GDT: Hurricanes @ Flames - Seriously, What the ****

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So after (unsurprisingly) getting blown out by the Oilers (on National TV? NO WAY), the Canes have the opportunity to put it behind them by facing Calgary tonight. Will they do that? Probably not. It’ll probably be another situation like the one against the Jets, where we play much better defensively, but can’t score worth a damn and our goaltending will once again let us down. #CauseChaos

Speaking of goaltending, who the hell do you start this game? Raanta was lined up for the starter for this one, but he wound up playing most of last game. Do you give PK another chance behind a (hopefully) better effort from the team in front of him? Can either of them be trusted, with both likely knowing that the team is likely actively looking for one (or both) of their replacements?

Also, anytime a certain player wants to start contributing positively again, now would probably be the ideal time to do so. I had a certain player in mind when writing that sentence, but I quickly realized it applied to far too many players on this team. Probably not a good sign.

Um…Go Canes? Salvage this road trip somehow?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Mood: frustrated still trying to figure out the new GIF rules.
Download the animated gif to your computer and upload it to the post from there.

Or are there some actual new rule rules?

Reactions: ndp

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Download the animated gif to your computer and upload it to the post from there.

Or are there some actual new rule rules?
I'm of the era where "download the file from this random internet page to your computer" elicits a "hell no."

Especially if I happen to be posting on a work PC.

Reactions: ndp and Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm of the era where "download the file from this random internet page to your computer" elicits a "hell no."

Especially if I happen to be posting on a work PC.
Technic'ly your browser does download the file from random internet page to be able to show it to you in another browser window, but I see your point. It's good to see the old ways being observed, even if there isn't much science behind it.

Reactions: geehaad and Chrispy

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Another thing that I've seen lately that I think is really hurting our offensive output is the lack of chances off the rush.

I'm not sure if this was a concentrated decision by the team to combat "Miss wide, rush going the other way" situations, but it seems every rush lately has basically amounted to "Rush into the zone, pull up, try to pass across one or two defenders' sticks to the other winger or pull up, hit the late trailing defensemen, who either blasts a shot 3ft off target or pulls up abd passes it to the opposite winger."

It's become predictable and it allows the defending team to set up in the zone before we even consider taking a shot. Which shouldn't happen every single rush up the ice.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Another thing that I've seen lately that I think is really hurting our offensive output is the lack of chances off the rush.

I'm not sure if this was a concentrated decision by the team to combat "Miss wide, rush going the other way" situations, but it seems every rush lately has basically amounted to "Rush into the zone, pull up, try to pass across one or two defenders' sticks to the other winger or pull up, hit the late trailing defensemen, who either blasts a shot 3ft off target or pulls up abd passes it to the opposite winger."

It's become predictable and it allows the defending team to set up in the zone before we even consider taking a shot. Which shouldn't happen every single rush up the ice.
It seems pretty much every player on the team is lacking in confidence with the puck right now, not hugely surprising given the struggles but I don't think it's an intentional decision. I think players who skate in and have a chance off the rush aren't confident in their abilities to pull it off and make the safe play by just establishing the zone and maintaining the possession. Svech has been king of confidence on those types of players throughout his career but it's painfully obvious that he doesn't have it right now -- of course he's coming off a significant injury and needs time to really get back up to speed and feel confident in his knee holding up, but that is a big factor in our recent struggles I'd say. Other guys are just snake-bitten and it seems like it's all at the same time which is just bad luck/timing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad