Hronek, Filip

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Should be easy to trade when he looks good. Teams will want good players. Especially depth on 3rd pair etc.
so, this is the logic about this whole tank thing I do not understand. Should the goal not be to get and keep good players, not get rid of them? Why get rid of someone who is "good," doesn't cost that much, and have years left in his career. For some ephemeral promise of someone even better who might come along (or not). I genuinely do not understand.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Should the goal not be to get and keep good players, not get rid of them?
The idea is that lots of people here don't think Jensen is part of the future for various reasons.

First, he's not THAT young. He's 28. He's just a couple of years away from the point where players start to decline. And we're still at least a couple of years away from competing. Second, people may think his year this year is an aberration that should be capitalized on while his value is high. They think he'll be worse after this season. Maybe. I disagree, but I can certainly understand the reasoning. Third, he's just not good enough. Even in his good year he's a middle pairing guy on a contending team, at best. He's not a top pairing guy. The guys you focus on keeping during a rebuild are mostly the core guys you can build around. No one includes a 28 year old d-man having his first real solid year which just happens to be at a #3/4 spot. Good #3/4 d-men don't grow on trees but they're still not core. They're pieces teams love to pick up for cup runs to add depth but you build around franchise goalies, elite top line centers, and number munching 1D.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
if he sits when DDK returns im gonna drive across the border to Detroit and slap someone in the organization

Reactions: KJoe88

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
if he sits when DDK returns im gonna drive across the border to Detroit and slap someone in the organization
Assuming no further injuries, I have a feeling Hronek is here to stay & that it'll be Ericsson sitting the majority of the time, with Kronner rotating in/out for a few games. Then ~1 month from now, Daley will be ready & traded upto 10 days before deadline. We can send Witkowski down to GR.

Either way 1 or more of our D could get injured, or "injured" or develop the Hossa-skin-rash-equipment-allergy, which may or may not be contagious but not lethal.

I think Jensen may even get us a 2nd, while Daley is probably a 3rd.

Feb 26th (day after TDL) will likely look like this:

Kronner/Cholo-Green
DDK-Hronek
Cholo/Kronner-Jensen??
Big E

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
The idea is that lots of people here don't think Jensen is part of the future for various reasons.

First, he's not THAT young. He's 28. He's just a couple of years away from the point where players start to decline. And we're still at least a couple of years away from competing. Second, people may think his year this year is an aberration that should be capitalized on while his value is high. They think he'll be worse after this season. Maybe. I disagree, but I can certainly understand the reasoning. Third, he's just not good enough. Even in his good year he's a middle pairing guy on a contending team, at best. He's not a top pairing guy. The guys you focus on keeping during a rebuild are mostly the core guys you can build around. No one includes a 28 year old d-man having his first real solid year which just happens to be at a #3/4 spot. Good #3/4 d-men don't grow on trees but they're still not core. They're pieces teams love to pick up for cup runs to add depth but you build around franchise goalies, elite top line centers, and number munching 1D.
Well, OK, then, as part of that logic, I get it, though not necessarily agree. But this is the system this league has built.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Glad to see Hronek finally get some confidence at the NHL level. I think he and Cholo are going to be really solid building blocks for the D, with Cholo being the 2 way anchor and Hronek being the offensive driver. As for Jensen you trade him now because he is 28 and his best asset is his skating. Even if this season isn't an exception, players that only have skating tend to fall off the face of the earth when that skating goes. That skating usually starts to slow around age 30. He isnt worth what it will take to keep him long term. If he was an rfa still and we could offer a year or two deal it'd be fine but he is going to command probably a 3 or 4 year deal.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Haven't gotten to watch him a lot, but the thing that stands out to me whenever i do watch him are his very precise and hard tape to tape passes, especially on the PP. Haven't really seen him stand out in a bad way in the defensive zone yet, but then again i really haven't paid great attention to that and i'm sure he's getting easy match-ups aswell.

I like that both Cholo and Hronek both have yet to properly fill out their frame, there's so much potential with both of them with Hronek clearly having better Offensive potential.

Abit OT but do we have nickname for Hronek yet?

Reactions: DetroitRed

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Haven't gotten to watch him a lot, but the thing that stands out to me whenever i do watch him are his very precise and hard tape to tape passes, especially on the PP. Haven't really seen him stand out in a bad way in the defensive zone yet, but then again i really haven't paid great attention to that and i'm sure he's getting easy match-ups aswell.

I like that both Cholo and Hronek both have yet to properly fill out their frame, there's so much potential with both of them with Hronek clearly having better Offensive potential.

Abit OT but do we have nickname for Hronek yet?
I think I've seen or heard him called Ronny.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I think I've seen or heard him called Ronny.
That's his inevitable nickname on the team. Shorten it to one sylable and add an "e" sound at the end. Bonus points if it's already a name or the single syllable ends in "e" already.

Does anyone have a more creative one?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
That's his inevitable nickname on the team. Shorten it to one sylable and add an "e" sound at the end. Bonus points if it's already a name or the single syllable ends in "e" already.

Does anyone have a more creative one?
A-A-ron (for assists?)

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
To me, Hronek's at a stage of development now where the best place for him to get more experience is the NHL. I think he'd only develop slower now if they sent him back down.

If he has to be sent down for a few games once Daley returns, so be it, but he shouldn't finish the season, or even the second week of the month of March in the AHL. Making room for Hronek is the minimum that Detroit needs to accomplish at the February trade deadline.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
To me, Hronek's at a stage of development now where the best place for him to get more experience is the NHL. I think he'd only develop slower now if they sent him back down.

If he has to be sent down for a few games once Daley returns, so be it, but he shouldn't finish the season, or even the second week of the month of March in the AHL. Making room for Hronek is the minimum that Detroit needs to accomplish at the February trade deadline.

Most organizations would trade someone else to keep Hronek or scratch one of the useless vets. I mean, does Kronwall really need to play every game this season? Have him sit awhile until they can work out a deal for Jensen.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Most organizations would trade someone else to keep Hronek or scratch one of the useless vets. I mean, does Kronwall really need to play every game this season? Have him sit awhile until they can work out a deal for Jensen.

its kronwalls last season in his career. He's not going to sit unless he (1) is spectacularly bad, which he is not, or (2) injured

Reactions: Winger98 and NEWing

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Assuming no further injuries, I have a feeling Hronek is here to stay & that it'll be Ericsson sitting the majority of the time, with Kronner rotating in/out for a few games. Then ~1 month from now, Daley will be ready & traded upto 10 days before deadline. We can send Witkowski down to GR.

Hronek roll for the Wings this season is to get playing time in the NHL when there is a d-man opening and he is taking advantage of the d-man injuries that the Wings are going through at the moment. When DDK and Daley gets back in the lineup, Hronek will be sent back down to GR to get more minutes there until the Wings move either Jensen or Daley at the TDL. Plus the Wings will not make the playoffs this season and GR chances of making the playoffs are much better, so the Wings would want Hronek to get more playoff experience in the AHL and then the Wings can focus on Hronek on getting a better chance to win a Wings roster spot for 19-20.

Witkowski has cleared waivers 6-7 times already since last season and the Wings have no intentions of sending him down to GR because: (1). If an injury/illness happens to a Wings d-man/forward unexpectedly and for a game or two, Wit can fill in as he is right there with the team. & (2). GR already has 6 veterans in our roster already and they are rotating sitting a vet out for each game. Sending Wit to GR would mean that 2 vets would have to sit out (him being one of them) and his Wings role as an extra d-man/forward would be useless.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit

It is usually helpful to scratch an older guy for a few games here and there and let him rest up if you can convince him to sit. It doesn't sound like the ideal plan for for Hronek's development though.

The good news is they are trying to rebuild. So, they should be making trades for picks anyway and making room for Hronek wouldn't require more than what is possible in that regard.

The possibility of Kronwall agreeing to sit and not returning for another season when he seems to be feeling healthier than he has in years isn't assured and may even be unlikely. He strikes me as a guy who wants to play if he can play.

I would be happier with Jensen filling in for a sitting Kronwall instead, but Jensen is a bonus trade possibility and I don't think it would be in the best interests of the team to not only pass that up, but also bench Hronek half the time doing so. I'm not in that camp.

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That "Ronny" is nice.

BTW:

Dahlin, 0.53
Heiskanen, 0.43
Hronek, 0.43
Cholowski, 0.36
Pilut, 0.36
Jokiharju, 0.32

Rookie defenceman pts/game at this season.

Reactions: KJoe88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad