Howson named AHL President

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Interesting.

Don’t worry Scott, if things don’t work out, you’ll always have a job available with the Oilers.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Or maybe MacT replaces Howson. :)
Meh, I never got the hate for MacT. Players loved playing for him as a coach.

As a GM, his Perron for Paajarvi trade, then moving Perron for a 1st was great. Purcell for Gags at the time was a big win as well. The rest was all minor stuff. The only trade I'd knock him for was Petry, but he has become a far greater defenceman in Montreal than he ever was here. If you want to argue he didn't make enough blockbuster trades to improve the team, I don't think that was the goal of ownership or management at the time. We were horrific and needed to rebuild.

He's a good guy, and not one of the ones we should be including in with the likes of Lowe and Howson.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I met Scott a couple times.

He is a great person and a hard worker.

Hooked me up with an envelope of tickets for the AHL Roadrunners during the lock out years ago. Wish him the best!!

Reactions: belair

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

As a GM, his Perron for Paajarvi trade, then moving Perron for a 1st was great. Purcell for Gags at the time was a big win as well. The rest was all minor stuff. The only trade I'd knock him for was Petry, but he has become a far greater defenceman in Montreal than he ever was here. If you want to argue he didn't make enough blockbuster trades to improve the team, I don't think that was the goal of ownership or management at the time. We were horrific and needed to rebuild.

He's a good guy, and not one of the ones we should be including in with the likes of Lowe and Howson.
Fired as coach, hired as GM. 'Trades are hard'. 'Visually better.' 'Bold moves'. Nikitin, Ference, Eakins, The Krueger debacle. Failed to improve the system, continued failure in terms of draft and development.

He was the poster boy for Oiler nepotism in the OBC era.

Probably a really interesting dude to have a discussion with--would assume he doesn't drink--but he deserves to be bunched in with the OBC. The guy keeps landing on his feet.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

To be honest I don't mind MacT. But he is very much a symbol of the OBC and if he does come back a lot of people on here will lose their minds.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Too bad for the Oilers if true. I think Howsen gets some really unfair hate. He liked Nikitin and some can't let that go, to me that seems to be his biggest sin. He was here for the Lowe regime which until he left had been very successful and was then gone for the Tambellini shit show while he was in Columbus, where in retrospect he did a strong job. He came back for the MacT era and was relegated under Chiarelli to an amateur role. In that role the teams drafting and developing was strong. Seems with it on his radio apperances too. He seems like the most competent guy from the OBC and IMO has had more success in his career than given credit for.

Reactions: McDNicks17

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Fired as coach, hired as GM. 'Trades are hard'. 'Visually better.' 'Bold moves'. Nikitin, Ference, Eakins, The Krueger debacle. Failed to improve the system, continued failure in terms of draft and development.

He was the poster boy for Oiler nepotism in the OBC era.

Probably a really interesting dude to have a discussion with--would assume he doesn't drink--but he deserves to be bunched in with the OBC. The guy keeps landing on his feet.
Nikitin was a gamble and we had tons of cap space with a complete trash roster he inherited. Wasn't that big of a loss. Team was obviously not trying to compete during that time, and signings like Nikitin are decent when you are trying to hit big and resell assets for picks during said rebuild. Not to mention every GM in the league has a history of overpaying at least a couple veteran guys who they know bring veteran leadership, something that us fans can't really comprehend without being in the room.

For my money he's a great hockey mind. Every player who played for him has talked about how great of a coach he was, how hard they battled for him. He, like Tambellini, were essentially told to stand pat and let our rebuild progress. I don't see that as a huge slight against them.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Nikitin was a gamble and we had tons of cap space with a complete trash roster he inherited. Wasn't that big of a loss. Team was obviously not trying to compete during that time, and signings like Nikitin are decent when you are trying to hit big and resell assets for picks during said rebuild. Not to mention every GM in the league has a history of overpaying at least a couple veteran guys who they know bring veteran leadership, something that us fans can't really comprehend without being in the room.

For my money he's a great hockey mind. Every player who played for him has talked about how great of a coach he was, how hard they battled for him. He, like Tambellini, were essentially told to stand pat and let our rebuild progress. I don't see that as a huge slight against them.
We traded away a pick for the opportunity to sign Nikitin as a UFA. There was no committed rebuild in his time as a GM. If you asked him candidly, he'd tell you he was really trying to build a competitive product. The fact of the matter is that trades are hard and MacT was out of his element as an NHL GM.

Not really interested in digging up ancient history, just pointing out that he absolutely deserves to be lumped into that dark part of Edmonton Oilers history. Thankfully their incompetence resulted in something positive in the end, even if it was decided by four lottery balls.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

I liked Mac T as a player and coach but to call him a "great hockey mind" is an absolute disgrace.

The guy is dumb as a doorknob.

The poop that comes out of that guys mouth, while entertaining, shows a complete lack of tact.

He can be a great player and coach + buy a MBA and still be a complete moron. To me that's Mac T.

From Nikita to Ference to Eakins to Petry to Schultz to...

He took a bad team, that appeared to be turning the corner a bit, and made it significantly worse. That takes something special. Not special good.

Reactions: Keggatron

Satire

Nov 20, 2016

Yeah I didn't think his tenure as coach or GM was bad at all either. I don't think he necessarily hit it out if the park but he was probably the best GM we had during the decade of darkness. (Not saying that is hard either mind you)... Biggest knocks I have against him are Petry and Eakins. Pretty bad moves there.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Yeah I didn't think his tenure as coach or GM was bad at all either. I don't think he necessarily hit it out if the park but he was probably the best GM we had during the decade of darkness. (Not saying that is hard either mind you)... Biggest knocks I have against him are Petry and Eakins. Pretty bad moves there.
Come on, toby and horcoff on the first line ? He was horrible. He still is. He will always be.

Reactions: Keggatron

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Come on, toby and horcoff on the first line ? He was horrible. He still is. He will always be.

This is just such an unbelievably asinine post. Peterson was never used in the top 6 for more than spot duty and things like that happen on nearly every team in the league. Horcoff was an excellent player who's play on the 1st line had the Oilers within inches of a Stanley Cup if not for Ward.

Reactions: Seachd

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Great memories
Screenshot_20200214-171207_Chrome.jpg

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
This is just such an unbelievably asinine post. Peterson was never used in the top 6 for more than spot duty and things like that happen on nearly every team in the league. Horcoff was an excellent player who's play on the 1st line had the Oilers within inches of a Stanley Cup if not for Ward.
What about the 10 thousand other mistakes he made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad