GDT: Hurricanes @ Flames - Seriously, What the ****

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
This team hates giving any of their prospects a chance they love to draft 15 a year and then never give them a chance instead ride with martinook who has zero goals and brick hands. We spent around 10 mill on staal bunting and fast and another 7 on orlov i think they could of used that money differently
When a prospect earns it they will get a chance. We draft guys for top 6 roles, we don’t draft many bottom 6 guys. Who’s spot is rees or suzuki taking? Have they earned it? What other prospect is ready to jump in?

Bunting and orlov were 2 of the 3 best FAs this year. Trades were almost non existent this season.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Kooch isn't helping, but you are right that the team in front of him isn't good enough. Our inability to do anything consistently on offense is absolutely killing us right now arguably moreso than the bad goals given up.
I think they are playing too offensive because they feel like they need to make up for Kochetkov. Which leads to blown coverage and breakaways, and goals.

While I think Kochetkov has a future in the NHL at least as a backup, they need someone else this season in goal.

Would a forward be nice? Yeah, but I think that need is secondary. Raanta can’t play a starters load and Kochetkov is inconsistent at best.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
Kochetkov is starting to give me Darling vibes with how he unravels so quickly.

Something with this team needs to change, Rod is too stubborn to change his coaching, or pull guys out of the lineup.

It’s hard to find a partner for a shake up trades during the season. I don’t think there are goalies available to stop the bleeding.

Honestly don’t know what the answer is, and I’m afraid the front office doesn’t too

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Gg guys. Brady skjei my hero gets an assist so I’m happy

Edit: lol nvm he did but it was called back… mixed up. Either way he was jobbed of 4 pts minimum.

Reactions: geehaad

User13452

Jan 7, 2022
not enough guys pulling their weight like Rod said in the post game interview. Love what Noesen said too some guys aren’t buying in. Well whoever that is needs to be benched a game or shipped out enough is enough most of these guys have been here long enough they should know what’s expected

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Kotchetkov is just a young goalie going through the growing pains of a young goalie. He was great in the game until the 2nd goal. And even that goal wasn’t too bad. It was a breakaway that squeezed through his pads. Happens to literally every goalie, regardless of veteran status.

The third goal was where his youth showed. Despite the move by Coleman, that’s a goal you’ve GOT to have. Because that goal erases all the good he did in the game up to that point (and there was a lot of it).

But regardless, I don’t come out of this game saying goaltending is the issue. Our Top 6 was the issue, yet again. I don’t know whats going on with Aho, but he needs to wake the f*** up. KK has gone full hibernation mode and TT has great defensive plays and nothing offensively generated. And Necas is Necas at this point.

We can’t win games if our top 6 is absent and we have to rely on Staal, Drury and Lemeiux to pick up the slack.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
The team in front of him has to play a lot better. They carried a 40 year old zamboni driver to a win. Having to help a backup out is not too much to ask. This is not on Kochetkov.
It’s on everybody. That second goal can’t squeeze through Kochetkov but the team can’t have that turnover and line change in front of him. The first goal wasn’t that bad for him but he made the terrible icing play that led to it.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We got lucky on our first two goals. Then we basically mailed it in.

Calgary owned the scoring chances and HD advantages throughout the night in 5v5 and all situations.

PK kept us in the game until he didn’t.

It’s crazy how one bad puck luck goal (the first one) turns this team into mush. We have generally lacked the ability to generate motivation for some time but it’s very apparent this season.

Plenty of time to still get their crap together.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Goaltending is what it is, but we’ve scored 1, 1, and 2 goals during the 3 game losing streak. I’m more concerned on that front.

Of the many things Tripp said last night, one I really agreed with. Guys just aren’t making plays in the ozone. Rod’s always said “well, the system is the system, but once we establish possession in the ozone we do want our guys to be creative offensively.” This year, and especially the last ~5-7 games, it’s seemed like every line is just trying to play like the Staal line. No creativity, no drive, no actual offensive plays being made. I’m not exactly sure why the change, I’m hopeful it’s just a funk (and there’s no reason it couldn’t be, it’s an improved group of forwards from last year), but it’s something I’d rather they figure out sooner than later.

Also, the vibes are off. Rod doesn’t seem like the motivating, culture-driving Rod right now. He seems like he’s as bewildered as us. Which is understandable but also probably doesn’t help accelerate the team out of the funk.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Look, we have the worst SV% in the league and Aho is the only one even sniffing the top 50 in the league. We have TWO players in the top 100. TWO. (aho jarvis)

LMFAO. The f*** we expect?

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
And we aren’t even playing TDA the god of the defense.

We are bound to lose every game for the rest of the season

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
This season is spiraling out of control

Oh and a shorty was giving up? Yell make a save all you want but ffs that's like 10 given up on the year. HIRE A f***ING PP COACH!!

Last edited:

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I didn’t stay up for this one but based on the highlights it’s wild how fast this collapse happened. I agree with those who have said there’s almost certainly going to have to be some kind of trade, I do worry they will either a) panic and get really poor value in a trade or b) be so worried about getting value in the trade that the one they pull off isn’t really that helpful

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
RBA has admitted that he's not "an X's and O's" kind of guy/coach...and that's become painfully apparent. Honestly this team was the most fun when it was the underdog, overperforming, playing better than the sum of their parts...we were a grinding team. Now that we have more and more skilled players each year, we're still trying to play that grinding team role, and it's killing us. We are playing far worse than the sum of our parts...this should be the best team we've had, but they're playing the absolute worst. There's a reason that the MSF like seems to really get great possession and wear the other team down, but they're such a black hole offensively it ends up getting completely wasted. The rest of the lines have more skill, but are still trying to play that grinding game and they're just wearing themselves out to lose every physical or board battle or turning it over because everyone's dicking around in the perimeter and nobody is getting to the open ice. Besides needing a PP coach, and a goalie psychologist, maybe it's time we brought in an "X's and O's guy" to help RBA out. Also, to get the players we NEED, we may have to be willing to overpay a bit...there have been a number of trades the past few years that seemed like overpays, but ultimately seem to be working out for teams (of course plenty have also NOT worked out, but that happens with any trade/contract)

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
Last night, RBA said they are fragile. I have always thought they score low on the killer instinct/ruthless determination scale and could use a player or two with that mentality especially now that things are bumpy. I think back to the “we didn’t get swept” comments when in reality yes they did. I think he should have simply owned it and let it sit. I know he meant well but I felt embarrassed for them by it.

The TV broadcasters and media have said they’re predictable and stale. Perhaps the players feel that way, too. It’s hard to get motivated once that mindset sets in. And none of us know if there are behind the scenes tensions over certain issues. However, we are in month 3 of seeing a team that isn’t cohesive, appears disengaged with a weird vibe.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
We get beat on changes a lot. Guy fails to get the puck deep and we get burnt. Maybe we should change up tactics slightly and either do a 1 for 1 change until the puck is deep or we wait to do the whole sake change until it has officially gone deep.

We try to anticipate it going deep to forecheck sooner but it has bit us a lot. Maybe the near side winger changes when we have possession out of the D zone so he can forecheck the puck. Then everyone else changes after we see it go deep. We are kind of doing that now but it is more anticipatory than waiting until the puck goes deep

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
To me, this looks like more of a problem that exists in the organization above the player's pay grades, so to speak. Sure, some games some of the players look off. Happens to all players some games.

But the way the team has been built and coached over the last couple of seasons tells me there is a movement to change how the team is built while there has been no movement to change how you coach those players with the different skill sets. Is that Rod's fault for stubbornly sticking with his plan, does he only have the ability to coach one style, does the management not recognize the disconnect between the style and the players they bring in, do they value the wrong positions when it comes to building a team....I don't know which of those is the bigger problem, but they all seem like problems at this point.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
What I would do:

* Re-sign Noesen now. We need guys like him. Chatfield too.

* Trade Pesce for anything to get our D-corp right. 77 can't be scratched and neither can Chatty. Pesce is hot garbage and his skating is in SERIOUS decline. This defense issue is all on DW for coming into the season without clearing up the logjam.

* Trade for Mrazek. A familiar face from a happier time would probably be the boost this miserable bunch needs.

* Fire Jeff Daniels.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Stickpuckers thoughts on the game/season:
*Goalie. Needs fixin'
*Martinook had some nice passes. Too bad they went to Staal who had half a net open and made a low danger shot.
*Noesen has more goals than the entire 3rd line
*In todays NHL Noesen - Drury - Necas should be the 3rd line. Your 3rd line needs to be a threat to score
*Staal's line hasn't been shutting anyone down. They look a bit slow to get in on the forecheck and are not playing tight to their men.
*Speaking of looking old. Burns. Lots of standing and waving his stick hoping to get the puck. Also many many many blocked point shots
*Point shots...I see a lot of other teams D getting closer to the circles before they take their shots.
*Skjei has been one of our best Dmen. He does a good job making a move and skating in towards the circles to take a shot. Orlov also makes a move and shows some creativity on the back end which generates changes.
*Why aren't Skjei or Orlov on the pp over Burns/Slavin. The former are a threat to score and the latter look tired and like they need less minutes The latter also show no variety/creativity in the Ozone.
*Jack Drury now has as many goals and Jordan Staal and looks more dangerous *gulp*.
*Drury is also getting 5 min less TOI/g than Staal
*Jack Drury has +10 on Staals +/-
*RBAs system requires speed, endurance, skating
*Maybe a couple of 36 year old dudes aren't the best to be in RBA's system
*Young legs with speed who can forecheck hit look good under RBA. ie: Foegele, McGinn, ...more lately Drury
*I would like to see our most deserving call up Suzuki? Pono? and see if they can push some of these vets or take a spot.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yikes...easy to see the passengers last night:

1702045564866.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad