Rumor: Hurricanes, Blue Jackets, Predators interested in Mikael Granlund

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
There hasn't been any action in weeks and there isn't even a set date for camp to start. Anyone else think that news is being manufactured at this point for clicks?
I'd put this more in the category of "informed speculation" rather than news. which is about as good as you're going to get at this point with so much up in the air about next season

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
There hasn't been any action in weeks and there isn't even a set date for camp to start. Anyone else think that news is being manufactured at this point for clicks?

NHL games need to be started by no later than February so camps could start in next 2-3 weeks. Players are showing up to their arenas/practice facilities.
I'd expect a lot of the top 10 free agents making their decisions within 2 weeks. The league and NHLPA will work out this agreement.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has to pick a place to get his numbers back up to get paid. Big decision. Maybe take a hit this season to secure something long term next off seasnon.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
My guess is Columbus. They have the gobs of space and the lineup slot for him after Anderson was dealt. I'd be shocked but pleasantly surprised if it's Carolina. I still think that Carolina's the leaning favorites for Vatanen.

Last edited:

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
My guess is Columbus. They have the gobs of space and the lineup slot for him after Anderson was dealt. I'd be shocked but pleasantly surprised if it's Carolina. I still think that they're the leaning favorites for Vatanen.
They will be close to Carolina with cap space once PLD is signed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think Columbus is where he'll end up. Especially with the opportunity with Nyquist's injury.

Reactions: lilfedor

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
They will be close to Carolina with cap space once PLD is signed.

Not if PLD is bridged. If they go long-term, then sure. Granlund (much like Vatanen) looks like he might be a bargain, though, no matter who gets him. I'm sure that Columbus wants term with Dubois, though, just because I think that Kek is likely sick of star players leaving the team even though he offers solid contracts to them. It's IMO the main reason why they cleared so much cap early in the offseason.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Canes could use him especially if he's willing/able to play wing in their system. But they need to ship out some dead weight before most likely.

Reactions: DaveG

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I think he'd do well with the Hurricanes, but Blue Jackets is where I guess he'll end up.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Seems like he'd have the most opportunity with Columbus.

Well maybe he'd have even more opportunities with the Predators but if I'm him and signing a one year deal there's no way I'm going back to the team where offense goes to die.

Reactions: Husqvarna

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I very much doubt we'd bring Granlund back after all this, although Coach Hynes really liked him. We could really use a Hoffman-type scorer to round out our top-6.

I think Granlund re-unites with Koivu and ends up in Columbus. He'd fit in Tortorella's system like a glove unlike Hoffman.

Carolina doesn't have any cap space left, so unless one of them is willing to take a $1 mil deal a year, I don't see Carolina pulling it off.

All-in-all, nobody is signing anywhere until the next season gets some clarity.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Granlund could be a homerun for some of these teams. I expect that Bruins were never in on him, that's sad.

About his contract, does he take a long-term deal now that he has a baby or does he go something like 1-year prove-it deal?

I could see CBJ as an optimal choice for him. Could be a steal if you want to commit long-term.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If Granlund wants to put up offensive numbers I think Carolina is a better shot if he can get ice time with Aho/TT or Tro/Svech...if he ends up on a line with Staal not so much.

If it's a 1 year show me I'd say Carolina if it's a couple year deal most likely CBJ.

Reactions: Husqvarna

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Canes could use him especially if he's willing/able to play wing in their system. But they need to ship out some dead weight before most likely.
Yep, if they are able to move Dzingle the room is there for Granlund, otherwise i think he's going to end up in Columbus.

A one year in Carolina is probably his best bet to reestablish value and make a run at a cup though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad