Huge News!!! Nhlpa Offers Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Newsguyone said:
Bettman did a great job demonizing the players during the CBA. He won the battle of public opinion by making the players look greedy and the owners look like honorable men.
But look at these boards and talk to people. Some of these fans really dislike the players now.
Hockey has work to do.

In all fairness, unless you're of the opinion that Gary Bettman is a master ventriloquist, the players did far more harm to their image on their own than the owners ever could have done for them.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Hockeyfan02 said:
Owners coming off linkage, players coming off their no cap stance. Concessions by both sides being made. Why couldnt this have been done in December or last month? It's all about numbers now. Cap around the mid 40s should get a deal done. I'm more optimistic than I was last night, but I'm still not going to get my hopes up. If anyone can screw this up now, its these two sides.

Because quite frankly the owners had to prove they were damn serious before the players were going to believe it. The PA wasn't going to take the league seriously until a lockout carried on and not until the league proved they weren't going to bow down to the "shock and awa" 24% rollback offer. It sucks but it was probably necessary.

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
Also, as Chris Chelios and others have alluded to, I expect the NHL to blitz the media with a marketing campaign.
Chelios recently said that many players, coaches and GMs believe that the NHL has purposely let the league fall into disrepair so the league could paint a terrible picture coming into these negotiations?
No tv deal? Fine. Only makes us look better when the players refuse a salary cap.
Bill Wirtz is a classic example.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that 300 million dollar lockout fund to be completely dedicated to a marketing campaign. It's a nice PR move and could make it's money back tenfold.

King Fish

Jan 29, 2003
Where's ma pizza?
Visit site
I just heard on ESPN (sportscenter)that there could be a deal at hand. The rumor is the players agreed to a 45mill cap with no revenue sharing. Both sides get something, owners get a cap and no sharing revenue for the players. :handclap:

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
tantalum said:
Because quite frankly the owners had to prove they were damn serious before the players were going to believe it. The PA wasn't going to take the league seriously until a lockout carried on and not until the league proved they weren't going to bow down to the "shock and awa" 24% rollback offer. It sucks but it was probably necessary.
Just my opinion but I still think it was about each side trying to win instead of negotiating. You mean to tell me during all this time the players couldn't have said we might be willing to accept a cap if you are willing to give up linkage, or conversely the owners might have offered giving up linkage if they would accept a cap. Sorry, I don't buy it. Both sides have continually said they could not find common ground when every solution I have seen over the past several months has suggested a version of this compromise. In order to find common ground you have to be willing to look for it.

GtotheE

Feb 5, 2005
When did the talks end yesterday? (hour)
And are they meeting at the present moment?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
If I were the players, I would accept a 45-46 million hard cap, no - linkage, only with significant revenue sharing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I just heard on ESPN (sportscenter)that there could be a deal at hand. The rumor is the players agreed to a 45mill cap with no revenue sharing. Both sides get something, owners get a cap and no sharing revenue for the players.

i'm probably gonna be turning on ESPN radio in a few minutes so if i hear anything too from there i'll post it...

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
shnagle said:
Just my opinion but I still think it was about each side trying to win instead of negotiating. You mean to tell me during all this time the players couldn't have said we might be willing to accept a cap if you are willing to give up linkage, or conversely the owners might have offered giving up linkage if they would accept a cap. Sorry, I don't buy it. Both sides have continually said they could not find common ground when every solution I have seen over the past several months has suggested a version of this compromise. In order to find common ground you have to be willing to look for it.

These negotiations have their own logic and timetable to them and, unfortunately, you can't change that timetable.

Nobody wants to make a deal before they have to because they don't want second-guessing on what they could have got had they just hung on longer.

Bettman couldn't have even made January the drop-dead date -- the PA wouldn't have believed the date because, as we'll see, you could still get in a season if you started several weeks later.

ResidentAlien*

I heard it PA offered $52M league countered with $40M.
Both rejected by each other obviously
But they are close.
No link, Radio

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
Greschner4 said:
These negotiations have their own logic and timetable to them and, unfortunately, you can't change that timetable.

Nobody wants to make a deal before they have to because they don't want second-guessing on what they could have got had they just hung on longer.

Bettman couldn't have even made January the drop-dead date -- the PA wouldn't have believed the date because, as we'll see, you could still get in a season if you started several weeks later.
This is exactly my point. The importance during the entire lockout has been about each side getting what they want instead of negotiating a settlement. Great, each side stuck to its guns for months thinking they could get what they wanted instead of offering a compromise solution. Again, my point is that instead of focusing on finding the compromise each side was more concerned about winning. Hence, this never was a negotiation until yesterday because neither side ever brought anything new to the table until then.

X0ssbar

King Fish said:
I just heard on ESPN (sportscenter)that there could be a deal at hand. The rumor is the players agreed to a 45mill cap with no revenue sharing. Both sides get something, owners get a cap and no sharing revenue for the players. :handclap:

Not trying to dispute you or anything but I have been watching ESPN SC for the past hour and haven't caught that. They had EJ Hradek on and he mentioned that there is a deal to be made around 45 million but hadn't heard anything about an agreement being made.

I hope your right though..!

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
King Fish said:

:eek:

Somebody confirm or deny this before my head explodes.

Donnie D

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Newsguyone said:
Bettman did a great job demonizing the players during the CBA. He won the battle of public opinion by making the players look greedy and the owners look like honorable men. But look at these boards and talk to people. Some of these fans really dislike the players now.
Hockey has work to do.

Yeah great job. :banghead: Now he has to sell those little devils to an angry public.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
westcoast said:
:eek:

Somebody confirm or deny this before my head explodes.

BS. No way the players go all the way down to $45m overnight with no revenue sharing. If you're (Kingfish) going to lie, at least try to understand that the players actually WANT revenue sharing.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
just did an update on ESPN radio and they did usual "season expected to be canceled tomorrow at the news conference" which basically means "nothing new" at this point

doesn't mean stuff isn't still going on and all but nothing is getting out to the media yet it seems

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Jobu said:
BS. No way the players go all the way down to $45m overnight with no revenue sharing. If you're (Kingfish) going to lie, at least try to understand that the players actually WANT revenue sharing.

Well considering the one revenue sharing system in the players Dec 9 offer was worth $65 mil in revenues and in the last offer the league gave Saskin said the league only offered $80 mil in revenue sharing they aren't that far apart on that aspect. The other two options the players gave was $130 mil and $190 mil...but I don't think revenue sharing is as important to the PA as they have made it out to be of late.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Jobu said:
Exactly, I'm sure that if the players were to accept a cap, revenue sharing would have to be a major component so that as many teams as possible could get as close to that cap as possible.

Feb 28, 2002
Abbotsford, BC
Visit site
I am so pissed off at the NHL for not negotiating the cap, but then saying, no deal these talks are over?!?!?!

YOU WON YOU MORONS!!! YOU GOT WHAT YOU WANTED!!!

Now make the deal the best cap offer you can get and save what's left of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad