GDT: Hurricanes at Oilers

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
The problem is Gibson hasn’t been good for a long time. Add in their young goalie hasn’t panned out so a meh Gibson is going to cost a bad overpay to get. He isn’t worth it.

Markstrom had that bad finger injury. Calgary’s defense hasn’t done him any favors but he hasn’t looked that sharp the last 2 years either

If HD chances are our concern then neither really are an upgrade.

Kotchetkov has a high save percentage on HD chances than Gibson (.032 difference) and is within .002 of Markstrom.

There isn’t a simple solution here and going to get a big name will either a lot of cap or cost a lot of assets unnecessarily. Everyone will hang banners over a smaller trade but it is the better move.
Andersen's HDSV% was worse than Gibson's his last 4 seasons in Toronto. It was the main reason I didn't want to trade for or sign Andersen:
.808, .800, .806, .780 Andersen's last 4 years in Toronto (all situations.)

.785, .829, .827, .822 Gibson's last 4 years in Anaheim (.822 is this season, all situations.)

I see Kochetkov with a .724 HDSV this season in all situations on Natural Stat Trick. I assume that now includes last night.

I'd love to find a smaller move that could help, but the only realistic one I see is taking a flier on Driedger based on his play in the AHL.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Andersen's HDSV% was worse than Gibson's his last 4 seasons in Toronto. It was the main reason I didn't want to trade for or sign Andersen:
.808, .800, .806, .780 Andersen's last 4 years in Toronto (all situations.)

.785, .829, .827, .822 Gibson's last 4 years in Anaheim (.822 is this season, all situations.)

I see Kochetkov with a .724 HDSV this season in all situations on Natural Stat Trick. I assume that now includes last night.

I'd love to find a smaller move that could help, but the only realistic one I see is taking a flier on Driedger based on his play in the AHL.
in fairness I did say save above expected percentage.

just means our HD chances against dont have a lot of save probability

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
This Erin Manning person pops up on my For You tab once in a while … which is too much.

This happens EVERY year. The mid-season swoon. I agree if it’s pointed out “this feels different.” It does. Because the goaltending is atrocious and the #1 guy isn’t coming back.

The buy-in hasn't changed … but, the players have gotten older. Specifically on D. Plus Staal.

Add in the fact that there are no absolute stars, and Svech (for good reason) and Necas (no good reason) are no-shows, well, we see inconsistency.

I don’t think it’s far off. “Make a f***ing save” has never felt more right. But “the future” has to step up, now.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
It also doesn't help that the ones carrying us early in the season (TT and KK) have not really been factors of late. Not that it's their fault, as they shouldn't be expected to carry the team for long, but if they're not going and Svech and Necas aren't going, then you've got Aho and Jarvis trying to produce the entire offense the entire game, and that's simply not going to work.

MisterDobz

Unauthorized User
Apr 13, 2022
Chicago, Florida
So it appears that we’re not looking at a late season presidents trophy battle. That’s ok, Florida made a run to the finals from the 8 seed last year, the key is how you’re playing in March, not December. Every ridiculous loss like last night is frustrating, but more important is the team trajectory which is flat at best. But flat will get us a playoff slot and three months to figure out how to solve the multitude of problems that affect this team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So we can accrue cap space while trades are unlikely. Trades generally start after January
Yep. Remember, when you're using LTIR, you don't accrue space. So you leave him on the roster as long as possible until you have the replacement player.

The other question will be if he winds up medically retiring- in which case I think you can fully remove the cap hit and claim accrued space going back to the first game he missed due to medical issues. If that's the way it goes, and you wait until confirmation, you have room to go big game hunting.

The team knows the cap and Freddy's medical situation better than any of us do. I'm sure they're doing the right thing on that front. The question is whether we'll have a goalie with a Freddy return or a trade or if we're gonna have to run Raanta/Koochie out in the playoffs.

Reactions: Tryamw and ndp

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
Raanta really played great against Boston and NY in the playoffs 2 years ago. I wouldn’t want to have to count on him doing it again though

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Yep. Remember, when you're using LTIR, you don't accrue space. So you leave him on the roster as long as possible until you have the replacement player.

The other question will be if he winds up medically retiring- in which case I think you can fully remove the cap hit and claim accrued space going back to the first game he missed due to medical issues. If that's the way it goes, and you wait until confirmation, you have room to go big game hunting.

The team knows the cap and Freddy's medical situation better than any of us do. I'm sure they're doing the right thing on that front. The question is whether we'll have a goalie with a Freddy return or a trade or if we're gonna have to run Raanta/Koochie out in the playoffs.
He is signed next year too. Does that amount get worked into Canes cap (and I presume would also be LTIR'd)?

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I would be surprised to hear Freddie forfeit all that pay by retiring instead of LTIRetiring

He is signed next year too. Does that amount get worked into Canes cap (and I presume would also be LTIR'd)?
If he retires, his cap hit goes away

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I would be surprised to hear Freddie forfeit all that pay by retiring instead of LTIRetiring

If he retires, his cap hit goes away
they could at least plan for LTIR next year like they did with Gardiner.

This year, LTIR only makes sense if they make a deal for a replacement goalie and accept there won’t be space for a forward at the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad