe draw a call.

Now, granted not all of them are that big but you shouldn't need a lot of size if you've got the positioning.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Is it time to bench one of the big boys to shake/wake the team up. I'm talking Necas, Martinook, even Svech or a Pesce or Skjei. Just for one game.
Just one of those players sit a game for Rod to show the rest of the team, you play within his system or you don't play.

For to me it seems Necas is playing too much "See what I can do with the puck". "oops there goes another turnover". Martinook, playing an up and down game, but seems to be chasing his tail. Svech, needing to get his shot off more and quit worrying about setting everyone else up.

Pesce and Skjei, too worried about next years contract, instead of showing what they should be worth.

Just my opinion mind you, but if not this then a Trade which will it be?

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
I don't know who I start.

Part of me says kochetkov and let him either make a save or get shredded so management sees he's not the guy. And keep putting him in until he's replaced by the fo.

Or put raanta in and give him the chance to become a hero.

Honestly I have zero confidence in any of our goalies and cringe every time a shot is taken.

At some point having the worst save percentage in the league has to be blamed on goaltending.

At some point you have to take a chance on perets and pray for a miracle

Reactions: chaz4hockey

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I don't know who I start.

Part of me says kochetkov and let him either make a save or get shredded so management sees he's not the guy. And keep putting him in until he's replaced by the fo.

Or put raanta in and give him the chance to become a hero.

Honestly I have zero confidence in any of our goalies and cringe every time a shot is taken.

At some point having the worst save percentage in the league has to be blamed on goaltending.

At some point you have to take a chance on perets and pray for a miracle
I don't think Koochie's performance this year will result in a determination that he's "not the guy," no matter how bad it may get. Take a peak at Sergei Bobrovsky's first couple NHL seasons and see if you notice any similarities to Koochie... Absolutely not saying I think he'll explode and become a Bobrovsky, that's highly unlikely. But we have him on a reasonable contract for another 3 years after this one. The team wasn't planning on him to be an NHL regular this year nor expecting it from him. We knew Freddie and Raanta's health situations could've resulted in some starts for him but nobody expected Freddie's career to basically end a quarter of the way through the season and propel PK to 1/2 of the tandem. Would be stupid to give up on him after 1 down year when we weren't even expecting him to be even the 2nd guy.

There is still plenty of time for our goalies to turn things around this season. Goaltending is voodoo and a team's fortunes in net can change in an instant, either way, no matter who they have in net or how good/bad they are believed to be. Vasilevskiy is about as good as you can possibly get in terms of consistency and he still had a horrible playoffs last year and is sub .900 this year. Bobrovsky was god awful with Florida until he propelled them to the Cup finals last year. Overreacting to a small sample size would not be the right move. I'm not against trying Perets or someone else and seeing what happens but there's a damn good chance it looks a lot like LaFontaine... Best to stick the course, especially being we're solidly in a playoff spot despite all the issues, which all seem pretty likely to get better over the course of the season.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Dustin Wolf starting for Calgary…incoming 50 save shutout
d1884d10-4480-4c23-a607-1d0c0ee7a328_text.gif

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
My give-a-shit-ometer is about as full as the team's was the first 40 seconds of last night's game. Need them to pull their heads out of their asses for a bit before I invest much more of my time or attention...they're just not fun to watch this year most games so far, even half the wins have been 10min of good hockey that saved 50 min of floundering. I'm still not terribly worried about making the playoffs yet, but if I want to see good hockey, plenty of other games to watch right now

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Maybe missing the playoffs is exactly the kick in the ass this franchise needs. Rod and Don are way too comfortable rolling out the same flawed team and expecting different results.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Let’s shake the lines up a bit:

Bunting-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Necas
Noesen-Turbo-Fast
Martinook-Staal-Drury

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
defense is the same.

Lemieux may get in tonight. Rod non committal. Sounds like he would pull a center to put Lemieux in but we don’t have another

Reactions: Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad