Confirmed with Link: Hurricanes clinch playoff berth 2021

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (Actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
I mean, yeah, there are always surprises and shock exits in the playoffs, but there's really no world where I would prefer to face both of the two Stanley Cup finalists from last year lol. Style points don't count.

That's why I'm hoping to avoid Tampa especially. Also, I'm afraid of Dallas injuring us a lot more than Nashville doing so in the first round.

Just my two cents.

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
What? No there aren’t. I live and walk amongst them. Which message board did you find these educated and civil leafs fans on?
This one. Like I said, they're definitely outnumbered by the screaming idiots, but they do exist. @Fogelhund, right off the top of my head, is a perfectly reasonable poster, and has even visited HFCanes a few times to chat.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Implode is a bit much, but you did say “negative impact”. He’ll probably help them, even with the layoff. Justin Williams, in his late 30s helped us last year after a long layoff.

how much Kucherov helps? Who knows.

We don't know how much Williams would have fallen off down the stretch because COVID cut the season short. He had immediate impact, sure, but there is a conditioning wall that every team and player hits during the early part of the season that he would have hit had the season not been cancelled. By the time the bubble happened enough time had passed that everyone had the same conditioning going into the games.

You need to be in peak physical shape in the playoffs. Far moreso nowadays than the players even needed to be in the 90s to the lockout. To think he's going to come in and make a huge difference, I just don't see it. I could see him be a contributor, get a few goals on the PP but as a regular 5v5 guy who plays both ends of the ice for full shifts every game? I just don't see that happening, at least not for the first couple playoff rounds.

Against a team like Carolina that kills you with speed, you need to be able to match speed with speed, and I honestly think rolling a guy who hasn't played in 8 months out there and expect him to be a difference maker is not really a reasonable expectation.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
This is your periodic reminder that there is no such thing as a "wall" that adversely affects a player's performance in a game.

That is all. Thank you.

As an avid competitor and long distance cyclist for many years. There were times when it just wasn't there and I would abort the ride/race. We called that "hitting the wall" and it was real trust me. Not sure how that applies to hockey.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
As an avid competitor and long distance cyclist for many years. There were times when it just wasn't there and I would abort the ride/race. We called that "hitting the wall" and it was real trust me. Not sure how that applies to hockey.
Oh, definitely there are days where you just don't have the juice that you normally have. That's not a "wall" as its known colloquially...it's something that supposedly affects players for a stretch of games. And it's rubbish.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
More importantly, who the **** cares about the wall and the hitting of it or lack thereof?

upload_2021-4-29_11-3-43.jpeg

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Oh, definitely there are days where you just don't have the juice that you normally have. That's not a "wall" as its known colloquially...it's something that supposedly affects players for a stretch of games. And it's rubbish.

Pretty sure the wall is just being tired. It's an ebb and flow of spent and recovered energy over a season, and guys can get to a point where they drop below a certain level because they are operating at a deficit, and can't catch back up. That's the wall, as far as I can tell.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Fair enough, though the context of "colloquially" in this forum is "hockey circles", and as such, is not a single-performance phenomenon, but rather is synonymous to a slump:

Rookies try to steer clear of 'the wall'
No guarantee NHL rookies hit second half wall
(quote from that SI article: "So let’s get this out of the way right now: There is no rookie wall.")

Players absolutely go through slumps...not sure why we can't leave it at that.

But regardless, there is no such thing as a *physical* slump, as was stated above. That's not just rubbish, it's straight up horseshit.

hockeynjune

CAT4 and RI TAKE SHELTER NOW
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Fair enough, though the context of "colloquially" in this forum is "hockey circles", and as such, is not a single-performance phenomenon, but rather is synonymous to a slump:

Rookies try to steer clear of 'the wall'
No guarantee NHL rookies hit second half wall
(quote from that SI article: "So let’s get this out of the way right now: There is no rookie wall.")

Players absolutely go through slumps...not sure why we can't leave it at that.

But regardless, there is no such thing as a *physical* slump, as was stated above. That's not just rubbish, it's straight up horseshit.

It's all good. We are definitely talking about two different things.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I am probably more a tennis fan than hockey. Like Mr. Azek I greatly admire Federer--who has twice come back from 6+ month layoffs and won his first tournament back. Tennis is a sport similar to hockey in that it requires intense bursts of activity.

I am not saying there will be no challenges for Kucherov, but not sure it will be as dramatic for a world-class performer who has professional training support as it is for the rest of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad