Player Discussion Hunter 'Just Needs Poirier' Shinkaruk

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Lets chat about the newest Flame, Hunter Shinkaruk.

Currently sitting with: 45GP 21G 18A 39P in the AHL this season.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/hunter-shinkaruk/

2014-15: Shinkaruk attended training camp with the Canucks and was assigned to AHL affiliate Utica at the start of the 2014-15 season rather than returning to Medicine Hat for an overage season. As a 20 year old rookie Shinkaruk posted very respectable numbers netting 16 goals and adding 15 assists for 31 points in 76 games. He also chipped in four goals and two assists in 23 playoff games with the Comets.

Talent Analysis

Shinkaruk is a tenacious forechecking winger with great hands. He is offensively skilled and is willing to pay the price to score goals. His ferocious style has taken its toll at times and there are concerns that he will be able to withstand the physical punishment without added muscle and strength. He reads the play well and distributes the puck to teammates effectively.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Wanted him at the draft, and that's about as much as I know about him.

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Coming out of retirement for this post:

Canucks Fans were basically begging for Shinkaruk to get called up this year. Shinkaruk was a Gillis pick, and never really seemed to get a fair look by Benning/Weisbrod (not much of a look at training camp, and played 1 NHL game this year despite being Uticas best player and Vancouvers lack of goalscoring).

Bennings picks (Virtanen/McCann) made the team this year (whether or not they deserved/earned those spots) so it really looks like if you weren't one of Bennings guys, you weren't going to be on the team.

Shinkaruk did spend his final junior season with a nagging hip injury, and then went for season ending surgery which likely hampered his first AHL season. I wouldn't put too much stock into those numbers overall.

Im not saying Shinkaruk is a guarantee'd NHL player, there is still some risk involved. But he absolutely did everything that was asked of him, had a great attitude, and was one of the few bright spots this season.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not a fan of his due to questions about his attitude but I think his ceiling is significantly higher than Granlund's so I think this trade is a steal for us.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
His attitude is not an issue.... Problem is he is weak on D, weak on the boards... Not an NHL 3rd or 4th line player... It's either first 2 lines or bust for shink... Kinda like Sven bartchie but less skill...

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The idea that Shinkaruk has a bad attitude is bull ****. He was one of the hardest working players in the entire Canucks organization.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
Really excited to see how he does. Hopefully he lights it up. He seems to be doing really well in the AHL this year. Wonder how far from the NHL he is? Maybe a call-up after the trade deadline or a look nearing the end of the season if he continues to do well.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not a huge fan but definitely could be a fit alongside Bennett for example, if he pans out.

Next years CGY-VAN deadline trade will involve Tyler Wotherspoon...

Flames traded Granlund and Baertschi before they lost their waiver exemption. Wotherspoon loses his next year. Next year's deal with the Nucks will involve Sieloff given the Weisbrod connection.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think it's a homerun trade for us like the Canuck fans are making it out to be, but I don't mind the trade since Granlund is getting a better opportunity on the Canucks. In fact, I think he will pan out better than Baertschi.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think this trade is a win for the Canucks but I am happy about our farm team adding a new scorer as they needed one and Granlund wasn't helping them or us from the press box.

Should we flip him for Drouin?

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I think he dissed Calgary during his draft year?
I think he was just surprised his hometown team didn't pick him because apparently Calgary said they were going to pick him

You know McCann said "It is what it is" when he got drafted by the Canucks :laugh:

Most likely Shink ends up being a 2nd to 3rd line twenner, but it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being a first liner or ends up becoming a bust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad