Proposal: Hurricanes/Bruins/Oilers three way trade idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

sticker76

Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Imo the Canes have youth/skills. Two issues at hand the team is facing are 1) Leadership core needs a shakeup. You can't tell me Staal, Skinner, Faulk, Ward (now a UFA) aren't sick of failing to make the playoffs for a good part of 5 seasons now. And the team I'm sure feels the same. David Krejci stats the last seasons (63 , 54 and 44 points this season in 60 games). Scoring at a higher rate per game than Staal

2) Hanifin hasn't lived up to what the Hurricanes were hoping. Plus he is due for a sizable extension.

I'm a therapist, so I won't comment on the delusions of your thinking. Justin Williams will most like be our captain, (great leadership) and think Slavin and Pesce are also guys that can fill that role with Staal. Peters f***ed up by doing the co-captain thing and Brind'amour will not be doing that. While Krejci may out produce Staal, he is trending downwards, older and has a higher cap hit. Plus as was pointed out, Canes now have to protect 2 more players that they would not want to, thus exposing more core players. We don't expect Staal to be a scorer. Aho/Necas and wings will fill that role. Staal has 2 play a 2 way game and put up around 40-50 points and we are good with that. Hanifin is still extremely young and can still be everything we thought when we drafted him. His sizable extension will either be bridge deal or less than Pesce/Slavin deals.

No matter how you break it down value wise for the Canes, it is atrocious for Canes. No team needs are met for the Canes and value is even worse

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Hanafin is so bad why is he getting a "sizeable extension?"

Next time you make a proposal I would suggest doing far less moving parts.

5 or 6 years for 6-7 million per season is sizable. I don't think the Hurricanes will shell this out to Hanifin. The Bruins would because its a D they have been eyeing for a long time. This being said, it could turn out to blow up in the Bruins face

Hurricanes in turn have Klefbom (4 million? for next 6 seasons) plus a 10th pick for the long term

If this proposal has legs, Bruins could prob easily do Krug + Donato and future pick for 10th and Klefbom. But I believe the team really likes Hanifin

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The Bruins would need to eat Staals contract (another 5 seasons?) and offer Hanifin a sizable extension

Plus give up many pieces of the core that helped the team obtain 112 points this offseason.

Not saying this trade doesn't "shake things up/could workout for the Bruins" ... But I think it will also be beneficial for the Oiler and Hurricanes.

If you do a matching type trade... its basically Krejci/Czarnik for Staal , Miller/Acciari for Faulk, Klefbom, JFK, 10th pick for Hanifin. Plus add a future Bruins 1st and Oilers 2018 2nd and Backes (half salary for leadership) as dessert

Could the Hurricanes do better if team an individual basis trade...especially for Hanifin?
the pieces that boston are giving up aren't that valuable. krejci is pretty good but overpaid, krug is a defensive liability, backes is decent but overpaid, accari was a 4th liner, and czarnik/jfk played 11 games for the bruins. on top of that none of those guys is a 1C which is what the hurricanes would want to acquire if they trade hanafin.

OnanTheBarbarian

May 20, 2018
I am gonna keep saying it like a mantra: contenders trade for high priced UFAs. I would much rather the oilers find some cheaper options for their wing, Vanek/Grabner come to mind. Unless something ridiculous falls in our laps, I would prefer to keep the 10oa and just make some minor tweaks.
The 2019 1st is something I might part with.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I'm a therapist, so I won't comment on the delusions of your thinking. Justin Williams will most like be our captain, (great leadership) and think Slavin and Pesce are also guys that can fill that role with Staal. Peters ****ed up by doing the co-captain thing and Brind'amour will not be doing that. While Krejci may out produce Staal, he is trending downwards, older and has a higher cap hit. Plus as was pointed out, Canes now have to protect 2 more players that they would not want to, thus exposing more core players. We don't expect Staal to be a scorer. Aho/Necas and wings will fill that role. Staal has 2 play a 2 way game and put up around 40-50 points and we are good with that. Hanifin is still extremely young and can still be everything we thought when we drafted him. His sizable extension will either be bridge deal or less than Pesce/Slavin deals.

No matter how you break it down value wise for the Canes, it is atrocious for Canes. No team needs are met for the Canes and value is even worse

Basically you think if the Caines stay as they are.... you think they have a good chance to make the playoffs next season.

I think you are delusional. Also thinking, you can get a ton back for Staal, Faulk or Hanifin individually is delusional

These three players (in the last 5 seasons) have no success track records

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I can see your viewpoint...but if you keep this Hurricanes team intact... would you be surprised if the team doesn't make the playoffs next season?

Hurricanes would have the 3rd and 10th round picks in the 2018 draft. Draft two high end prospects that can put up points then.

There's a huge chasm between "keep it intact" and "totally gutting the team". They will like trade 1 or 2 of Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin, and Rask, but I would be very surprised if more than 1 or 2 of them is moved. Skinner and Rask are guys I think would be at the top of the list, followed by Faulk and maybe Hanifin. That said, even with out that, they already will have a vastly different team next year.

1) Martin Necas will very likely make the team; 2) The #2OA pick (Svechnikov?) will very likely make the team. 3) Foegele or Zykov will very likely make the team. 4) Derek Ryan, Lee Stempniak, Joakim Nordstrom, Klas Dahlbeck, Kruger, Cam Ward - or - Scott Darling, will all very likely be gone.

So if you move 2 of (Skinner, Faulk and Rask) you will be changing over almost 8 guys already. I don't see them adding more guys on top of that.

Its not a team that has the luxury to throw money around and I highly doubt they will shell 7 million a season for a D they don't have the most confidence in (Hanifin). i could be wrong

Hanifin is not going to get $7M. I don't think there's any chance he'll come close to that. And if the Canes aren't going to shell out $7M for Hanifin, then how the heck are they going to shell out $7.5 for Krecji?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
the pieces that boston are giving up aren't that valuable. krejci is pretty good but overpaid, krug is a defensive liability, backes is decent but overpaid, accari was a 4th liner, and czarnik/jfk played 11 games for the bruins. on top of that none of those guys is a 1C which is what the hurricanes would want to acquire if they trade hanafin.

How can you get a 1C for Hanifin?

It takes a franchise calibre D for this to happen

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Krug is absolutely not a defensive liability lol. I don't disagree with the overall point of your post though. Theres not enough value coming from Boston.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
There's a huge chasm between "keep it intact" and "totally gutting the team". They will like trade 1 or 2 of Skinner, Faulk, Hanifin, and Rask, but I would be very surprised if more than 1 or 2 of them is moved. Skinner and Rask are guys I think would be at the top of the list, followed by Faulk and maybe Hanifin. That said, even with out that, they already will have a vastly different team next year.

1) Martin Necas will very likely make the team; 2) The #2OA pick (Svechnikov?) will very likely make the team. 3) Foegele or Zykov will very likely make the team. 4) Derek Ryan, Lee Stempniak, Joakim Nordstrom, Klas Dahlbeck, Kruger, Cam Ward - or - Scott Darling, will all very likely be gone.

So if you move 2 of (Skinner, Faulk and Rask) you will be changing over almost 8 guys already. I don't see them adding more guys on top of that.

Hanifin is not going to get $7M. I don't think there's any chance he'll come close to that. And if the Canes aren't going to shell out $7M for Hanifin, then how the heck are they going to shell out $7.5 for Krecji?

so basically you want another team that has looked the same the last 3 seasons?

young, inexperienced (more than half) ... hoping such team can make the playoffs

its been 8 years since the Hurricanes made the playoffs. Don't you think the team desperately needs to make it into the playoffs? I think desperation is an understatement

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016

young, inexperienced (more than half) ... hoping such team can make the playoffs

its been 8 years since the Hurricanes made the playoffs. Don't you think the team desperately needs to make it into the playoffs? I think desperation is an understatement
good point - you've convinced me we will give you half of our best players for spare parts - send over the paperwork

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
Basically you think if the Caines stay as they are.... you think they have a good chance to make the playoffs next season.

I think you are delusional. Also thinking, you can get a ton back for Staal, Faulk or Hanifin individually is delusional

These three players (in the last 5 seasons) have no success track records
This line of thinking is hilarious and kind of adoreable.

“X players on your team are good and I want them to play for my team.

Only they’re not that good so I’m not going to offer fair value for them, and you should feel lucky that I’m willing to take them off your hands”

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

You keep mentioning Krug....but the full trade proposal result would have the Caines trading Krug and Skinner for Klebom and 10th pick of the 2018 draft

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you

ya but the canes wont come close to the playoffs after these trades.

the canes need a number one center and better goal tending not to get older slower and more expensive. try to sell that off as leadership all you want still smells

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Did you not read my post? Or are you purposefully not paying attention to it? Because I clearly said I expect about 8 players to be different than last year, so how does 1/3rd of the roster turning over = looked the same as the last 3 seasons?

I'll take my chances with that vs. old, broken down and gone in a couple years. Dundon CLEARLY said he doesn't want to make the playoffs 1 year, he wants to build a team that will compete year in and year out. Even said he's not going after high priced UFAs just to make the playoffs.

I think it's an incorrect statement. As I stated, Dundon stated he wants to build a team that is competitive year in and year out, not add a couple of old guys to hope they squeak in 1 year.

Your proposal is bad. Every poster has said it is bad so I'm not sure why you continue to argue it.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
You keep mentioning Krug....but the full trade proposal result would have the Caines trading Krug and Skinner for Klebom and 10th pick of the 2018 draft

Hard to make sense of any argument you've put forth. Your proposal is absolutely awful for CAR, multiple posters and fans of different teams have told you this and yet you keep trying to argue for it. And, you've misspelled CANES so many times in this thread it really makes me thing you're trolling...at least I really hope you are. At least that then would make some sense of this waste of a thread...

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009

So your solution to fixing the problem of the young inexperienced Hurricanes is to trade away the 3 skaters currently on the roster with the most NHL experience?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
This line of thinking is hilarious and kind of adoreable.

“X players on your team are good and I want them to play for my team.

Only they’re not that good so I’m not going to offer fair value for them, and you should feel lucky that I’m willing to take them off your hands”

Do you understand the concept of "shake up"

Staal, Skinner, Faulk and Ward who just left have been dealing with immense pressure to make it in the playoffs for how many years now?

A fresh start could be just what the doctor ordered. Maybe Krejci puts up better offense with better skilled wingers and without the pressure of Bruins media

It doesn't matter if this trade doesn't workout... it is just a proposal after all

but Mckenzie "rumor" does have merit. Canes do need a shake up. But not on the path on another rebuild/semi rebuild. A shakeup especially of the leadership core to help the team make the playoffs - 1st time in 8-9 years

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
a shake up yes but not a clear rip off. the canes could move all those in separate deals and get 100000 times better return.

I will revisit this comment if - soon to be RFA Hanifin can bring back a better return than a package of Klefbom, Prospect, 10th pick, future 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad