Huge News!!! Nhlpa Offers Cap

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by mudcrutch79, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. mudcrutch79

mudcrutch79 Registered User

Home Page:
    CP reporting...

That the NHLPA offered to agree to a salary cap, and the NHL declined. I'll try and get a link, the guys on TSN just said this.

2. Cloned

Cloned Amazing Alicia

Good catch, mudcrutch. I was just about to post this.

In and of itself this news is to a certain extent meaningless without getting any idea of what the numbers were on the proposed cap. However, the fact that the PA has reportedly proposed a cap is another compromise that could lead to better things.

3. Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan Registered User

At what numbers? If over $45 million or $50 million I can understand why. Otherwise it makes no sense.

4. CanOpener=AssCheck

CanOpener=AssCheck Registered User

Left Wing
    I just saw this aswell on TSN .... WTF is going on here....

5. mudcrutch79

Home Page:
    They gave no other information-it was just a bit of an offhand remark. It's a huge concession if they've offered it though.

6. leaflover

leaflover Stanley Cup 2022

Home Page:
    Any number details of any kind?

7. likea

likea Registered User

it depends on the number they put out, if its 55 or 60 million...thats insane, right now even 45 million would surprise me because of the lockout

if they would have went to 45 million in Aug....we would be playing hockey right now

8. likea

likea Registered User

and don't be surprised if this leads to a deal...if the NHLPA actually agreed to a cap then that is huge progress

9. Charge_Seven

Charge_Seven Registered User

Awesome.

So when the news broke that the PA rejected the deal that had four ridiculous triggers, prior to the triggers being released everyone felt right jumping all over them. Now that the show is on the other foot, with the NHL rejecting a cap proposal everyone wants to wait and see?

*In fairness, I don't know that anyone here posting attacked the PA for rejecting just the masses did. It's the right aproach to take, by waiting to see what th eoffer was, but in fairness, we all know it's in the 40-50 million range. A 45 million offer is a reasonable offer as long as no floor exists.

10. mudcrutch79

Home Page:
    CP strikes me as pretty credible-off the top of my head, I can't remember many stories blowing up in their face. TSN isn't much a rumour station either. If the PA has put that on the table, it sure shifts the pressure to the NHL.

11. Bicycle Repairman

Bicycle Repairman Registered User

Home Page:
    Bruce Garrioch is reporting that the two sides will meet Tuesday. A players' group led by Roenick, Iginla and Pronger are apparently ameniable to a salary cap.

Ottawa Sun

12. Jaded-Fan

Unless it is at numbers that they know the NHL could never accept. If so then it is especially disappointing that they began with a sham proposal of that 24% giveback and ended with a sham 'acceptance' of a Cap. I truly believe that if the players had early on given in on the Cap the owners would have negotiated within that framework and given quite a bit. I do not see how it could have worked the other way, a luxury tax will in no way guarentee that payrolls will keep anywhere close to that range of $32 million to $42 million, nor will it guarentee that salaries will not continue to eat up seventy something percent of revenues.

13. likea

likea Registered User

I attacked the PA because the triggers were a good starting point to negotiate

if the NHL turned down a low 40's cap, I will attack them as well...but if the turned down anything at or over 45 million...I have to agree

lockout losses is going to add up, the NHL will probabaly at least lose 20-30% of their revenues

50 million guaranteed is being in the same boat as before....

14. Jaded-Fan

No, the PA was attacked, rightly so, for rejecting the triggers without countering.

15. mudcrutch79

Home Page:
    If it was that, but with no floor, and significant revenue sharing, it would certainly put the owners in an awkward position.

16. [​IMG]
    "Austin, our offer is a salary cap; at one hundred thousand beeeellion dollars !"

[​IMG]
    "That's just not grooooovy baby mmhhmm yeasmmmhmm. ...boobies !"

Dollars to dognuts PA offered a cap around 70million. This is a non-starter, RIP 2005-2006.

17. PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion

In the Ottawa Sun article by Garrioch it said the offer for the cap was around 42 million with no linkage. I dunno if it's true or not but thats what it says.

18. likea

likea Registered User

the players proposing revenue sharing is like me telling you how to spend your money

its nuts????

50 million would not put the owners in an awkward position, most of the bottoms teams can only spend 32-38 million with revenue sharing....its still an 18 million dollar difference in patroll from top to bottom

thats to much for competitive balance, which is what this is about...even the Red Wings Pres. said as much

42 million hard cap would be more than fair for both sides

19. Cloned

Cloned Amazing Alicia

Well at the very least this gives pseudo-official confirmation of the fact that the PA is willing to move off the principle of no-cap, something that has been rumored for a while now.

The owners may never get linkage but if the numbers are right and the other components are in place this thing may get worked out sooner rather than later.

20. Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster Guest

Of course player salaries never did eat up seventy something per cent of revenues. Taken in again by the NHL/Levitt sleight of hand.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/03/reading_compreh.html

Taken in yet again.

21. Jaded-Fan

It did not . . . that article said that six players were coming up with a proposal to submit to the NHLPA and NHL to try and find a compromise. It was not regarding the supposed NHLPA Cap offer this thread is about. The specific reference in the Sun article to $42 million:

A source told the Sun a group of six players -- that was believed to include Roenick, Pronger and Iginla -- was trying to pitch a deal which would see the NHLPA accept a salary cap, likely with a $42-million US limit but without a link to revenues.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2005/02/15/931193-sun.html

22. hulkrogan

hulkrogan Registered User

Holy crap! If that article is accurate, my optimism is at an all time high. We have a few players known to tow the line saying the would accept a cap!?!?!?

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

23. likea

likea Registered User

that might not have been the offer given to the NHL first

24. leaflover

leaflover Stanley Cup 2022

Home Page:
    This was on sports centre?
    Or did they break for an update?

25. Cloned

Cloned Amazing Alicia

They introduced the second half of the show with the news. No details given and it was more of an aside than anything, probably because they don't have those details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.