Speculation: Hughes and Pettersson's Next Contracts

What will the next contracts be for Hughes and Pettersson?

• Total voters

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Dont forget the tax rate in Dallas is %36.53 and in Colorado is %41.08 where Vancouver is %52.93.
They get paid where they play.

Half the games are in other states or provinces at their tax rates and not only that American team unlike the Canadian based players players are subject to state and city jock taxes that can have them paying rates well above the Canadian tax rates. And they get paid in US dollars which last time i checked is a pretty good scenario for someone living in Canada.

it's not the gap your pointing out once the dust settles

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
I'd be surprised if anyone on a U.S. team is paying a higher tax rate than Vancouver. There's a reason why many players NTC's are filled with Canadian teams.

Edit: Can't forget about Commiefornia. 54% tax rate, what a joke.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Half the games are in other states or provinces at their tax rates and not only that American team unlike the Canadian based players players are subject to state and city jock taxes that can have them paying rates well above the Canadian tax rates. And they get paid in US dollars which last time i checked is a pretty good scenario for someone living in Canada.

Didn't Torts maintain a US residence to get around that? (hint: I ain't no tax expert hence my question)

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
Dont forget the tax rate in Dallas is %36.53 and in Colorado is %41.08 where Vancouver is %52.93.

Urgh..
Your numbers seem to be off. The Federal Tax rate at the highest tax bracket alone is 37%.. You also have to factor in FICA. How did you even come up with those numbers?

This is closer.

Texas Income Tax Calculator - SmartAsset

You can also need to account for the fact that half the games are not played at home. Depending on the state/province the athletes play in, they will be taxed differently.

Certain states have an advantage, but it's often overstated because people don't actually account for the differences properly.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Urgh..
Your numbers seem to be off. The Federal Tax rate at the highest tax bracket alone is 37%.. You also have to factor in FICA. How did you even come up with those numbers?

This is closer.

Texas Income Tax Calculator - SmartAsset

You can also need to account for the fact that half the games are not played at home. Depending on the state/province the athletes play in, they will be taxed differently.

Certain states have an advantage, but it's often overstated because people don't actually account for the differences properly.

Capfriendly accounts for the schedule: Miro Heiskanen Income Tax Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Based on 2021-22 schedule they have Dallas at 41.01, Colorado at 45.35 and Vancouver at 51.17. That's still pretty significant

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Capfriendly accounts for the schedule: Miro Heiskanen Income Tax Calculator Results - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Based on 2021-22 schedule they have Dallas at 41.01, Colorado at 45.35 and Vancouver at 51.17. That's still pretty significant
need tax experts to weigh in here. Earlier this year Burke did a segment on HNIC before he went to Pitt about the tax disadvantage for Canadian teams which he says he worked on with another agent. Then Alan Walsh put out a tweet that mentioned that there were things that could be done to limit the tax.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

True.

Its a different gap.

Its a gap.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
I really hope he gets this shit done...its been forever and now that both Heiskanen and Makar are signed Hughes shouldnt be too difficult to negotiate. Theres no other chips left to fall. That said, Makar getting 9 and Heiskanen getting 8.45 means I REALLY hope they can convince Hughes to take a bridge close to 6 somehow so they can fill out the roster. If he takes close to 6 and Petey is close to 8 then we do indeed have enough money to make things work. We'll see but I'm not hopeful given previous contract amounts and how much everyone else is getting.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I take some issue with how long this has dragged out. The fear is you have a big market throw EP an offer sheet that would walk him to UFA - a Matthews type contract. Matthews is underpaid and EP likely will be as well regardless of term, but it's still problematic. Short sort this out quickly.

Reactions: Bgav and timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I take some issue with how long this has dragged out. The fear is you have a big market throw EP an offer sheet that would walk him to UFA - a Matthews type contract. Matthews is underpaid and EP likely will be as well regardless of term, but it's still problematic. Short sort this out quickly.

They are playing with fire if they go out onto the market on Wednesday and add any meaningful money to the roster with the assumption they will simply be able to shed Holtby/Schmidt, 2 guys who might not actually have that big of a market.

The RFA signings are absolutely crucial and a single offer sheet could sewer this franchise.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think its naive to think any of these RFA’s wouldve signed by now. No agent would do that.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I think its naive to think any of these RFA’s wouldve signed by now. No agent would do that.
That’s a fair point and I should rephrase. It’s specifically bad in our situation because of how capped out we are. If we had a billion dollars of space without pressure to fill major gaps - which isn’t our case - then it’s whatever.

Reactions: 4Twenty

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
What happens in a scenario where both Pettersson and Garland sign high offersheets from two different teams? Surely the Canucks don't have the space to match both and also sign Hughes, Dickinson, etc.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
What happens in a scenario where both Pettersson and Garland sign high offersheets from two different teams? Surely the Canucks don't have the space to match both and also sign Hughes, Dickinson, etc.
They’ll match and sign them and then be forced to clear space further down the line for Hughes. Could be a situation where Hughes is without a contract for a while.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Can't see a flat cap environment being the time we see a flurry of poaching attempts. For an offersheet to work, there needs to be some overpayment. Sure, it could happen and is something Benning needs to be aware of, but multiple attempts by multiple teams? Probability seems low.

Reactions: Blue and Green

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
Can't see a flat cap environment being the time we see a flurry of poaching attempts. For an offersheet to work, there needs to be some overpayment. Sure, it could happen and is something Benning needs to be aware of, but multiple attempts by multiple teams? Probability seems low.
Is it crazy to think team X offers Pettersson 7x$9m and team Y offers Garland 5x$5m? That leaves the Canucks needing to pay Hughes, Dickinson, Juolevi, etc. with about $7m left in cap space.

The league is very aware of the Canucks' cap crunch.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Honestly, with the way management and ownership has decided the time is right to go all in (with a bottom 5 team) both Pettersson and Hughes can bend the canucks over a barrel if they want to (especially Pettersson). And they should want to. Honestly, all of Pettersson, Hughes and now Garland are attractive offer sheet targets. If only to further undermine the canucks cap structure now and in the future.

edit: ^^^ poster above said the same thing... Teams like Montreal, Calgary, Arizona, Buffalo, Rangers, Carolina, Ottawa, Devils, Seattle, Dallas, Jets, MInnesota, Nashville can meet any compensation terms on an offer sheet.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Im concerned about the sam ahoesque 4 year - 8.(whatever the max for that offer sheet level is)million.

It puts us in a bit of trouble this year and walks the player to free agency.

Dural

Jul 1, 2013
Imagine giving Benning credit for drafting someone like Boeser or Pettersson, only to lose said player because he couldn't perform basic cap management...while being a bottom team in the league.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Flat cap would be the best time to actually make it work.

But NHL GM's are cowards.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
They’ll match and sign them and then be forced to clear space further down the line for Hughes. Could be a situation where Hughes is without a contract for a while.

this, they can match as long as they aren’t over the cap by 10%, I don’t believe they’d be allowed to match both if it would put them over the cap by more than 10%

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad