Proposal: Hurricanes/Bruins/Oilers three way trade idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
1st trade
To Bruins: Jordan Staal, Justin Faulk, Noah Hanifin, Justin Williams

To Hurricanes: David Krejci, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, David Backes (Bruins eat half the salary), Acciari, Czarnik, JFK, future 1st

* Staal and Krejci waive their NTC

2nd trade
To Hurricanes: Klefbom, 2018 10th pick
To Oilers: Krug, Skinner, 2018 2nd round pick

Reason for trade for the Oilers: Need to improve PP. Need a QB for the PP. Need a scoring winger. Need to get back into the playoffs

Reason for trade for the Hurricanes: Haven't made the playoffs now for 8-9 years straight. The "leadership core" needs a shake up. Replace Hanifin (no extension required) with Klefbom who is locked up for the long term on a terrific deal. Obtain another top 10 2018 pick

Reason for trade for the Bruins: Hanifin is a D the team has wanted ever since the 2015 draft.

sticker76

Jul 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
So the Hurricanes are trading Staal, Faulk, Williams, Skinner, and Hanifin and getting back Krejci, Millar, Backes, Acciari, Czarnik, JFK, Klefbom, 10th OA this year and a future pick? That is brutal for the Canes, Krejci is not the same player and at 7.25 for 3 more years, doesn't help the Canes at all. Plus with Necas and Aho as our future C (most likely), not sure why we want a 32 yo downward trending player. Millar may be a good vet presence on 3rd pairing, but don't think he is worth too much. Backes even with salary retention is a 3rd line player at this point. Acciari and Czarnik are depth guys that can fill in here there. JFK, Klefbom and the picks may hold some value to the Canes but not at the cost of everything else we are giving up. Hurricanes need goaltending, veteran D (Miller) and elite talent, this trade doesn't do much and we are giving up Hanifin, Faulk, Skinner, Staal, Williams who all have more value than this.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don't know all the pieces that well from Boston, but:

1) Canes aren't going to trade Justin Williams. Brindy loves the guy.
2) Too many moving pieces in this proposal.
3) Giving up Hanifin and not getting back a similar high potential, young player is a non-starter IMO.
4) Seems like you are giving up a bunch of "meh" pieces (JFK, Acciari, Czarnik, "future 1st") to try and make it work which usually doesn't work.
5) Canes get two older guys as the main pieces.
6) Canes take on two guys with NMC (Backes has one also) which means they'd have to protect both of them in the next expansion draft vs. just 1 (Staal).

If Boston wants Hanifin, then they need to be offering up a guy like DeBrusk or there's no deal to be had IMO.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
So the Hurricanes are trading Staal, Faulk, Williams, Skinner, and Hanifin and getting back Krejci, Millar, Backes, Acciari, Czarnik, JFK, Klefbom, 10th OA this year and a future pick? That is brutal for the Canes, Krejci is not the same player and at 7.25 for 3 more years, doesn't help the Canes at all. Plus with Necas and Aho as our future C (most likely), not sure why we want a 32 yo downward trending player. Millar may be a good vet presence on 3rd pairing, but don't think he is worth too much. Backes even with salary retention is a 3rd line player at this point. Acciari and Czarnik are depth guys that can fill in here there. JFK, Klefbom and the picks may hold some value to the Canes but not at the cost of everything else we are giving up. Hurricanes need goaltending, veteran D (Miller) and elite talent, this trade doesn't do much and we are giving up Hanifin, Faulk, Skinner, Staal, Williams who all have more value than this.

Imo the Canes have youth/skills. Two issues at hand the team is facing are 1) Leadership core needs a shakeup. You can't tell me Staal, Skinner, Faulk, Ward (now a UFA) aren't sick of failing to make the playoffs for a good part of 5 seasons now. And the team I'm sure feels the same. David Krejci stats the last seasons (63 , 54 and 44 points this season in 60 games). Scoring at a higher rate per game than Staal

2) Hanifin hasn't lived up to what the Hurricanes were hoping. Plus he is due for a sizable extension.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Imo the Canes have youth/skills. Two issues at hand the team is facing are 1) Leadership core needs a shakeup. You can't tell me Staal, Skinner, Faulk, Ward (now a UFA) aren't sick of failing to make the playoffs for a good part of 5 seasons now. And the team I'm sure feels the same. David Krejci stats the last seasons (63 , 54 and 44 points this season in 60 games). Scoring at a higher rate per game than Staal

2) Hanifin hasn't lived up to what the Hurricanes were hoping. Plus he is due for a sizable extension.

Step 1: Make a lopsided proposal
Step 2: Fans of opposing team disagree with your proposal
Step 3: Start denigrating opposing team and player so try and make your proposal look better.
Step 4: Rinse and repeat.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
very bad for the hurricanes and not surprisingly its great for the bruins

The Bruins would need to eat Staals contract (another 5 seasons?) and offer Hanifin a sizable extension

Plus give up many pieces of the core that helped the team obtain 112 points this offseason.

Not saying this trade doesn't "shake things up/could workout for the Bruins" ... But I think it will also be beneficial for the Oiler and Hurricanes.

If you do a matching type trade... its basically Krejci/Czarnik for Staal , Miller/Acciari for Faulk, Klefbom, JFK, 10th pick for Hanifin. Plus add a future Bruins 1st and Oilers 2018 2nd and Backes (half salary for leadership) as dessert

Could the Hurricanes do better if team an individual basis trade...especially for Hanifin?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Oilers don't make out either.

2 years of Krug, 1 year of Skinner and a 2nd for Klefbom, #10OA is terrible for them.

You know Chiarelli job is on the line

Oilers don't need anymore draft picks/build up their farm system. Team pretty much has to make the playoffs next season

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Never had a proposal of Hanifin + Faulk in the same deal, but if this was to happen it would be so brutal the thread should be shutdown for sheer stupidity.

This seems to be the case. Absolutely idiotic for the Canes to gut their roster for minor parts.

Reactions: Cane mutiny

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Never had a proposal of Hanifin + Faulk in the same deal, but if this was to happen it would be so brutal the thread should be shutdown for sheer stupidity.

This seems to be the case. Absolutely idiotic for the Canes to gut their roster for minor parts.

Klefbom, Prospect and 10th pick, future 1st is not worth the price for a RFA Hanifin?

what are you expecting exactly?

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
At the end of your deal:

Carolina adds: Krejci + Klefbom
Carolina subtracts: Hanifin + Faulk + Staal + Skinner + Williams

Give your head a shake. Would you do this?

why are you omitting the 10th pick?

You also forgot Kevan Miller, Bruins future 1st, Oilers 2018 2nd....why are you not including all the pieces?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The Bruins would need to eat Staals contract (another 5 seasons?) and offer Hanifin a sizable extension

Plus give up many pieces of the core that helped the team obtain 112 points this offseason.

Not saying this trade doesn't "shake things up/could workout for the Bruins" ... But I think it will also be beneficial for the Oiler and Hurricanes.

If you do a matching type trade... its basically Krejci/Czarnik for Staal , Miller/Acciari for Faulk, Klefbom, JFK, 10th pick for Hanifin. Plus add a future Bruins 1st and Oilers 2018 2nd and Backes (half salary for leadership) as dessert

Did you forget Justin Williams and Jeff Skinner? We'll just keep Williams for leadership. Acciari, JFK, Czarnik have very little value to Carolina. We've got gobs of guys in the system as good or better than those guys.

Could the Hurricanes do better if team an individual basis trade...especially for Hanifin?

Yes, otherwise just keep him. I'm fine with keeping Slavin (24), Pesce (23) and Hanifin (21) as our top 3 defensemen for the next 7 years.

Your proposal also removes the Canes 3rd, 4th and 5th leading scorers and replaces them with Krecjei. Backes has become a 30-40 point player who can't stay healthy. Doesn't make sense for Carolina no matter how you try to spin it.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

If Hanafin is so bad why is he getting a "sizeable extension?"

Next time you make a proposal I would suggest doing far less moving parts.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Did you forget Justin Williams and Jeff Skinner? We'll just keep Williams for leadership. Acciari, JFK, Czarnik have very little value to Carolina. We've got gobs of guys in the system as good or better than those guys.

Yes, otherwise just keep him. I'm fine with keeping Slavin (24), Pesce (23) and Hanifin (21) as our top 3 defensemen for the next 7 years.

Your proposal also removes the Canes 3rd, 4th and 5th leading scorers and replaces them with Krecjei. Backes has become a 30-40 point player who can't stay healthy. Doesn't make sense for Carolina no matter how you try to spin it.[/QUOTE]

I can see your viewpoint...but if you keep this Hurricanes team intact... would you be surprised if the team doesn't make the playoffs next season?

Hurricanes would have the 3rd and 10th round picks in the 2018 draft. Draft two high end prospects that can put up points then.

Its not a team that has the luxury to throw money around and I highly doubt they will shell 7 million a season for a D they don't have the most confidence in (Hanifin). i could be wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad