Hughes vs Fox

Hughes Vs Fox

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
TFW you drafted Fox, have spots available for him and he refuses to sign.

Thus I go with Hughes.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think Fox was arguably better this year, despite the hype around Makar and Hughes for the Calder, but definitely Hughes long term.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'll give the nod to Hughes.

That being said, people will say this isn't close and that's an insane take. Fox might end up being better than McDonagh was for the Rangers.

42 points as a rookie and the offensive zone is his weakest.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
There's a tired narrative that gets pushed around here that Hughes isn't good defensively and is some offense-only guy but it's a complete fallacy. Hughes is an incredibly special talent and will be one of the very best defensemen of his generation. Fox is great but it's no comparison, regardless of what a few Rangers fans would like to proclaim.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
What is the argument for Fox being better?

Mostly RAPM measurements, which suggest he's driving offense at a similar level, while being better defensively. And while I think Hughes is quite a bit more dynamic, I think he's still learning how to turn that into points. In terms of actual production, they are near identical in terms of rates at both 5v5 and on the PP, and their difference in scoring is almost entirely due to Hughes' TOI advantage on the PP since Fox is blocked by Deangelo. Breaking it down further, their underlying numbers both in terms of rates and relative are pretty similar with a slight relative advantage to Fox. I think their effectiveness this year was actually very similar, with Fox being a bit more polished and Hughes being more dynamic.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Mostly RAPM measurements, which suggest he's driving offense at a similar level, while being better defensively. And while I think Hughes is quite a bit more dynamic, I think he's still learning how to turn that into points. In terms of actual production, they are near identical in terms of rates at both 5v5 and on the PP, and their difference in scoring is almost entirely due to Hughes' TOI advantage on the PP since Fox is blocked by Deangelo. Breaking it down further, their underlying numbers both in terms of rates and relative are pretty similar with a slight relative advantage to Fox. I think their effectiveness this year was actually very similar, with Fox being a bit more polished and Hughes being more dynamic.
Very well said. I see Fox as a lot more reliable and consistent. Hughes is obviously more dynamic, but if I am picking a defenseman to start a team with I take the guy who is more reliable in his own zone. Fox's relative possession numbers are just nuts.

Interestingly enough, Fox actually outproduced Hughes in terms of 5v5 primary points (16 vs 13)

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

This last bolded part is interesting.

I felt like Hughes being so polished was one of his biggest strengths this year. He’s more polished than Makar imo.

Interesting to hear some feel Fox is stronger in that area. I haven’t seen a lot of Fox yet, so I’ll have to defer to Rangers fans, but I thought Hughes technique/play was extremely refined this year.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
This last bolded part is interesting.

I felt like Hughes being so polished was one of his biggest strengths this year. He’s more polished than Makar imo.

Interesting to hear some feel Fox is stronger in that area. I haven’t seen a lot of Fox yet, so I’ll have to defer to Rangers fans, but I thought Hughes technique/play was extremely refined this year.
If you watched Fox's rookie season, you'd have a hard time realizing he was an actual rookie. He just didn't really make many rookie mistakes.

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
This is my thinking as well ie Fox in his role was as effective Hughes offensively while being better defensively. One difference is that Fox does have more seasoning and age which I think Quinn in a year or two be better mature physically and mentally to be better than Fox at the same age.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Ranger fan saying Hughes now and in the future. I was very impressed from what I saw from him. Can definitely picture him capturing a Norris or two in his career.

Fox was fantastic. He is the Rangers best overall defense man, he has the potential to be a solid 1st pairing two way defense man like McDonagh who can be used in all situations. But, I dont think his ceiling is any higher than that. If Fox is able to be as good as a prime McDonagh [13-14] I'd be thrilled.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Rangers fans saying Fox could be prime Mcdonagh at some point which would be great. Yet Hughes could be close to prime Erik Karlsson one day. Easy choice! QH43

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Rangers fans saying Fox could be prime Mcdonagh at some point which would be great. Yet Hughes could be close to prime Erik Karlsson one day. Easy choice! QH43

I don't think Hughes will be a prime Erik Karlsson, but he will definitely be better than Fox.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The only dmen I think can be better than Hughes are Dahlin and Makar. Hughes is freaking special man and while Fox is awesome and has a crazy high ceiling it's just not the same as Hughes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Fox could turn out better than Hughes, and he could be better next season even

But seeing Hughes do well with the amount of Rangers fans who called him the most overrated prospect, and clowned him about the world juniors and saying his coach didn't trust him and he cant play defense.

It's funny seeing them eat crow after they doubled down on bashing hughes time and time again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad