Proposal: Hurricanes/Bruins/Oilers three way trade idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Carolina looks poised to trade Skinner and let Ward walk as a UFA. Add that to a change behind the bench (HC) and in the executive suite (GM), and I’d say Carolina will have already shaken up the organization significantly. Beyond that, you're getting into "making a trade for the sake of making a trade" territory.

Reactions: Unsustainable

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ward is a UFA and likely already gone.
One or both of Skinner or Faulk will likely be moved. That's good enough. Here's what Waddell said the other day to the media:

“We want to make change, but when you make change you want to make sure you’re making the right change and making the right decision, because anybody can make just change for the sake of making change. But if you’re not making your hockey club better with those changes, it might make sense to take another look at it.

We’re looking at all of those options as we speak right now to see which pieces make sense for us to move out, which ones we need to continue to build around.

Obviously getting the No. 2 pick in the NHL draft coming up probably means we’re going to be able to put a player right on our team. If we keep the pick, which it looks like that’s the way it’s going right now – that’s exciting. We have Marty Necas, who we drafted last year in the first round, that we feel is going to make the jump this year to the NHL. We’ve got Aho and a few of our other young guys. I think we have a lot of good pieces in place, and now we have to find the right supplements around those players with some of the veterans like the Williams and Jordan Staal and Slavin and Pesce on defense, Faulk. We feel like we’ve got a lot of good pieces.

There you have it. They want to put the right pieces in place to build around the #2OA pick, Necas, Aho and "a few other young guys", Williams, Staal, Slavin, Pesce and Faulk. TT, Lindholm, McGinn, Hanifin and Fleury all could be "the other young guys", but noticeably absent was Skinner and Rask.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I will revisit this comment if - soon to be RFA Hanifin can bring back a better return than a package of Klefbom, Prospect, 10th pick, future 1st

You aren't proposing Hanifin for those 3. You are proposing a horrendous package in which Hanifin is only 1 part of. You want to make a Hanifin only proposal, then go ahead and make it, but that's not what you are doing.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
If Hanifin can't bring back a young potential 1C hes not going anywhere. The Canes are under no pressure to trade him

so you are saying then...canes will lock him up to a 5-6 year deal at neighbourhood of 6 million per season?

and the team has not been disappointed with his performance in relation to where he was picked in the 2015 draft?

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
2) Hanifin hasn't lived up to what the Hurricanes were hoping. Plus he is due for a sizable extension.
If there only was a team in the league who would take the burden off Canes' shoulders...
Ah, there comes the knight in shiny armor...and it's not Vegas, it's the Bruins to the rescue...wooohoo

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Do you understand how RFA works?

yes I do

And the player also doesn't have to commit (see Dougie Hamilton for example)

or holdout for overpay

The team apparently is not thrilled with what he has provided .....on the flipside Hanifin has had to deal with team failure not to make the playoffs since drafted

why would he want to stay/give a discount? On the flipside why would the Canes want to overpay

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
why would he want to stay/give a discount? On the flipside why would the Canes want to overpay

Better question, why would Krecji and Backes (both of whom have NMC) waive them to go to a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 9 years? I can answer that: "They wouldn't"

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I don't know all the pieces that well from Boston, but:

1) Canes aren't going to trade Justin Williams. Brindy loves the guy.
2) Too many moving pieces in this proposal.
3) Giving up Hanifin and not getting back a similar high potential, young player is a non-starter IMO.
4) Seems like you are giving up a bunch of "meh" pieces (JFK, Acciari, Czarnik, "future 1st") to try and make it work which usually doesn't work.
5) Canes get two older guys as the main pieces.
6) Canes take on two guys with NMC (Backes has one also) which means they'd have to protect both of them in the next expansion draft vs. just 1 (Staal).

If Boston wants Hanifin, then they need to be offering up a guy like DeBrusk or there's no deal to be had IMO.

I agree with you, just wanted to nitpick here. Backes (and Krejci) see their NMCs change to NTCs after next season so they don't have to be protected (and won't be likely).

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I agree with you, just wanted to nitpick here. Backes (and Krejci) see their NMCs change to NTCs after next season so they don't have to be protected (and won't be likely).

I was assuming (maybe incorrectly) that the expansion draft would would be June 2019 (Vegas was June 2017). If the draft is in June 2019, then both Backes and Krejci would need to be protected because SPCs run until 6/30, so their NMC clauses would still be in effect (as they don't change to NTC's until July 1, 2019). If the next expansion draft is in June 2020, you are 100% correct.

Is the draft expected in June 2019 or 2020? I can't seem to find info on that.

EDIT: Or did the NHL stipulate that it was only players that had NMC's for the following season that needed to be protected?

EDIT 2: You are right wintersej, the rule was: "* All players who have currently effective and continuing "No Movement" clauses at the time of the Expansion Draft (and who to decline to waive such clauses) must be protected (and will be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits).

Even if the draft is in 2019, they don't have a continuing NMC so wouldn't need to be protected.

Last edited:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If I were the Canes, I wouldn't lock Hanifin up long term unless it was for a team friendly deal (something akin to Pesce's). Otherwise, I'd be happy to do a 2 year, or preferably a 3 year bridge deal.

Also, I don't think that Canes management disappointed in Hanifin's progression. He made significant strides each year, especially in the early 1/2 of this past season. He's progressing exactly like his peers have done historically. Not everybody comes into the league ready-made for the NHL. As long as development is on an upward curve, it's all good.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Reading the trade board as a Canes fan is just hilarious.

Other team fan: You guys suck and need to make the playoffs, so gut your team and scrap your rebuild by trading your most valuable players to us for aging, highly paid vets, spare parts, run of the mill prospects, and/or non-immediate impact draft picks.
Canes fans: No, that sounds terrible
Other team fan: Lol, ur players we want to acquire suck anyway!!1!

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
1st trade
To Bruins: Jordan Staal, Justin Faulk, Noah Hanifin, Justin Williams

To Hurricanes: David Krejci, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, David Backes (Bruins eat half the salary), Acciari, Czarnik, JFK, future 1st

* Staal and Krejci waive their NTC

2nd trade
To Hurricanes: Klefbom, 2018 10th pick
To Oilers: Krug, Skinner, 2018 2nd round pick

Reason for trade for the Oilers: Need to improve PP. Need a QB for the PP. Need a scoring winger. Need to get back into the playoffs

Reason for trade for the Hurricanes: Haven't made the playoffs now for 8-9 years straight. The "leadership core" needs a shake up. Replace Hanifin (no extension required) with Klefbom who is locked up for the long term on a terrific deal. Obtain another top 10 2018 pick

Reason for trade for the Bruins: Hanifin is a D the team has wanted ever since the 2015 draft.

bruins make out pretty good... oilers do well...
I guess if Carolina is willing to bend over the other 2 sides should be happy

but honestly... I haven't seen more than 1 or 2 trades in the past 40 years that involve this many pieces and those trades were for guys like Lindros and gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad