Rumor: Huberdeau for Malkin + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Can he ? I know his nmc starts next season but couldn't they trade him before July?

According to CapFriendly, his NMC doesn't start til the 19/20 season, so if they trade him before 7/1, he can't block it. The acquiring team can then choose not to honor it going forward. Would be a real kick in the gut to Huberdeau, but it's happened to others (Bogosian for one when traded to Buffalo).

Reactions: Seanaconda

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I mean I understand that Huberdeau (or TT) being a huge piece to move. But it's not like futures or something is coming back. This is Malkin who even past 30 is still a top 10 center in the league.

I'm not advocating for the trade here, just think the values aren't far off.

Would prefer to move Trocheck instead of Huberdeau for Malkin and not even a fan of moving Trocheck tbh.
Malkin is an elite talent but he also has a ton of miles on that body and injuries have become an alarming concern. It's exciting as a Panthers fan to hear all these rumors but still prefer to chase the Russians and keep our core players together and see how they perform under Q.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Would prefer to move Trocheck instead of Huberdeau for Malkin and not even a fan of moving Trocheck tbh.
Malkin is an elite talent but he also has a ton of miles on that body and injuries have become an alarming concern. It's exciting as a Panthers fan to hear all these rumors but still prefer to chase the Russians and keep our core players together and see how they perform under Q.
That makes sense. I think it's logical to want to keep Huberdeau over Trocheck. Not sure how Pittsburgh would feel about it.

Yeah, it's definitely an exciting time as a panthers fan.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
I don’t see why either team does this.

Pitt would have no 2c and the Cats would have a logjam of centers.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Could you imagine if the Pens retool and get a decade younger by moving Malkin and Kessel for a few core pieces under 28

Malkin - 32
Huberdeau - 26

Kessel - 31
Zucker - 27

Not seeing this decade younger thing. Plus the Pens window is only the next few years, which Malkin and Kessel will be better than their respective trade pieces

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If Panarin is signed, yes Hoffman would likely be moved as Tallon has hinted at bringing in a vet D.
If Panarin isn't signed, I'd love to re-sign Hoffman, his shot is lethal and would love to see him and Tippett on the same PP one day.

1, 36 goal season, seems to suggest his shot isn't that lethal!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
That a boy. Malkin’s a Penguin. If Kessel ends up leaving, Malkin goes nowhere.

Kessel going or not going has nothing to do with Malkin's status.

What Malkin WANTS is the only thing that governs his status.

With a full NTC, if he WANTS to stay, then he stays.

BUT, if he WANTS out, then as a practical matter he'll get out.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Name one trade that was bad.

Some people will claim last season's deal with the Pens, but from Florida's perspective, that one added picks and cap space to be a big player come July 1.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Name one trade that was bad.

Chicago Blackhawks acquireDateFlorida Panthers acquire

Chicago_Blackhawks.gif
Michael Frolik
Alexander Salak
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 10, 2011
Hugh Jessiman
David Pacan
Jack Skille
Florida_Panthers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Washington Capitals acquireDateFlorida Panthers acquire

Washington_Capitals.gif
Dennis Wideman
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 28, 2011
Jake Hauswirth
2011 3rd round pick (#86-Jonathan Racine)
Florida_Panthers.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Malkin + 1st for huberdeau? I just hate how he misses so many games every season. If he wasn’t so injury prone all the time I’d be fine with it. But given his age and cap I’d rather huberdeau and the 1st isn’t that big of a deal

TyroneShoelaces

Jun 7, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'll preface this with stating that I don't mind trading Geno as a Pens fan in the right deal. However, I don't think this makes sense from either side.

I think it's bad value for the Pens giving up man who has brought so much to the organization and still delivers. A bad year and he's a PPG player. He's had one season in his entire career under a PPG. The guy is still a top 10 player in the league when healthy and actually focused. I, personally, certainly wouldn't add a first to him in any deal. Star power still sells.

I think it's bad value for Florida as well. Huberdeau is younger and on a better contract. I think he is a great player but he just had a career year so his value is undoubtedly inflated on here but he's obviously one hell of a player. Why get older? Why willing lose that magic Huberdeau and Barkov have? I guess Malkin helps sell tickets and maybe increases the chances of Panarin signing but, that doesn't seem enough to me.

Problems for the Pens would then be that they created a gaping hole at 2C. Have no one to play Huberdeau with since Guentzel is attached to Sid until they show they can't produce together anymore. Unless they make this deal then sign someone like Duchene, it doesn't help them.

If the Pens are trading Geno, it should be for multiple young pieces back. Not adding to him.

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
I don’t see why Malkin would accept this trade. Going from being #2 behind Sid to being #2 behind Barkov?

Malkin is a creature of habit, and if he’s going to change that habit, it’s to be a #1 center. Otherwise, he’s probably happy with where he is

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Makes no sense.

1. Panthers wouldn’t trade Huberdeau
2. Pretty sure the Malkin rumors got squashed about a month ago, he’s staying in Pitt
3. Pitt would have no 2C, and at the moment Malkin is still the more dynamic player so this trade makes them worse
4. Malkin+1st? What the hell? Those two pieces should never be packed together

IF Malkin wants out and goes to Florida... Trocheck + Hoffman for Malkin would be my starting point, Pitt probably adds something small. Or Trocheck + Heponiemi + 13 OA for Malkin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad