Hronek, Filip

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hronek playing high quality minutes in Grand Rapids is definitely better than having him get little to no time in Detroit. But I'd still much much rather trade a defenseman and let him continue to learn in the NHL.

Tough to trade a defenceman, if there's no buyer. But I'm quite sure Kenny is negotiating possibilities currently.

Anything doesn't happen in one night. Green and DeKeyser could be back, but could also get setbacks after few games. We'll be patient.

Griffins next home game is on saturday, so that's the earliest reasonable moment to send Hronek down. He can earn NHL salary until that, as a reward of his good effort.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Well obviously that is the best method. But you deal a defenseman when the return makes sense. Hronek staying up full time at this point should be a side benefit of whatever deal you make and not the reasoning.

Hronek has been good, yes. But he has not been so good that you simply need to make space for him no ifs, ands, or buts. He also has not been so good that the Wings are all of a sudden going to dump 20+ mins a night on him in the NHL.
Agreed, I'm not saying dump somebody just because Hronek is younger. But Detroit should already be looking to sell, so if you have one or more young players that are doing ok, then it makes dealing a Daley or Jensen all the more palatable (if the return justifies the trade).

If kids have to climb up and down the ladder here and there due to health, it's not a big deal. I just don't want any hesitation about being a seller at the TDL, assuming there's a decent market for the logical veterans to move.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Agreed, I'm not saying dump somebody just because Hronek is younger. But Detroit should already be looking to sell, so if you have one or more young players that are doing ok, then it makes dealing a Daley or Jensen all the more palatable (if the return justifies the trade).

If kids have to climb up and down the ladder here and there due to health, it's not a big deal. I just don't want any hesitation about being a seller at the TDL, assuming there's a decent market for the logical veterans to move.

Absolutely. I wasn't saying that you were anti making the move or stumping for it because of age. Just reiterating the idea that the fact that Hronek looks like he could stick right now is a reason why a move is palatable, but not an impetus to make the move itself.

Reactions: jkutswings

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I would bet that even if they do move a dman before the deadline, Hronek is still likely to go back to GR.

FrolundaRedWings

Feb 27, 2017
Awesome highlights and they didn't even include his unreal World Championship performance. Really excited to see him get a full year in the NHL next year, I hope he can overachieve and eventually become a top pairing guy for us.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Most will have second year slowdown, not Hronek. I expect him be even better next year

Reactions: Realgud

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I think everyone is sleeping on him, but he has amazing tools to be a top-pairing dman. With him and Cholowski, I'm actually excited about the defense for once.

Reactions: A Few Good Males

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
I think everyone is sleeping on him, but he has amazing tools to be a top-pairing dman. With him and Cholowski, I'm actually excited about the defense for once.
Cholowski will be a Braun with better skater at best. That is my opinion.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Larkin is Helm with hands, Cholowski is Braun that can skate.
Haha hopefully Braun that can skate turns out as well as Helm with hands.

In hind sight Larkin isn't even Helm with hands. He's Helm that can still use his hands, passing and shot while skating. I feel like the last generation of speedsters (Helm, Hagelin) were just as fast as this new wave of McDavid, Larkin, Point etc. but the new guys can actually make plays while skating. Helm just carries the puck from one end of the rink to the other and then "uhhhh what do I do now"

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Haha hopefully Braun that can skate turns out as well as Helm with hands.

In hind sight Larkin isn't even Helm with hands. He's Helm that can still use his hands, passing and shot while skating. I feel like the last generation of speedsters (Helm, Hagelin) were just as fast as this new wave of McDavid, Larkin, Point etc. but the new guys can actually make plays while skating. Helm just carries the puck from one end of the rink to the other and then "uhhhh what do I do now"
No hockey IQ. That's Helm's real problem. It becomes more evident as his skating becomes slower. He doesn't even know where he's supposed to be on the ice when paired with a guy like Hirose.

I think part of the problem back in the days was that if you were fast, your teammates couldn't keep up with you and you had nobody to pass to. So you went about it on your own, similar to what AA was doing prior to this season. Nowadays, there are lots of fast kids in lower leagues. Not sure why that happened, but you can tell by watching junior games. Even as a pro, Helm didn't have too many linemates that can keep up the pace other than Nyquist. In any case, Helm can't finish, we all know that.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I don't really love the heavy criticism of our few good players like Hronek and Bertuzzi. Because our roster is so shitty, the few decent players we have are forced to take on more responsibility than they should. Hronek is a second pairing defenseman forced to play #1 minutes, of course he's struggling. Bertuzzi is probably a second-line winger tasked with first line scoring expectations which he isn't going to meet, same thing with Larkin really.

Not to say these players are immune from criticsm, Hronek was poor last night, but I just don't love our tendency to tear down the few decent building blocks on this team when reality is we just need better players and that takes time. I think a change in coaching staff is necessary too, although I'm not sure how feasible that is until the offseason due to COVID.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I don't really love the heavy criticism of our few good players like Hronek and Bertuzzi. Because our roster is so shitty, the few decent players we have are forced to take on more responsibility than they should. Hronek is a second pairing defenseman forced to play #1 minutes, of course he's struggling. Bertuzzi is probably a second-line winger tasked with first line scoring expectations which he isn't going to meet, same thing with Larkin really.

Not to say these players are immune from criticsm, Hronek was poor last night, but I just don't love our tendency to tear down the few decent building blocks on this team when reality is we just need better players and that takes time. I think a change in coaching staff is necessary too, although I'm not sure how feasible that is until the offseason due to COVID.

Excatly. The most effective way to improve is from the bottom up, not the top down.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

I’m not so sure he is only a 2nd pairing dman. He is a young guy playing top pairing minutes facing the opposition’s best with a 3rd pairing dman playing on the top pair on a team with 1 good center and a terrible coach.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
It seems reallly easy to overlook how many good plays this guy actually makes, cause he’s out there so much in this shit show, and he’s only got the equivalent of 1.5 NHL seasons under his belt. He hasn’t been great so far, but neither has anyone else, and Hronek, crazy as it seems to say, has the hardest job on the worst team in the NHL. I think people really don’t understand the magnitude of how stressful that job would be for anyone, let alone a sophomore.

Guys, he’s still a kid. And he’s playing a role that Kronwall didn’t even play until he was in his 30s. And that was on a much better team.

So just have some perspective. He’d look better with more experience. He’d look better on a better team. He’d look better in a lesser role against easier competition more often. But he is literally benefiting from none of that right now. He’s still a very talented and capable guy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It is so hard to judge some of these young guys considering the ridiculous burden they have to actually make this team competitive. Guys like Marc Staal are literally warm bodies out there, and any player with skill is going to have to try and make up for the lack of talent everywhere else.

It is hard to overstate how garbage this team is in some of the most important positions, and the talented guys we do have aren't a Sidney Crosby or Connor McDavid where they can shift the course of the game by their talent alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad