Hunter Shinkaruk - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008
I hope he gets a string of games with the big club after the deadline, just to throw him a bone before the AHL playoffs. He's earned it.

westvandal

Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, A string of games with a team that's quit and dispirited should be a good lesson for a rookie.

I don't agree with that at all...3-4 games after they are out of contention will be a looser atmosphere for him. He could get some meaningful minutes played in offensive situations so there is a bigger NHL body of work for him to draw experience from.
Shinkaruk needs to be included in a call up for his motivation long term.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Two quick questions from a casual fan.

1. Who is Shinkaruk playing with? or has the lines been shuffled a bunch of times. I"m curious if there is a 'type' of player that is benneficial to his playing style
Grinder? play maker? scorer? tenacious puck retriever, two-way guy, etc

2. I know that players lose a considerable amount of weight as the pro season nears the end....but how big height and weight do you guys reckon Shinkaruk will be coming into the next Canuck training camp?

Thanks,

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.

1. Who is Shinkaruk playing with? or has the lines been shuffled a bunch of times. I"m curious if there is a 'type' of player that is benneficial to his playing style

2. I know that players lose a considerable amount of weight as the pro season nears the end....but how big height and weight do you guys reckon Shinkaruk will be coming into the next Canuck training camp?

Thanks,

I would say his weight coming into camp should be 185lbs minimum. Hopefully 190 with a good summer training. He's basically the same physically as Baertschi is. Provided no extra growth happens he will still be 5'11"

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Thanks,

Grenier has consistently been the right wing on his line. Vey, Gaunce, Zalewski, and currently Gaunce again have been his centers. He needs a playmaker because he cannot take the puck himself and go to the net. He is a finisher. The Comets have lacked this type of center all season. 10 of his goals are PP goals. Last night was an EN goal. Only 9 goals in 45 starts were at even strength.

The Comets have needed a true #1 play making center all season and one has not been procured. Grenier has gone off into the abyss and Hunter has not been fed enough pucks at even strength due to this lack. His goal total would probably be higher with such a center. He also needs to strengthen his game in both his own end and the neutral zone to be successful in the NHL. If Canucks fans criticize Baertschi for his game, Hunter will be eaten alive with his effort outside of goal attempts. He must have a play maker to score and his line will suffer getting out of their zone if he is to be depended upon. NHL defenses will make his life much more miserable as well. He needs more AHL development. Don't be fooled by his goal totals. I believe in him, but he is not yet ready for the next step.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Shinkaruk is 3rd in the AHL in goals scored among players born in 1992 or later. He's 8th overall but 5 of those players above him are a full 4 years or more older than him (though some of them have played less games as they've been given shots in the NHL this season). That's pretty impressive for his age group.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Tony Gallagher reports Shinkaruk and Gaunce being shopped in multiple deals around the league. Not surprising. Because Benning.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Tony Gallagher reports Shinkaruk and Gaunce being shopped in multiple deals around the league. Not surprising. Because Benning.

Its probably for a young defenceman or a package for Drouin.

Benning reqlly putting his stamp on the team, wants to clear out Gillis prospects as much as he can

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I will lose my mind if they do this and not get full value back. I wouldn't even do this for Drouin at this point.

For Drouin I would be in favour of that. Shinkaruk is developing well but I wouldn't put him at Drouin's level yet. Losing Gaunce would be unfortunate but acceptable too.

What would really make me lose my mind is that hypothetical package for 20 games of Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson. I'd literally punch my own face to distract from the pain of reading that news.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
A couple of thoughts on Hunter Shinkaruk.

His offensive production alone makes him our best prospect in Utica. With a consistent play making C, say Linden Vey, on his line for the full year, he would easily be in the top 10 in AHL scoring (he's currently tied for 21st, but only 4 points out of the top 10). He's also 8th in goals, and could finish in the top 5.

I realize that he does not have a complete 200 ft game and that he is not particularly strong on the boards in any zone. To have a long career in the NHL you have to develop a 2 way game by the time you are 23 - 25, at least to the point where the coach is willing to send you over the boards in key situations. But there are many players who break in to the NHL with worse defensive prowess than Shinkaruk. The real question is if in the short term his offensive production can translate to the NHL while his defensive game develops. For a 21/22 year old, if he can score in the NHL a lot of faults will be over looked (at least for a while).

Some improvements will also come simply by getting stronger. Hunter was set back a bit by his hip injury. An other summer of strength training will help him battle harder on the boards and in front of the net. Shinkaruk is going to have to learn to play the small man's game - you have to move the puck quickly or you will end up in a fight on the boards with a guy who out weighs you by 30 lbs. It also helps to play with smart line mates who can get open to allow you to move the puck quickly.

If the rumour that Benning is shopping Shinkaruk is true, I hope it involves either Hamonic or Drouin and that the additional asset in either case is not too much. As much as I am on record for not being a fan of Drouin, he is a superior talent (maybe a worse human being). I'm loathe to give up a kid with a great attitude who has worked his butt off to improve in the AHL for a kid who thinks he's too good for the 3rd line in the NHL, but ... the skilz. I'd be all over Travis Hamonic though - it would be like adding a 2nd, slightly more mature Ben Hutton.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver

Can't for this to happen so I can bail on the team, sooooo funny.

Although skeletor is prob just experiencing some dementia.

Travis Green and Shinks Gauncy are in the plan for the cup

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
A couple of thoughts on Hunter Shinkaruk.

His offensive production alone makes him our best prospect in Utica. With a consistent play making C, say Linden Vey, on his line for the full year, he would easily be in the top 10 in AHL scoring (he's currently tied for 21st, but only 4 points out of the top 10). He's also 8th in goals, and could finish in the top 5.

I realize that he does not have a complete 200 ft game and that he is not particularly strong on the boards in any zone. To have a long career in the NHL you have to develop a 2 way game by the time you are 23 - 25, at least to the point where the coach is willing to send you over the boards in key situations. But there are many players who break in to the NHL with worse defensive prowess than Shinkaruk. The real question is if in the short term his offensive production can translate to the NHL while his defensive game develops. For a 21/22 year old, if he can score in the NHL a lot of faults will be over looked (at least for a while).

Some improvements will also come simply by getting stronger. Hunter was set back a bit by his hip injury. An other summer of strength training will help him battle harder on the boards and in front of the net. Shinkaruk is going to have to learn to play the small man's game - you have to move the puck quickly or you will end up in a fight on the boards with a guy who out weighs you by 30 lbs. It also helps to play with smart line mates who can get open to allow you to move the puck quickly.

If the rumour that Benning is shopping Shinkaruk is true, I hope it involves either Hamonic or Drouin and that the additional asset in either case is not too much. As much as I am on record for not being a fan of Drouin, he is a superior talent (maybe a worse human being). I'm loathe to give up a kid with a great attitude who has worked his butt off to improve in the AHL for a kid who thinks he's too good for the 3rd line in the NHL, but ... the skilz. I'd be all over Travis Hamonic though - it would be like adding a 2nd, slightly more mature Ben Hutton.

I agree with all of this. The thing with a young player like Shinkaruk is whether he's willing to put in the effort to learn to at least be a non-liability in the other two zones of the ice. He seems to love playing and is enthusiastic, so I'm hopeful that he gets to that point.

He doesn't need to be a defensive whiz, but if he can be a useful scoring threat that finds soft spots in the offensive zone and can be a good transition player in the neutral zone, he'll be a useful player. He's having a hell of a season in Utica this year.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

they should be shopped. they're mediocre at best and we need young dmen. I don't see what the problem is here.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Feb 5, 2006
Calgary
For Drouin I would be in favour of that. Shinkaruk is developing well but I wouldn't put him at Drouin's level yet. Losing Gaunce would be unfortunate but acceptable too.

What would really make me lose my mind is that hypothetical package for 20 games of Andrew Ladd or Loui Eriksson. I'd literally punch my own face to distract from the pain of reading that news.

I wouldn't. Drouin hasn't proven himself to be anything special in the limited sample size in the AHL and I don't trust his NHL scores playing with Stamkos. Plus his reputation has taken a bit of a hit with this trade request and pouting because he isn't in the NHL. Hunter on the other hand seems to be the complete opposite and willing to work to get his shot.

No thanks to entitled babies. He is another Hodgson.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
they should be shopped. they're mediocre at best and we need young dmen. I don't see what the problem is here.

I wouldn't call Shinkaruk mediocre. He already has 20 goals in the AHL and is by far our offensive leader down there. He has top 6 potential.

Gaunce is looking like he'll become a solid bottom 6er in the NHL.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I would be all for both guys getting traded depending on what the deal was.

That is a big distinction though obviously given our less than stellar history of deal-making.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I wouldn't. Drouin hasn't proven himself to be anything special in the limited sample size in the AHL and I don't trust his NHL scores playing with Stamkos. Plus his reputation has taken a bit of a hit with this trade request and pouting because he isn't in the NHL. Hunter on the other hand seems to be the complete opposite and willing to work to get his shot.

No thanks to entitled babies. He is another Hodgson.

I understand your concerns about Drouin's attitude and I share them, which is why I have argued against moving significant assets (Horvat, Virtanen, McCann) for a player who has chosen to 'quit' on his team. That is a red flag for me.

At the same time, there is limit to how much I would 'discount' Drouin due to attitude. The other half of the equation is his elite talent level, as demonstrated in junior and - at times - in the NHL. There is a significant risk/reward with this player. He absolutely could "Hodgson his way" out of the NHL, he could also put it behind him and develop into a top line forward.

For me there is a price-point where I am willing to gamble that he does the latter instead of the former. That price is well below Horvat, and somewhat below Virtanen and McCann. For me it starts to make sense when the price is (in this discussion at least) a good-but-not elite prospect like Shinkaruk and a bottom 6 prospect in Gaunce. Those are assets that, while I like, I am definitely willing to offer up in a "boom or bust" deal like this one.

Not everyone would, I get that. But for me the risk/reward level is commensurate with the cost of Shinkaruk and Gaunce. YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad