GDT: Hurricanes @ Devils - 3:00 PM - MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
The deserve to win meter LMAO get that stupid shit out of here. Where's my Clint Eastwood gif.
Taken literally it’s definitely dumb, but as a general outline of the quality of their play, it’s fine. The fact of the matter is they haven’t been steamrolled in any of these games the last month, bar yesterday and maybe one or two others.

It all evens out, but the just haven’t been as bad as their record. They need to figure out the the finishing, hopefully Bratt and Hischier are out of their slumps.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Also, the only 2 games we didn't truly deserve to win this year were the 2nd Washington game and the Reverse Retro game in Philly. Other than that, they were all deserved W's.

Sucks that we seem to lose so many we deserve. Would be nice if that turned back around a little bit.
How was yesterday a deserved win when we got outshot by twenty and got the benefit of someone else's shitty goaltending for once? People here can't wait to pearl clutch about deserved wins when the goaltending factor goes the other way.

Reactions: JK3

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I don’t think teams have adjusted much. Carolina just outplays everyone, and heavily (though they didn’t in our previous matchup). We gave Boston hell and created a bunch of chances. It just didn’t go in the net. 3.3 all situations xGs in game 1, 4.1 in game 2.
I'm xG sure is correlated with actual goals but I don't think the error in it is just luck. I think it's missing core information. From my understanding, a tip where the shot changes direction is counted the same as a shot from the same spot as the tip. Shots changing direction are way harder for the goalie to stop. Similarly, shots off rebounds or off seam / cross ice passes are counted the same as other shots from the same spot. But, because the goalie is moving on the former, you'd assume they'd be harder to stop.

The second Boston game to me is an example of a game that was way closer than the xG results. The Devils had very few second chance opportunities and (from what I can remember) had no tips. They generally seemed to lose board battles, so much harder to force breakdowns in coverage through cycling the puck. Ullmark tracked the puck well and shut down our rush attempts / mini-breaks. Yeah, there were some scums, but the Devils had no real net front presence or activity. They also didn't seem to do much off the cycle. Was that a game the Devils win ~60% of the time? I don't think so.

I haven't been able to see all the games this month, though, so maybe I'm not being fair?

Reactions: StevensRocks

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
How was yesterday a deserved win when we got outshot by twenty and got the benefit of someone else's shitty goaltending for once? People here can't wait to pearl clutch about deserved wins when the goaltending factor goes the other way.
What? We didn't win yesterday...

I think you misunderstood my point. I meant to say that the only 2 W's we didn't truly deserve this year was the 2nd WSH game and the Reverse Retro PHI win.

I just said it would be nice to win more games we don't deserve instead of losing a whole lot we do deserve. Seems like that's been happening a lot this season.

(I edited my OG post, I wasn't being clear)

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm pretty sure yesterday wasn't a deserve to win-o-meter game.

I have a hard time believing that, even if a decent amount of the 46 shots were lower danger than normal.

I can't imagine ever winning the deserve to win-o-meter while being outshot 46-29, unless it's a case where the team getting outshot that badly storms out to a big lead early in the game and are just score effects'd for the rest of the game. That's clearly not what happened yesterday.

Reactions: StevensRocks

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I would have to imagine if the decrepit #29 is gonna be an every 2 to 3 game staple on the ice, there's gonna be quite a few more losses where we tilt the deserve to win-o-meter in our favor.

And as I've said before, you really don't deserve to win when you play this guy when you don't really have to. He needs to be Nedeljkovic'd to the bench, other than back to backs and a game here and there where the schedule is packed and there really aren't back to backs.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I'm xG sure is correlated with actual goals but I don't think the error in it is just luck. I think it's missing core information. From my understanding, a tip where the shot changes direction is counted the same as a shot from the same spot as the tip. Shots changing direction are way harder for the goalie to stop. Similarly, shots off rebounds or off seam / cross ice passes are counted the same as other shots from the same spot. But, because the goalie is moving on the former, you'd assume they'd be harder to stop.

The second Boston game to me is an example of a game that was way closer than the xG results. The Devils had very few second chance opportunities and (from what I can remember) had no tips. They generally seemed to lose board battles, so much harder to force breakdowns in coverage through cycling the puck. Ullmark tracked the puck well and shut down our rush attempts / mini-breaks. Yeah, there were some scums, but the Devils had no real net front presence or activity. They also didn't seem to do much off the cycle. Was that a game the Devils win ~60% of the time? I don't think so.

I haven't been able to see all the games this month, though, so maybe I'm not being fair?

Of course you won't remember any tips that aren't successful. They did also get second chance opportunities, ones that they didn't score on. Ullmark had an incredible game.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
One, not the two or three Raanta gave us
That goal would have been the difference in regulation.

Not sure your angle here to be honest, I don’t think anyone thinks we outplayed Carolina yesterday the way we have in other games we’ve lost on this streak when our goaltending was the one to shit the bed. Fact remains, that game was there to be won. The way it’s been going right now. That’s hockey.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Meh

Raanta was clearly the inferior goalie yesterday

And that's coming from the biggest Blackwood hater on the planet, which I feel is SIGNIFICANTLY justified.

But...... Keep the guy out of nets as much as possible PLZ and KTHNX

Not that that'll happen, as he long he's healthy enough to actually dress for games....

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Meh

And that's coming from the biggest Blackwood hater on the planet, which I feel is SIGNIFICANTLY justified.

Not that that'll happen, as he long he's healthy enough to actually dress for games....
You should probably get mentally prepared, cause he's starting Wednesday, for sure.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Meh

An incredible galaxy brain decision by the staff to start him against the hottest team in the league and the guys we’re chasing in the division. Said this in the GDT, but I could not give less of a shit how many good saves he makes if he invalidates all of it by handing them one.

You should probably get mentally prepared, cause he's starting Wednesday, for sure.
If we’re starting him one of two games on the b2b I’d rather it be that one.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
An incredible galaxy brain decision by the staff to start him against the hottest team in the league and the guys we’re chasing in the division. Said this in the GDT, but I could not give less of a shit how many hood saves he makes if he invalidates all of it by handing them one.
Yup. The decision right off the bat was bonkers. Vitek played 2 straight solid games, keep the hot hand in net. Now we're gonna see him twice in a row cause he's definitely starting Wednesday.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I definitely wouldn’t say the poor finishing was all luck either. I’m sure sometimes when you’re getting “goalie’d” you try to get too fine and end up missing the net more. The frustration probably leads to more of a lack of finishing in a vicious cycle. But there’s certainly a luck component in a run of really low shooting percentage.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's started 59% of the games he's been dressed for this season. And the longest he sat without a start was 3 straight games the week before he got injured and left the lineup. And we came to find out later on that he was nursing a mild elbow injury, which didn't cause him to not dress any games, but caused him to miss a practice.

That doesn't mean he'll start 59% of the games he's dressed the rest of the year, but I feel like at least 40% is a safe bet.

It's sad that they can't just Nedeljkovic him to the bench like Detroit has done. They let Husso become the guy after Nedeljkovic cost them too many points in October and Husso hasn't even been dressed the last couple games and they've got Hellberg playing over Ned. That's what we need to do with him. Lindy's gonna wind up getting himself fired over the fetish and it WILL cost us points. And it HAS cost us points. Not too many, because we were lucky enough that he didn't dress for 6 weeks. We would probably be down there with the Islanders right now or possibly even lower if that didn't happen.

And I fully expected him to start Wednesday, if not Thursday. What I didn't expect was the random start yesterday.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Of course you won't remember any tips that aren't successful. They did also get second chance opportunities, ones that they didn't score on. Ullmark had an incredible game.
Deflected wide / high? You're right.

Tipped and then saved? Those usually get highlight treatment.

I agree that Ullmark played well. But so did VV. The save on DeBrusk was remarkable.

Edit: Went back to the highlights and Mercer had a sequence that I missed while watching live. I think I missed the first half of the second. Mercer grabbed a rebound then came out in front - great save by Ullmark. Mercer then came back in front for a tip. Definitely counts as what I was talking about, so I'm off at least on this example.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
An incredible galaxy brain decision by the staff to start him against the hottest team in the league and the guys we’re chasing in the division. Said this in the GDT, but I could not give less of a shit how many good saves he makes if he invalidates all of it by handing them one.

If we’re starting him one of two games on the b2b I’d rather it be that one.
This staff has a nasty fetish with him and if it isn't Lindy, it's management.

He's a BAD goalie, yet we force him on the team and try to make him happen. You cannot convince me otherwise. At least not after yesterday's random occurrence for no reason. We were gonna play him anyway in one of the next two games.

I've been paranoid about it all summer and I figured it was gonna happen during the year.

They haven't let him go more than 3 games without a start when he's been healthy enough to dress. It looked like they were gonna go 3 games, before he randomly came out yesterday.

Mark my words, if they don't wise up this is gonna cost us. We can't afford it. If we miss the playoffs by a few points and Blackwood played close to 30 games (he still could play that many this year), that's gonna be the reason.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Really? Not me. Krug, O'Reilly and Tarasenko all out for St. Louis. Would've prefered if he got the St. Louis game.
Screw that, go with Vitek on Thursday...we NEED to snap the seven-game losing streak at home before the Ranger circus comes to town next Saturday. I don't want to risk Blackwood's inner Hyde showing up that game, or is it Jekyll?

I am a bit paranoid that they might find an excuse to play Blackwood both ends of a back-to-back if he has another good game Wednesday though, they've done that in past seasons or at least wanted to reserve that option.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This staff has a nasty fetish with him and if it isn't Lindy, it's management.

He's a BAD goalie, yet we force him on the team and try to make him happen. You cannot convince me otherwise. At least not after yesterday's random occurrence for no reason. We were gonna play him anyway in one of the next two games.

I've been paranoid about it all summer and I figured it was gonna happen during the year.

They haven't let him go more than 3 games without a start when he's been healthy enough to dress. It looked like they were gonna go 3 games, before he randomly came out yesterday.

Mark my words, if they don't wise up this is gonna cost us. We can't afford it. If we miss the playoffs by a few points and Blackwood played close to 30 games (he still could play that many this year), that's gonna be the reason.
When things were going well earlier in the season Blackwood had a 4-2 record despite mediocre numbers. Hopefully the team can get back to that.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When things were going well earlier in the season Blackwood had a 4-2 record despite mediocre numbers. Hopefully the team can get back to that.
But if you remember, for quite a while those 2 were 2 of our 3 total regulation losses.

He played well in a couple of those games. I wouldn’t say he really played badly in any of the wins, but there were a couple of defensive masterpieces in there, particularly the game on Long Island and the Ducks game which was our first win.

And I’m not sure the Ducks game was a defensive masterpiece, as much as it’s the Ducks and they’re really horrible.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
But if you remember, for quite a while those 2 were 2 of our 3 total regulation losses.

He played well in a couple of those games. I wouldn’t say he really played badly in any of the wins, but there were a couple of defensive masterpieces in there, particularly the game on Long Island and the Ducks game which was our first win.

And I’m not sure the Ducks game was a defensive masterpiece, as much as it’s the Ducks and they’re really horrible.
I am not disagreeing with you. I’m just hoping the team can win with overall team play since I tend to think Blackwood will get atbout 30 games in by the end of the season. Some will be good some will be bad. On some level the wins and losses are more important for him than his goalie metrics in my eyes. He’s inconsistent but losing by one or five is still only one loss. If they can win most of his decent to good starts it should be ok.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad