Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Surprising he's still available

I’m not

it’s about limited cap space.

1 focus on keeping your own players
2 focus on high need or high end UFA market
3 sign cheap secondary players for under $2M

players like grandlund and Hoffman wanted high money and term. Neither was available.

you also have over a dozen teams over the cap with a 23 man roster. They need to trade players.

you have about 4 teams rebuilding with space. Then around 3 others with some space in the short term. Teams already had to add sweetness to move some salary.

Even after the dominoes fall with some trades where teams say $1M-$3M over the cap move players to the teams $1M-$3Am under which balances out cap space

you still don’t have room.

there are a few teams who could use LTIR space to sign them to short higher contracts. That’s likely is a driver in Hoffman and grandlund and Vatanan signing. Boston, St. Louis, and a few other teams look like they could have LTIR room.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think he should take a one year contract and go to a place where he can put up numbers. BOS would be ideal. They are going to be short offensive players for a while, and Granlund can fill in there. Eventually, he can play with Krecji...even though he is a LHS, he is best at LW. I think two smart players like those two will figure something out. if injuries happen, he can always play C

At this point, I think teams are waiting for more info on the upcoming season, and will only sign a player if they completely cave on term, AAV, or both. It's a bad time to be looking for a job.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
He did start playing better in Nashville after Hynes took over but I think he would be a better fit in Columbus at this point.

That's true, although he was being fed some pretty sweet minutes for us and still wasn't averaging many points. I'd rather not risk him going back to how he played the majority of his time here, and his last few months in Minnesota, a good 15 games doesn't negate the 50-60 meh ones.

Tolvanen's gonna be 22 this year, it's time to sink or swim with him, and if not him Tomasino or Trenin can absolutely replace what Granlund brought, or rather didn't bring.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Tolvanen's gonna be 22 this year, it's time to sink or swim with him, and if not him Tomasino or Trenin can absolutely replace what Granlund brought, or rather didn't bring.

As a side note, what’s going on with Tolvanen? A couple years ago, I recall he was pretty highly touted, but just looking at stats, doesn’t seem to be progressing as well. I haven’t followed him much so stats probably don’t tell the story. What’s the expectation for him? What’s holding him back(if anything)?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
As a side note, what’s going on with Tolvanen? A couple years ago, I recall he was pretty highly touted, but just looking at stats, doesn’t seem to be progressing as well. I haven’t followed him much so stats probably don’t tell the story. What’s the expectation for him? What’s holding him back(if anything)?
we told him to focus on his defensive game. He did and it improved alot.... in the mean time him offensive numbers dove

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Minnesota and Carolina would be great for him, I think. Perhaps Montreal.

Nashville was a terrible fit for his playstyle. I was surprised they even traded for him. Perhaps they just wanted to get rid of Fiala.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

I think it's a case of his expectations being too high to begin with, you have to remember he's a 30th overall. He hit that record breaking streak in the KHL really early into his career so everyone, me included, thought he'd be ready right away. He put up decent numbers in the AHL and, in typical Nashville fashion was then told to work on the defensive side of the game.

I think he can still be a goal scorer in the league, but goal scorers are often streaky.

Nashville was a terrible fit for his playstyle. I was surprised they even traded for him. Perhaps they just wanted to get rid of Fiala.

A prime Granlund is what we hoped Fiala would turn into at the time, plus his two previous seasons would have been two of the best seasons in about a decade for us statistically.

Fiala showed flashes of brilliance but didn't get the chance to pull it together here, especially considering our refusal to let any player under 25 be below average defensively. He tried to do too much here and wasn't great defensively so we thought that even if Granlund dropped 10 points like most players do when they come to Nashville that he'd at least be good enough defensively to make up for it. That obviously wasn't the case.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I'd hope not. It didn't work here. However, Preds missed out on Hall, and might be desperate for a top 6 winger.
I think the reason it didn't work out was Lavi's system. He's gone now, so I think this time it could be different.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

In Montreal, he would not get into the top6 and would have to fight hard to make the third line.

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Portzline said yesterday he doesn’t believe the Jackets have much interest. Even with Nyquist injured, Granlund most likely doesn’t crack the top six. And we don’t need more guys for the third line. We have one weakness, not depth, the lack of a high end scorer. Granlund doesn’t solve that, only adds to the logjam and makes us put other NHL caliber players in the AHL.
Columbus is only being named because of the cap space and Koivu signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->